This Months Run

• Thread starter EugeneOregon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon

This months run
Shot of cryogenic sublimator, temperature set point at mantle, and vacuum reading. This is this months med and my aches and pains are anxious for this run to finish up. Starting dispensary extract was deep brown, almost dark and smelled terpy but nice. There are steps before this shot but I like this stage best. Near the end means fresh vaped THC right out of the unit. It has a kick that cures that fresh lolz.

The vacuum shown is reading ¾ of one micron. Room pressure is 760,000 microns and perfect vacuum is zero microns. This is deep vacuum. Mantle temp shown is 129C. Darker less pure extract is brown and in the bottom with a white PTFE stir bar zooming around. Light yellow on cold finger is nearly pure Delta 9 THC accumulating slowly. These are low pressures and so very low temps to evaporate D9 THC and catch it on the cold finger as a solid with ice water cooling the cold finger. D9 THC is solid at ice water temp. So when the gas evaporated from the liquid in the bottom (brown) it changed to a gas. When the gas contacted the cold finger the gas is frozen as a solid from gas form, skipping the liquid stage. This is called sublimation. Sublimation can also mean a solid changing directly to a gas.

An adjustment upwards of just ten degrees C will darken up the collecting compound with trace higher boiling impurities but it goes much faster. It just is not going to be clear and uber pure though generally it is trace amounts.

Two advantages of using this device slower at this low of temp is

1) The cold finger can collect way more because the heat from incoming gas collected as a solid (mostly) has time to get transfered away from the surface into the ice water. So the surface as it grows maintains the ability to freeze the D9 THC to a much greater degree and hold more, and

2) The higher boiling contaminates seem to be all but absent at the cold finger when the stir bar is spinning VERY fast and allowed time like this.

P

progeny-prodigy

i think its amazing how there arent more graphical vacuum gauges lik urs. they seem invaluable to knowing whats going on but the majority of people i see have a digital gauge that just has the current pressure displayed

EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon

i think its amazing how there arent more graphical vacuum gauges lik urs. they seem invaluable to knowing whats going on but the majority of people i see have a digital gauge that just has the current pressure displayed
The importance is the type of sensor being used. The Pirani based sensor systems are designed in a way that the sensor itself provides nearly instant feedback to the electronics so even tiny blips like turning on the spin bar or turning it off early in the boil will be seen easily. So a graph function and graph bar are nice. The downside to a Pirani sensor is it must be kept out of the contamination so some screens are installed on the t-joint KF-16 centering rings and the sensor is place verticle to the flow down to the pump. The other downside is it only becomes accurate really at about 1000 microns then down to one micron. It still tries to show pressure but it can't be accurate outside those bounds.

The HVAC style gauges like the one I have is robust but the sensor does not really have instant feedback. Several seconds lag is perfectly fine mostly but it makes a graphing function sort of pointless but also I think the best my HVAC digital can go down to is 20 microns and it seems to be in 10 or 20 micron intervals, but it also reads much higher pressures accurately and the sensor is not so delicate. Plus the gauge and sensor are one unit in a rubber sleeve.

I got that vacuubrand unit with sensor for about $350 on sale on Amazon which is pretty cheap but of course the screened centering rings for the KF fittings were $25 each! Lolz, three of them on a T joint hehe. All my refinements start well above 100 microns but when I have it dialed in after the terps slowly get pulled out the pressure pulls down to ¾ micron on the display. It really lets me know when the last of the terps have been pulled out. Terps mess me up when it gets to the sublimator stage. I have had he HVAC unit hooked up but the lag drove me nuts. Most gauges like that are designed to let an HVAC tech know when a coolant line is completely purged of atmosphere before they fill the line again with coolant. They consider 500 microns and less purged for their purposes so really the gauges are designed around their needs.

This is not a cheap hobby but I bet my friends flying RC planes or going fishing in their boats spend more than I do on things. Plus the end result in my hobby is more fun after I'm finished than fixing broken airplanes or gutting fish...

EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon

Here is how that dab turned out after some more refinement. The dark is the left overs in the boiling flask. I take them out and they are used too, but look at the contrast. This is highly purified D9 and I sense a MAJOR dab is in my immediate future on this stuff. It would be difficult to refine it to higher purity. Now... time to get high.
4FC4B10C 532A 4228 8108 C59B2C6E1AF7

P

progeny-prodigy

those hvac gauges only hav lag cause of the microprocessor the pressure transducer actually reacts quite quickly. i made my own that doesnt have lag and graphs the pressure and temps on the same screen. its super heady but lik u said not great resolution sub 500 microns. applied science has a great post about learning to read pirani sensors electrically and lik most sensors they r pretty simple i just dont have one to play with

P

progeny-prodigy

@EugeneOregon is there any way u would be willing to send me a few of ur old videos that got taken down from youtube? especially the ones detailing ur processes for, dewaxing using alumina, steam terpene stripping and especially ur chromatography video's

EugeneOregon

EugeneOregon

@EugeneOregon is there any way u would be willing to send me a few of ur old videos that got taken down from youtube? especially the ones detailing ur processes for, dewaxing using alumina, steam terpene stripping and especially ur chromatography video's
I only use an iPad really for things and did not store any of the videos on it. All videos got erased when I delete the account. Sorry. I have improved most procedures anyway so the info was a bit stale.

P

progeny-prodigy

i see, said the blind man :/

it wasnt even the specifics that mattered really, i mean correct specifics r important but just showing video of what happens to x when u do y in this context is so much better than a write up even if its well written and has step by step pictures.
just finding video showing regular dcvc or any preporitive small scale chromatography actually being utilized is rare on youtube and the internet in general. i kno cause i had been looking for well documented procedures like yours and there's a serious dearth of data lik urs on the topic of cannabis.
i have talked to at least 3 people in the last few days who were looking for information that was in ur videos and i had to point them to write ups instead. luckily for me i watched ur chromatography vids enough that i have your whole process from those video's internalized. its other people i wanted to help lol
you might like to check out future4200.com its new but the alot more extraction, post processing and distillation topics there with high level discussion and im sure ur insight would be appreciated there

Top Bottom