Thoughts about autoflower and fem strain seeds

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

Being an organic nut, treehugging, all-natural kinda hippie guy I am unsure about autoflower and fem seeds. I am unsure if I even want to buy and grow them.

What exactly is done to make seeds females and others to automatically flower? Are chemicals induced to make these hormonal changes in the plants?

Is this a Frankenstein approach to growing MMJ?

I know it sounds appealing to have such seeds but I have to question how these seeds were altered and if any longterm irreversible problems may arise form this practice.

And does this increase the percentage of producing hemaphrodites?

Any thoughts are welcome as are any links to better inform me of the pros and cons regarding this topic.

O

Organicyumyum

Being an organic nut, treehugging, all-natural kinda hippie guy I am unsure about autoflower and fem seeds. I am unsure if I even want to buy and grow them.

What exactly is done to make seeds females and others to automatically flower? Are chemicals induced to make these hormonal changes in the plants?

Is this a Frankenstein approach to growing MMJ?

I know it sounds appealing to have such seeds but I have to question how these seeds were altered and if any longterm irreversible problems may arise form this practice.

And does this increase the percentage of producing hemaphrodites?

Any thoughts are welcome as are any links to better inform me of the pros and cons regarding this topic.

usually with feminized seeds, they either spray the plants with colloidal silver or use a technique called rodelization. I'd say the colloidal silver is the way it's most likely usually done. Rodelization involves letting the plants flower a few weeks past when they are ready. At this point the female hasn't been pollinated and is starting to die. The plant thinks the species is dying out and will begin to throw male bananas (pollen). At this point the pollen is collected and used to pollinate the female of choice. The seeds from this will all be female. Colloidal silver is used by spraying the plants, which in turns stresses them and they turn male. This pollen is used to pollinate the females in turn creating all females. This is the more chemmy way of making fem seeds. Usually feminized seeds will be pretty good as far as flowering them from seed. But if you use feminized cuts in your breeding program, then you are likely to see hermie traits displayed in the next generation of seeds made. From here you would have to breed out the hermie traits, so fem seeds are not the best for breeding, but they are pretty good for a grower looking to have all females for their garden without having access to clones. I would rather have regular seeds imho, but I have had great success and found many amazing phenos from fem. seeds.

T

testez

I myself am totally opposed to fem seeds. I hate the fact that even from seed you usually get a few hermies. I hate the fact that it's polluting the gene pool of "Pure, real, unmodified feminine MJ plants"

Monsanto i think is a company that genetically engineers food which i find is totally perverted as well. Compared to fruitsveggies 50 years ago the fruits and veggies these days are practically void of most if not all nutritious values if they are not organically grown. Big statement eh? look it up, I'm not bullshitting you!

IMO Feminized seeds are for either un experienced or small scale growers which cannot be bothered with the process or maybe they simply have no room. I think that pheno selection is an important process to get the very best and that's impossible with feminized seeds.

NO professional grower with a room or 2 runs them! In other words feminized seeds are not considered reliable enough to put into production. Oh and I almost forgot, Trying to make a mother of a feminized seed is impossible as well. Your asking to re veg the plant to many times and are guaranteeing you that you will have hermies or males.

I myself stay away from breeder's that sell/put out feminized seeds. Old skool will always be were it's at. Rushing it can spoil a whole operation because plants talk to each others and they do take on each others traits thus you can easily pollute your environment pretty bad. IMO Messes everything up big time. I had a little bout recently of a semi auto-flowering been which i wasn't supposed to get. it's been a pain in the arse ever since.

I say semi auto-flowering because it started flowering in veg, then stopped and started re vegging itself on it's own. So far in flowering the plant is all female and no hermie traits (knock on wood) but i check the little bitch at least daily. If I were to notice so much as 1 pollen sack I would cull them/it immediately.

Since then I have had to isolate dedicate a whole area [closet] to the "semi auto-flowering" strain. I really love this strain and have been experimenting. However I tore down 4 rooms, javexed and re polyed after the last run in order not to "pollute" my pro environment. Again, major pain in the arse if your into production.

My 2 Cents, hopefully this helps a bit.

Top Bottom