thoughts; could use yours

• Thread starter stickywet
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stickywet

stickywet

Hey all!

I had some thoughts, which perhaps will turn into questions and wondering what your thoughts are.

So I've been growing on and off - but mostly on - for about 14 years now. I've had big grows 30+ lights, hundreds and hundreds of plants, 7-10k clones on hand (we did clones), etc etc; i've done small grows, like i'm doing now, where I just have a couple of lights.

When I started off I just went straight 3 part GH. I tweaked it and ended up on my favorite strain(s) going up to a 13-2-1 for bloom instead of the traditional 3-2-1. Now I didn't do any ppm, or ph, or anything back then. I did peat moss and perlite at about 3 or 5 to 1 mix in rubber maid bins (usually the 14 gals or the big like 20 gals). I would water when needed (usually every 2 days) with 2 feed and then 1 plain water to rinse away the saltly buildup. I knew what was essential when as far as the numbers on the bottle went, X-X-X but I didn't really know why, or that it was this particular thing it used for this (like p205 and k20 in bloom along with mag/cal). I knew it but I didn't like know it, if that makes sense.

So, along with most other people, I experimented with other nutes. I eventually landed on AN, again like most, and loved their marketing (who doesn't). I just did this for a long time as it was easy, honestly I was busy and I didn't have to think much about why it worked, it just worked (i mean i always know why, just I didn't concern myself with the details of the details in the nutes).

I wasn't too concerned with money as I just sold extra I always had to friends and just kept buying the nutes that got great results (though honestly nothing was ever as good as my own tweaking of GH thinking back to it).

Anyway, many years later I was still using lineups as it was easy. Go in pick it up, didn't have to concern myself with this or that, cool i'm done. I also don't try and rip people off, not in my personality, so I figured that the people making the nutes really must have found some cool ways of doing it.

So I don't do anything on a big scale anymore, I really just grow for me. I'm trying to save money on nutes and everything atm as I now in a wheelchair for a bit (almost 3 months so but hopefully only another month or two). I've been reading up on nute lines and whatnot. I'm seeing patterns in the bloom add's and supp's...all p205 and k20 and all from the same sources. The same stuff I was adding lots of with just bloom.

Now I am super duper high right now because of my pain but I've taken a lot of chemistry, biology, and math and while the sources things are derived from do enhance and degrade the quality, a chemical is a chemical (ie P205 is P205). So really, unless you're concerned with it came from this organic source or that synthetic, it's all the same... and unless it's something specific with added sugars and bacteria/bene's and all that fun stuff, it's all just concentrated versions of the base nutes.

So basically I'm old now, and it's been a very long time since I've taken chemistry and biology (15+ years, things can change) and I can't think right now since I'm super duper high (or maybe I just think I can't) but I am correct in assuming I don't need ammonium nitrate vs calcium nitrate vs nitric acid or potassium chloride vs potassium nitrate.... it's all just about getting the NPK-MC's at the right time, no matter where they're from.

so by just doing my old 13-2-1 feed program i essentially (in a crude manner) did the same thing as the add's and supp's....?

i'm looking at humboldt 3 part atm and i'm wondering like their, anyone's really, analysis of 6% this and 5% that 2% this that's of what, the absolute base amount of like say 1tsp/gal (if that's what the mix is)? so I can just wake up my dormant sections of my brain where my calculus and algebra haven't been used in 15 years and figure out the proper amounts I need to get the concentration I desire (the overall ppm's really)....

the only thing cheaper really is mixing all the organic/synthetic sources together like fatman's DIY....?

I was thinking about humboldt 3 part with the following:
-honey
-equilib to boost the cal/mag
-humic acid (either their humbolt or flavorful, not sure why they want you to use both in their calculator...they're both just humic acid, probably just getting you to buy more i guess).
- a bene, maybe ORCA, or just pondzyme (meh i know but it's cheap lol).
- prozyme but at like 1/4 of it's dose as if i have a healthy colony they should be breaking it all down themselves, i know i'll boost it with more but at that cost....
- i would love a vitamin booster. i loved adding b52 back in the day to just my gh mix, ladies loved it, but i can't really find anything now but b52 and superthrive (ew). any suggestions?

really appreciate anyone reading this far ahaha

:)

thanks guys/gals!

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

"Now I am super duper high right now because of my pain but I've taken a lot of chemistry, biology, and math and while the sources things are derived from do enhance and degrade the quality, a chemical is a chemical (ie P205 is P205). So really, unless you're concerned with it came from this organic source or that synthetic, it's all the same... and unless it's something specific with added sugars and bacteria/bene's and all that fun stuff, it's all just concentrated versions of the base nutes"

SOMEBODY had to say it!!! Welcome to the farm. You sound like a man i could learn from. Respect!

Top Bottom