Those Aren't Bananas...

• Thread starter montanamike1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

This is what the fuck I like to see on these forums! PERIOD. Brotherhood. And when conflict arises, let us all be what we are... ADULTS. FWIW Baba G (totally respect you both), I took Squiqq's words as nothing but love. The same "While you were bullshitting" phrase ran around my crew when I was younger too. Respect to all involved really though. Don't get me wrong though Baba, I LOVE to squash some "big dicked" bullshitter down, as much as the next person, ESPECIALLY when they run their mouths without knowing or to my blood. All just my opinion, but carry on... Positive vibes...

~nugzz

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Sorry dude I just realized this wasn't clear.

"While you're bullshitting" is a colloquial phrase where I grew up--it means "While you're at it" but it's a little different, it sort of means like "here's something I bet you didn't expect". Definitely not meant the way you took it.

This takes the meaning for "bullshitting" that is more like two guys talking back and forth are bullshitting with each other.

I realize you took it the wrong way and maybe you were just saying the rest of what you did in the moment because of that misunderstanding. If that's the case, cool.

If not, I will say--no I wasn't trying to do exhibition. I wouldn't go to math if I was doing that as it's not really my specialty. Those were copy/pasted from wikipedia. I really was just trying to illustrate the difference between the idealized and actual formulae/concepts that are dealt with at the two different levels.

No arrogance intended on my part, it didn't take a degree to say any of what I did there. Literally could find it all on wiki--most people just don't make the connections or care is all.
My bad...I feel like a dolt! I know this sounds lame but if you would have spelled it b.s.'ing I might have caught on...lol
Anyways, Yeah, I didn't mean the rest. You know what I thought and Now I know what you meant!!

Many bowls and a lack of food and some physical pain might have helped lend to this response from me but I gotcha!

Here is the peacepipe! From top left-clockwise: Salmon Creek BB wax, Unleaded OG wax, Forum GSCookies wax, Billy Mays wax, have at it!!
IMG 3652

squiggly

squiggly

My bad...I feel like a dolt! I know this sounds lame but if you would have spelled it b.s.'ing I might have caught on...lol
Anyways, Yeah, I didn't mean the rest. You know what I thought and Now I know what you meant!!

Many bowls and a lack of food and some physical pain might have helped lend to this response from me but I gotcha!

Here is the peacepipe! From top left-clockwise: Salmon Creek BB wax, Unleaded OG wax, Forum GSCookies wax, Billy Mays wax, have at it!!
View attachment 293682
Dear god.

Yeah, no hardies bro--you and I are on the same wavelength.

montanamike1

montanamike1

lol, good one squiggly. The people who wanna know the nomenclature will take the courses or read the books...anther releases pollen granules and those land on the pistil and create a pollen tube and go down said tube. And when the pollen hits the ovule it's syngomy! And from there I'd just bore everyone...lmao

Yeah, I understand that's a given in the regular forums, I"m just making the point that new farmers who post about questions about "bananas" in the "Advanced" forum are unlikely to get a response from fellas like you and Squiggly. For some new guys, they've never even thought about the fact that there are actual names for things regularly referred to around here as "the furry female sack" and "dicks".

If there's a mod interested in making a forum for us "sciencey" people to exchange info and ask questions, I can guarantee it near daily traffic.... perhaps with a few stickies at the top with proper nomenclature and guidelines...

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I like where this thread is headed. You guys handled that like adults, and you both have my respect because of it. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

squiggly

squiggly

If there's a mod interested in making a forum for us "sciencey" people to exchange info and ask questions, I can guarantee it near daily traffic.... perhaps with a few stickies at the top with proper nomenclature and guidelines...

My only fear in making a reliquary of science on the forum is that it will cause all scientific discussion to be relegated to that area--and frowned upon elsewhere.

I can see it now: "Take that shit to the science forum!"

Science is the study of the natural order of the universe and when discussing plant biology, as we all necessarily are, it has a place everywhere--not only in a specific set of discussions.

If someone posts about nanners and needs help I will answer them--I will reply to them by referring to them as anthers, but nonetheless would be fine with answering the questions.

