Those Dry Cracked Hands...

• Thread starter DrMcSkunkins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
My 12 year old is ADD and struggling in math
I have ADD also and I remember math making me literally squirm in my seat because it confused and frustrated me so.

Last edited:
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
My 12 year old is ADD and struggling in math
I wish i could help and he is exactly my age group(the almost teens). I just had a parent come to me at conference time and tell me her child didnt understand common core for 3 years till he got me... he now loves math and has an 98% in my grade book. Exponents, fractions, decimals, place value.. you name it!!!! I like to show them common core then also show them old ways and let them decide.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I wish i could help and he is exactly my age group(the almost teens). I just had a parent come to me at conference time and tell me her child didnt understand common core for 3 years till he got me... he now loves math and has an 98% in my grade book. Exponents, fractions, decimals, place value.. you name it!!!! I like to show them common core then also show them old ways and let them decide.
Thank you for looking outside the box. I can count on one hand the most influential people in my young life, and three very special teachers are at the top of the list.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Thank you for looking outside the box. I can count on one hand the most influential people in my young life, and three very special teachers are at the top of the list.
That means a lot to hear... i definitely dont do it for the pay hahaha i feel like i could be a manger at McDonald's and make a better living. There is no better feeling than seeing a childs light bulb click on and see them ready to own the world!!! And i constantly tell the children... do more than your parents... learn, see, do, never settle. I also constantly push them away from sports and give them science ideas... we need more elon musks and less Michael vicks as heros.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

That means a lot to hear... i definitely dont do it for the pay hahaha i feel like i could be a manger at McDonald's and make a better living. There is no better feeling than seeing a childs light bulb click on and see them ready to own the world!!! And i constantly tell the children... do more than your parents... learn, see, do, never settle. I also constantly push them away from sports and give them science ideas... we need more elon musks and less Michael vicks as heros.
I think there is a fine line between participating in physical activity and pushing young minds away from sports. I am hesitant to support youth sports like football, hockey, and even cheerleading. I believe there is a lot we don't know about how young brains develop and the study of concussions and how they are or could be related. I thought car racing head injuries were significantly reduced after dale died, but it seems to me that head trauma can happen in almost any sport where there is physical contact. I remember kids getting hurt in gym class too, and I think there should be a balance, but I disagree with the notion that sports are bad for kids. Youth sports can be good for kids but I think parents can easily ruin it. I caught a fastball behind the ear when I was in HS and I am perfectly elephant nose stomach pants.
I like your advice that our youth would be better served by having non-sports people to look up to.

Top Bottom