Thinking of switching to LED for the summer time?

• Thread starter Miked1988
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Miked1988

Miked1988

My garage has been getting in the 100s (I’m in northern cali) this past month and I just lost 20 plants.. I tried a portable ac (10,000 btu) it helped a little bit but keeps on tripping the power.. I’ve been using 2 1000w hps.. but was thinking of getting some REAL leds (no burples) any suggestions?

I need a light (Was thinking of a Quantum board most likely) that has a 6x4 footprint for flowering.. so one that is thin and long Would be preferred..

All suggestions appreciated!

thanks y’all!

AngmohGrowz

AngmohGrowz

Many of us use Chinese Alibaba lights. Kingbrite is probably the most trusted brand. Some others are Geeklight, Hortibloom, and Meiju.

I just ordered 4 x 240w QBs for a 4x4. Two would be plenty, but as I can dim these down a bit of overkill will be great.

From any of these companies, you will either choose quantum boards or strips. Both are good and are better than the other depending on your setup and preference. I recommend going with several smaller lights. If a light breaks you will have plenty still running. Doesn't hurt to have a few backup boards for a larger setup as well. After choosing your type and size of light, you will have choices for LED Diodes. Epistar for reds is lower quality and has a shorter life span. They are also much cheaper than Osram or Cree. It's completely up to you if you'd like to get UVA diodes as well.

growsince79

growsince79

My garage has been getting in the 100s (I’m in northern cali) this past month and I just lost 20 plants.. I tried a portable ac (10,000 btu) it helped a little bit but keeps on tripping the power.. I’ve been using 2 1000w hps.. but was thinking of getting some REAL leds (no burples) any suggestions?

I need a light (Was thinking of a Quantum board most likely) that has a 6x4 footprint for flowering.. so one that is thin and long Would be preferred..

thanks y’all!
If it's Already in the 100s. I don't think running LEDs will help much. Maybe lower it 5_10. Running lights at night will hel

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Many of us use Chinese Alibaba lights. Kingbrite is probably the most trusted brand. Some others are Geeklight, Hortibloom, and Meiju.

I just ordered 4 x 240w QBs for a 4x4. Two would be plenty, but as I can dim these down a bit of overkill will be great.

From any of these companies, you will either choose quantum boards or strips. Both are good and are better than the other depending on your setup and preference. I recommend going with several smaller lights. If a light breaks you will have plenty still running. Doesn't hurt to have a few backup boards for a larger setup as well. After choosing your type and size of light, you will have choices for LED Diodes. Epistar for reds is lower quality and has a shorter life span. They are also much cheaper than Osram or Cree. It's completely up to you if you'd like to get UVA diodes as well.

Most of us? Only those who don't know shit about leds

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Check out Amare Technology. Ive been using their lights since 2016. They were/are developed by a grower. Contact him by email and ask his advice as to what you need.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

thanks y’all!

You could just put in another circuit for the A/C if it's tripping for cheaper then buying new lights most likely unless your box if full atm. A/C usually need to be on their own circuit. Specially if you are running them @ 120. Forget it if it's on the same circuit of the lights.

Did you insulate the garage doors and seal them? Most garages don't have insulation in the walls or overhead depending on location. You will prob have to run A/C regardless.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If going led and the price is right I would suggest strips over boards for more even coverage. That's the only complaint I have with my hlg 600 qb. I love the light itself but I have seriously contemplated cutting the heatsink to space the boards a little better.

DoubleG420

DoubleG420

I’m on my 3rd LED and it’s a 648 Diablo hlg. I wouldn’t recommend anything else. Really is the business. Depending on your budget there’s some great QB and COBs out there. But you get what you pay for. Spider farmer or mars hydro TS or TSW are good and a little cheaper but that’s not based on my own experience but friends getting good results.

Top Bottom