This plant is entirely too sensitive. Need assistance.

• Thread starter LiveandLearn502
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

Yo, so to break it down. Yes this is my first grow. I'm using Mr grow it way of gardening(gonna try something completely different my 3rd go around) which conxist of fox farm ocean forest potting soil, The fox farm nutrient trio line, And lastly cal mag.

Starting the grow, I didn't ph my water until I started feeding. Which was roughly after 30 days.

Growing in 5 gallon pots
Temp 75-80 f
RH 50-60%
Ph the water at 6.5-7.0.
Multiple fan set up.
Sour diesel auto flower.
Feeding a 4th of dosage as it calls for on the veg bottle. Flower I uped it to a half a dosage.
Feeding 3ml of call mag every watering, uped this as well in flowering.

When I first started showing signs of what I thought was cal mag deficiencies I started actually feeding it cal mag. Then it kept traveling throughout the plant so I ph'd my runoff and it was 5.something. That made me go buy some domolite lime to pH the soil.... It got slightly better then got slight more worse. Then I was told to flush the pot. So I ran 9 Gs of water through it(all I could get from the store). And the symptoms and ph of the water was fixed. The 10th gallon of water was feed. I fed it 1/4th dosage of veg and 3ml of cal mag... Situation was okay. Then it deficiencies kept getting worse. Please peep the pictures for better understanding.

Ps: call me names, call me ignorant, call me whatever. I'm doing this for my pops bc I don't want him on pills and I love a extra hobby. Learn from me, I learn from you. I'll pass whatever info to the next person in need. Appreciated in advance. 🙏🏾 There's also a video attached.
This plant is entirely too sensitive need assistance
This plant is entirely too sensitive need assistance 2
This plant is entirely too sensitive need assistance 3
This plant is entirely too sensitive need assistance 4
This plant is entirely too sensitive need assistance 5

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think the newer growth looks pretty good, while the older and damaged growth is just turning necrotiic... leaves don't heal. Once they are damaged, they simply let the damaged part die. Damage might not appear for a week or two after it happens, so I think you are just seeing the damage from before. Fox Farms has timed release nutrients, so flushing will be of limited help since the medium just replaces the rinsed/flushed out nutes. I would check your outflow to get an idea of what might still be left in the soil. Keep a close eye on the new growth... as long as it looks good and robust, you have made the right choice.
Once you start chasing problems, like Ph or Lockouts, you will go crazy trying to figure out what possible problem caused another possible problem. The best way, in my opinion, is to go easy on feedings and not worry nearly as much with Ph and RO unless you have really toxic water. If you are in soil, Coco, or Promix, the Ph is pretty stable unless you start adding Ph up/down or use products which can also alter the Ph (Cal-Mag).

LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

I think the newer growth looks pretty good, while the older and damaged growth is just turning necrotiic... leaves don't heal. Once they are damaged, they simply let the damaged part die. Damage might not appear for a week or two after it happens, so I think you are just seeing the damage from before. Fox Farms has timed release nutrients, so flushing will be of limited help since the medium just replaces the rinsed/flushed out nutes. I would check your outflow to get an idea of what might still be left in the soil. Keep a close eye on the new growth... as long as it looks good and robust, you have made the right choice.
Once you start chasing problems, like Ph or Lockouts, you will go crazy trying to figure out what possible problem caused another possible problem. The best way, in my opinion, is to go easy on feedings and not worry nearly as much with Ph and RO unless you have really toxic water. If you are in soil, Coco, or Promix, the Ph is pretty stable unless you start adding Ph up/down or use products which can also alter the Ph (Cal-Mag).
Firstly I really appreciate your input. Secondly I'm trying to push her through flowering. I gotta check genetics before growing bc she got BIG. I wasn't expecting that's and she is taking up almost all of my 3x3. Lastly, are you saying don't ph my water as frequently as doing it every watering? Is ph up/down bad for plants if it's general hydroponics? Also, could you see the video I linked or no?

Cube

Cube

Fox Farms has timed release nutrients, so flushing will be of limited help since the medium just replaces the rinsed/flushed out nutes. I would check your outflow to get an idea of what might still be left in the soil. Keep a close eye on the new growth... as long as it looks good and robust, you have made the right choice.

Not that I agree with all that flushing but I don't think FFOF has timed release nutrients. It definitely is full of nutes but they aren't time released and are usually good for about 30 days.

As to the OP's issue, looking at your video your other plants don't look too bad. I've never messed with autos but I've grown multiple seed runs and I always get one or two that just doesn't like my setup/feed/personality and looks shitty the whole grow. I just don't run that plant any more. I'd look into some photo period seeds next time, regular or feminized. That way you can clone the plants that grow and smoke the way you like. Once you have a keeper or two you can really dial in your growing skills.