This place should be about four things in my opinion, in this order:

1. Community.
2. Learning.
3. Cannabis.
4. Leisure.

Of course #3 should tie in to all four of these to be relevant to the forum--but I think our overall focus should be on helping each other and sharing in new knowledge and understanding together.

We can't afford to be snoody if that is our goal. Nanners communicates the point, even if it is wrong. We should be happy enough that people are able to identify them as unwanted structures.

montanamike1

montanamike1

Actually while you're bullshitting I'm finishing up biology 2 right now (which is all the phylogeny shit basically) because I skipped over it way back when--but yeah I've done multiple courses dealing with this shit now: Bio 1 of course, cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry (little bit), and genetics. I think that's it, maybe more.

Like I said they really piledrive us with this shit which is why it's "basic" knowledge. They just keep raising the bar up and up until you figure out you've been learning a lie for 5 years and only now have seen the truth.

pH was a great example of this for me (though there are many more). They basically tell you a bullshit story that gets you far enough and then eventually if you get that far they tell you it was all just for fun.

The difference is betweem idealized formulae and conditions, which often are the knowledge level that "basic" level college students and most laymen operate ate--and the real-world formulae and conditions which often are orders of magnitude more complicated (and usually unfortunately require at least Calc 3 and Diff EQ/Beyond is really needed to make a dent in anything "new").

Often when I get into an argument on these forums about chemistry (though I'm knowledgeable in many other areas, that's sort of my bag)--I'm bringing this real-world knowledge to the table.

I get accused of endlessly theorizing but the reality is that I've done these things with my hands and understand them implicitly for the most part--Inside outside upside down--and that, instead, it is usually these folks who are theorizing and have no applicable knowledge from the scientific perspective which is most often what I'm addressing as we all know.

It's not unsurprising--it's in many cases like trying to teach someone calculus who has never learned algebra. There's a missing link there.

I'm often accused of playing the pedant but the truth is that I'm usually just trying to cut the bullshit for people and tell them what's up because I know.

When I don't know, well I don't--and I usually say so.

I'll give you an example of the difference between what most people see and what I see.

Some of you might be familiar with the Ideal Gas Laws

pV=nRT

p1V1 / T1 = p2V2 / T2
etc...

These only work for ideal gases which is defined, according to google, as:
A hypothetical gas whose molecules occupy negligible space and have no interactions, and that consequently obeys the gas laws exactly.
or another way to say it--a fake nonexistant gas that has never existed ever.

Here's what the various gas equations look like to me:
f028b4bc100cbd2c79e01bcfb80493aa.png

bf354fc57fc3181c1da65d7c1f6326c4.png

83993c81b88a8e3cc0d0776909e4fa53.png

A little different no?

This type of thing goes beyond only math. It takes a lot of time to develop real scientific knowledge about stuff like this.

I have no problem with people applying experience based knowledge, that makes perfect sense--that's what most people have. Experience kicks the shit out of science all the time for that matter.

I only ever get my pannies in a bunch when people say some dumb shit that makes no sense and pass it off as science. No no no.
:)

Seriously, you funny :)

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

so squiggly what you're saying is that science is a hybrid language that is a cross between (calculus x differential equations) x (greek x latin).

I wonder if it makes bananas...

squiggly

squiggly

so squiggly what you're saying is that science is a hybrid language that is a cross between (calculus x differential equations) x (greek x latin).

I wonder if it makes bananas...

That's surprisingly accurate but it's still missing stuff.

A big part is knowing about hypothetico-deductive reasoning and what powers it has versus what powers it doesn't.

Knowing what not to say is as important as knowing what to say in science. In the same way there is a discipline involved. Many of the greatest ever scientific discoveries have been made entirely by mistake.

This happened because it was a scientist looking at the data and not someone looking for a specific answer before having seen the result.

In all such "accidental" cases. Had the person merely been looking for the answer they wanted--they'd have overlooked the discovery.

We look at the evidence and see what it tells us--we don't try to reverse the order, and that is a big part of it as well.

Top Bottom