This Bill Could Bar You From Smoking (sad Sacks)

• Thread starter indicabush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indicabush

indicabush

This Bill Could Bar You From Smoking Marijuana In Your Own Apartment

1200x600-2_3.jpg

Californians: you may want enjoy those cozy, smoke-wreathed Netflix nights on the couch while you can. With the Sunshine State poised for a November vote on legalizing recreational cannabis, a new bill could make it illegal for renters to smoke marijuana in their own homes.

"Secondhand smoke, regardless of whether it's smoke from tobacco or marijuana, is especially problematic in multiunit apartments and condos because the smoke easily travels the windows, doors and other ventilation systems," said Jim Wood, the state assemblyman who introduced the bill. "It's a nuisance that tenants should not have to live with."

The proposed bill is an extension of California's anti-tobacco laws, which let landlords and property managers "prohibit the smoking of tobacco products on the property, in a dwelling unit, in another interior or exterior area, or on the premises on which the dwelling unit is located."

If November's ballot measure legalizing recreational marijuana gets passed, landlords could put similar provisions in their rental agreements barring marijuana use in or around the unit.

Landlords could ban marijuana, just like they can ban tobacco

Whether landlords should prohibit marijuana use completely, or allow it in certain forms, attorney Bret Sachter tells the rental site Zillow, it's "up to you and is a decision that should be made with an understanding of local marijuana laws."

"However, if you do choose to prohibit marijuana use to some degree, it is always best to make it clear in the lease, I have seen leases in Washington that prohibit smoking and specify that this prohibition applies equally to cigarettes, cigars, marijuana and all other types of smoke," writes Sachter.

You'd think switching to edibles or concentrates could forestall hassles with even the most confirmed anti-drug zealot landlord - because if you're not bothering any of your neighbours with smoke, who cares, right? Wrong, says Sachter.

"Marijuana is still illegal under federal law," he writes, "[landlords] can include a clause prohibiting conduct that is unlawful under state and federal law," and that includes marijuana in any form.

Link w/video...

Will Oregon follow?

ken dog

ken dog

People should not smoke indoors when other people in other apartments can smell their smoke... it's a total violation of their negative rights (for the Libertarians out there).:)

indicabush

indicabush

Anybody out there for a initiative on odoriferous cooking smells emanating from someone's palace?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I can see both sides of this coin, back in seattle during new years eve me and my ex went to her friends house for dinner, we cooked up lobster and steaks inside.. Stunk the fucking place up so bad the manager from upstairs came down and complained about the smell...And that was just fucking seafood! But yeah it stunk pretty bad.

There are people out there who are allergic to smoke, Or just plain don't like the smell, I for one do not like nor appreciate ciggie smokers, being a former one my self i now know how fucking offensive that odor is.

Same for marijuana My mom can't stand the smell of the smoke, let alone the herbs.. Its not a scent for everyone.

If you live in an apartment you should just either get a negative ion generator not too expensive, and also get a smoke buddy and blow into that, Or take your ass outside on the balcony.

I'm sure by now no one gives a shit if they see you smoking weed in califorina. lol so no reason to be all discreet and paranoid about getting high outside.

Top Bottom