Good luck with this run!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I believe what @Jimster is saying is that your tap water (once the chorine has dissapated from the water - if this applies to yours) is at a more normal ppm range of 200pm or less and pH shows the water below 7.5 ... even 8 isn't too bad. Water the plants without adjusting pH. This only applies to soil grows ...

LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

Not that I agree with all that flushing but I don't think FFOF has timed release nutrients. It definitely is full of nutes but they aren't time released and are usually good for about 30 days.

As to the OP's issue, looking at your video your other plants don't look too bad. I've never messed with autos but I've grown multiple seed runs and I always get one or two that just doesn't like my setup/feed/personality and looks shitty the whole grow. I just don't run that plant any more. I'd look into some photo period seeds next time, regular or feminized. That way you can clone the plants that grow and smoke the way you like. Once you have a keeper or two you can really dial in your growing skills.

Good luck with this run!
Very informative. Appreciate it.

Good luck with this run!
Thank you for the advice. i'm not that advance in the field yet but i definitely want to get into it once i get more space. Havent really did much research regarding clones and other entities of growing either. Definitely want to go with photoperiods in due time. i got a ton of auto flower seeds i need to use. Again thank you for the advice and input.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Your over feeding see the burned leaf tips? Why all the cal mag? Autoflowers are very easy to burn, i feed a very light mix of botanacare pro grow and have never burned an auto in veg, ffof is a really good mix autoflowers in it need very little food, i see you do understand to go easy on nutrients but your overfeeding and this is throwing your ph off, all i run is autoflowers in ffof for flower i found atami bloombastic 2ml per gal is a great flowering agent for autoflowers but u have to go easy, my last 2 grows toof decay and critical autoflowers just started samsqatch og, go easy on the nutrients and you should be ok

20191228 182511
20200215 193610
LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

Your over feeding see the burned leaf tips? Why all the cal mag? Autoflowers are very easy to burn, i feed a very light mix of botanacare pro grow and have never burned an auto in veg, ffof is a really good mix autoflowers in it need very little food, i see you do understand to go easy on nutrients but your overfeeding and this is throwing your ph off, all i run is autoflowers in ffof for flower i found atami bloombastic 2ml per gal is a great flowering agent for autoflowers but u have to go easy, my last 2 grows toof decay and critical autoflowers just started samsqatch og, go easy on the nutrients and you should be ok
Word thats awesome bro. Appreciate the input and advice. Now, im sure you seen my other autos in the video i linked. the crazy thing is, i did the exact same feeding with all my plants to be sure of catching any signs of def. Sour diesel seems like its a sensitive strain to grow. i dont think im really overfeeding though. only reason i say that is bc i barely feed them. i do a feed-water-water-feed type of feeding. or sometimes water-feed-water just depends on how they're reacting. on my white widow(or whatever it is) it shows no signs of anything except maybe low nutes so i uped the nutes on her(shes my best grow yet). but for the sour D, i just couldnt stop the def from spreading until i flushed it. Cal Mag bc all the research i was doing led to cal mag being the solver to my defs. i was only giving it 3ml(every watering) until i figured the defs wasnt stopping so i feed it 5ml every watering(as described on the bottle). Please let me know what you think and its appreciated in advance!

LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

I believe what @Jimster is saying is that your tap water (once the chorine has dissapated from the water - if this applies to yours) is at a more normal ppm range of 200pm or less and pH shows the water below 7.5 ... even 8 isn't too bad. Water the plants without adjusting pH. This only applies to soil grows ...
Word. I havent been lately. i just been throwing my concoctions together and feeding them without ph'ing. appreciate your advice and input!

Frdmgrwr

Frdmgrwr

I’m growing sour d autos right now too, although they are in coco. But at one point the ph fluctuated( it was up in the 7.8+ range) in my runoff tests and the plants started getting purple stems and burnt up curled leaves very quickly. I gave her a good flush, brought the ph down and things started normalizing. good luck on your grow 👽

