This morning I drenched my buds with Spinosad

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Most of you you know I light dep so I have buds outside.
I started spraying the spinosad this morning, and moths started flying every where! :mad:

I frigging Drenched all the buds. Used a whole gal. on em.

I dont like spraying anything really, especially on buds...
and havent had to spray for anything outside this year.
.lots of Preditor bugs in my garden this year.(thanks mother nature!) :)

But If I dont spray spinosad on the buds...I will kick my self this fall when I find worms:(

and Preditors can't get those worms out of the buds when they get thick.
gonna spray em with the Safer Caterpillar in a couple days

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Uh.... I hope when you say 'buds', you mean that they're only JUST starting to form. Otherwise, it may have been a little bit too late.

I start Tx on my girls once bud-set begins, and then every two weeks thereafter.

dankworth

dankworth

I believe Cap's bennies contain the active ingredient in Spinosad, and it is bacterial, so it can be cheaply and effectively propagated in a tea.
I believe the same bennie pack also contains the stuff found in Actinovate which is supposed to reduce odds of PM problems.
You would have to double-check.

Teas w/his bennies have ended up being the cheapest way to go about a lot of things I have found, in terms of cost per application vs. storebought stuff.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Uh.... I hope when you say 'buds', you mean that they're only JUST starting to form. Otherwise, it may have been a little bit too late.

I start Tx on my girls once bud-set begins, and then every two weeks thereafter.

well crap :confused:
these are are about 35 days into flower.......bout 25 or so days to go.
BGat35days

and another bed is 25 days in..

Bubbakush25days

Seamaiden; Do you think it was too late to spray ?

F

FruitOfTheLabor

your ok.. just make sureif it rains to shake ur buds off.. and hopefully a nice day of rain will take care of getting that shit off the buds... we did it last year and had 4 weeks to go and they came out beautiful.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
your ok.. just make sureif it rains to shake ur buds off.. and hopefully a nice day of rain will take care of getting that shit off the buds... we did it last year and had 4 weeks to go and they came out beautiful.

It was 93 degrees today..with a nice breeze...Im pretty sure the spinosad dryed..
93 tomorrow..and 89 Tuesday.....I may hit them with Safer on Tuesday..
Then break out the mosquito nets for the harlequin (it still has 35 days to go)..
most of the moths will lay their eggs on the harley...Im sure of it.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Those covers and no air circulation are making things sweat under there.
Your right Kolah. it does sweat in there.
Thats why I take the cover off just as soon as its dark enough out.....
not a whole lot of water on the plastic when I do that
I think its gonna work out...done it before... The spot I use for my lite dep. is shaded by oak trees after 430pm ;)

whats that got to do with the moths and Worms?:confused:

Do you think they hatch better in the humidity?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
well crap :confused:
these are are about 35 days into flower.......bout 25 or so days to go. and another bed is 25 days in..

Seamaiden; Do you think it was too late to spray ?
Personally, yes, I think you waited very late to spray. That doesn't mean you should stop spraying, but that next time you need to start much earlier on. Also, rotate the products, don't use only one. I think you may want to include Neem or something similar in that regimen as well, so as to avoid causing more bugs to build resistance to a single product, as is occurring with bugs now resistant to Bt and Bti.

Landfishd

Landfishd

we had virtually no catepillars last year rotating spinosad and safer bt from early veg to before bud was setting then just sprayed every couple weeks after with bt. I don't think you are supposed to use spinosad so much though because it kill bees. With how small our garden is I don't think too much spinosad made it's way to the atmosphere but still I'm pretty sure the bottle says not to use more than 6x a season.

This year I'm debating using spinosad at all. I have Caps foliar pack and I'm hoping that maybe the concentrations of bt and bti are so high that spinosad won't be needed? I'm not sure though and don't want to chance it, and putting that much faith into something is nerve racking. I don't want to wait till I see a worm crawling out of a brown bud before I decide i need some spinosad. Harvesting and picking through brown moldy crap and dead catepillars, live catepillars, and catepillar poop is a shitty time.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Personally, yes, I think you waited very late to spray. That doesn't mean you should stop spraying, but that next time you need to start much earlier on. Also, rotate the products, don't use only one. I think you may want to include Neem or something similar in that regimen as well, so as to avoid causing more bugs to build resistance to a single product, as is occurring with bugs now resistant to Bt and Bti.

I probably didn't make my self clear...I did spray earlier...both Safer Cat, and Spinosad

And I missunderstood you also...I thought you were saying the buds were too far along to be still spraying

I learned about spinosad and to spray early from you last year Seamaiden:)

I haven't used neem outside this year...I don't think I need to.....
My leaves are cleaned by ladybugs :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I probably didn't make my self clear...I did spray earlier...both Safer Cat, and Spinosad

And I missunderstood you also...I thought you were saying the buds were too far along to be still spraying

I learned about spinosad and to spray early from you last year Seamaiden:)

I haven't used neem outside this year...I don't think I need to.....
My leaves are cleaned by ladybugs :)
OH! Shit, yeah, I totally misunderstood.

I STOP application of products such as Spinosad or Bt spray (but not OxiDate or JMS Stylet oil) about two weeks prior to my planned harvest date.

Thanks for the reminders.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm an organic gardener, and MW doesn't qualify. Also, we're not using Spinosad to treat for mites, we're using it to prevent the moth caterpillars that destroy buds and cause rot.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
thanks SeaMaiden

I used a lot of Safer Caterpillar Killer this morning It dried quick. I like that.
That will be last time for One bed that expect to be done in mid june.
got another bed that should be done July 1st...;)

I think most of the moths will lay their budworms on the Harlequin ...
So those are my bait...I sprayed the crap out of them this morn too.

Top Bottom