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

What is going on bro is you are over thinking your grow, you say your not over feeding, the leaves say different, you must understand you do not run autoflowers like a photoperiod plant, they are all sensitive, some people say fox farm is a hot mix it's not it just has allot of nutrients, at day 21 i start feeding very lighley, bc they grow so fast by about day 30 (strain dependent) they have used up most of the nutrients in the mix and sometimes turn into pigs, this is were a nice light food comes in, i use botanacare pro grow all it is is basically fish mulch and nitro, i have a meter but rarely check ph, it is normal for leaves to turn yellow towards the end of your grow, i save my eggshells grind them into powder and throw some in my mix at beginning, very rarely do i get a deficiency, and yea if your plants get real bushy you can prune them but again some autoflowers dont mind it one bit others dont like it, once your leaves are burned they will not recover, you can prune off the really bad ones this will improve airflow, dont overthink, go easy on nutrients, prune when nessasary to get your main and minor branches into the light, flower grows on branches not leaves, if you are uncomfortable pruneing leaf tuck, what happens when you feed is important, after a feed observe your plants if in an hour your leaves are vertical you most definitely overfed, it took me a year to teach someone online to grow autos the problem was he could not wrap his mind on how easy they are to burn more is better right? Not with autoflowers! Just dont over think and if it's not broke dont try and fix it, go real easy on nutrients and let her do her thing, once you bring in a crop you will gain confidence and in the end you will be fine, one more thing if your plant is getting to big for it's space you can top it or fim it, do not grow multiple strains of autos at same time time this will save you grief, pic is my last little red dwarf, just popped samsqatch og, if u need help or advice ask.

20200304 090702
20200307 192107
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Word. I havent been lately. i just been throwing my concoctions together and feeding them without ph'ing. appreciate your advice and input!

That in my opinion only applies to water without nutes. Many nutrients will drop the pH significantly ... and sometimes it can get below pH 5.0. I will pH my tap water to verify the chlorine has dispersed. Your pH will drop as the water de-chlorinates. Once I know the chlorine is gone, I know it's going to be stable and remain at about 7.0. I don't pH it again after that.

I always pH my water after adding nutes and adjust pH to between 5.8 and 6.5.

Most fox farm potting products are well fortified with nutrients so almost no feeding should be needed. On rare occasions, I have found fox farm potting mixes to have low pH. Usually it's pH'd between 6.0 and 6.3 but occasionally you will find one under that range ... so it's a good idea to check that too at the very beginning of your next grow. I didn't and had to replant mine in better soil (I added lime, checked pH and then replanted my plants in the new soil mix). This has only happened once to me, but I've heard of it happening occasionally to others too.

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Respectfully disagree, I always have to add Dolomite to my ffof soil which often becomes depleted of pH buffers during bloom; and my tap water is 8.9 so goes without saying it's always pH'ed, so to say don't pH your water is a very broad and general statement in my opinion

I don't add a lot of nutrients, only a handful of times through out my grow. I do have dolomite lime in my soil and that might be the difference in results. Also size of plants, plant genetics, and other variables contribute to how quickly the soil is depleted.

I didn't mean to make it sound like "don't check." I have to check to know that the chlorine is gone. But once it's gone, its stable and I know that because of all the times I tested it before. I guess I probably wasn't clear about that. I always pH nute water and adjust prior to use.

Here's my process:
1) Fill 35 gallon tote with city tap water and add air stones.
2) Check pH daily until pH stops dropping.
3) Water in bucket is ready to use once pH has become stable.
4) If using just water, I use water straight from the tote. (I don't check it again here)
5) If using water with nutrients, pull from tote, add nutes, re-check pH and adjust prior to feeding.

That probably makes more sense now lol.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

Hey boss man, you might want to find some Epsom Salts to take care of those red stems. 1 or 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water.

LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

I’m growing sour d autos right now too, although they are in coco. But at one point the ph fluctuated( it was up in the 7.8+ range) in my runoff tests and the plants started getting purple stems and burnt up curled leaves very quickly. I gave her a good flush, brought the ph down and things started normalizing. good luck on your grow 👽
Sorry for the late reply man. But i really appreciate your input. Do you always grow in coco? i wanna try that next. also, is it harder/easier to grow in soil or coco?

LiveandLearn502

LiveandLearn502

Hey boss man, you might want to find some Epsom Salts to take care of those red stems. 1 or 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water.
Okay im hearing different opinions on dolomite lime and epson salt. people say to use or to dont use them. i really dont know what to do but i had 5tbsp of dolomite lime in the sour D pot and had to flush it bc it got really bad. Appreciate your input!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Okay im hearing different opinions on dolomite lime and epson salt. people say to use or to dont use them. i really dont know what to do but i had 5tbsp of dolomite lime in the sour D pot and had to flush it bc it got really bad. Appreciate your input!

I used a 1/2 cup in 4 cubic feet. Which would not be a whole lot more than your 5 tablespoons. Everyone has an opinion ... I don't use much and I am fine.

Top Bottom