Thoughts On De + Cmh

• Thread starter Highatollah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highatollah

I currently have my room setup with 14 1000W DEs, two rows of 7, and a 5 ton air conditioner. After buying a single Cycloptics Greenbeam I'm blown away by it.

I was thinking about in the near future dropping 2 DEs and spacing my lights out so I have two rows of 6 DEs with 5 Cycloptics 315W CMH in between the DEs.

Does it sound like a good idea?

P

PharmHand

I'm thinking of something similar.... I would think you'll need to have all lights extra high off canopy to get any kind of even/useful mixing..... Otherwise it'll just be a few white spots in an orange light room

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I'm thinking of something similar.... I would think you'll need to have all lights extra high off canopy to get any kind of even/useful mixing..... Otherwise it'll just be a few white spots in an orange light room
Try painting a dot on the tips with high temperature aluminum paint (the Utah guys published a paper on it). Then hang from a $15 socket/cable just above canopy level (test for best spot, add little china hats if DIY inclined). And don't tell anyone my secret.

Freshone

Freshone

Try painting a dot on the tips with high temperature aluminum paint (the Utah guys published a paper on it). Then hang from a $15 socket/cable just above canopy level (test for best spot, add little china hats if DIY inclined). And don't tell anyone my secret.
When you say utahboys i assume its dr bugbee at the university?Do you have a link to the paper,id like to understand what the dot of paint is all about.Bruce bugbee is the pre eminent lighting guy IMO,if hes involved its usually pretty pertinent to our industry/hobby.

Freshone

Freshone

I think to help spread the light @Freshone
I assume the same but id like to understand how a dot of paint on the bottom of a vert bulb accomplishes this?Any light that hit it would bounce up at an angle,just trying to wrap my head around it.

P

PharmHand

With a China hat on there it would still shoot a lot of light straight down I would think the aluminum paint would work similar to adjust a wing spreader in that situation to help diffuse the relatively small amount of cmh in a predominately HPS de orange lit room. That's my guess I'm sure Herb could elaborate

P

PharmHand

I wonder if an 860 allstart cmh might work better in this kind of situation being a higher wattage? Or are they not quite as efficient? Or spectrum not as good? Don't hear a lot about guys mixing/using them in conjunction

P

PharmHand

Also does anyone know if there's any disadvantage to using the core n coil ballasts to run the 315s over the electronic? My buddy owns a hydro store can get me Phillips 315 core n coil ballast/Phillips bulb combo for hella cheap but I'd have to assemble/wire it up myself

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Took a bit to find the report. The paint dot eliminates the hot spot projected directly below the lamp and helps for more even coverage. For horizontal lamps, it should help eliminate so much wasted light directed into the duct opening. The commercially available cmh reflectors mostly suck when you try to place them evenly with a light meter (except cycloptics with paint dots). My little china-hats are actually upside-down, to direct some light to the sides rather than up (about 1' inverted cone made from refelctive material).

http://cpl.usu.edu/files/publications/poster/pub__1272037.pdf

Freshone

Freshone

Thanks herb I've never seen that one,I've always liked the cycloptics spread but I don't like the price!In my veg I went with the SS remote reflector and I'm thinking open wings horizontal when I put them in flower mixed with my gavitas,maybe I'll try the aluminum paint trick.

N

NoFr1ends

De/cmh/de/cmh/de/cmh/de

Cmh/de/cmh/de/cmh/de/cmh

Personally.id drop all the de 1k and swap out for 630 cmh with a 3k/4k bulb in each hood.

Are the 1000s too much hear for a 7 foot roof? I have two 315w but I'm looking to get more lights for an 11x13 area.

G

georgebush

I currently have my room setup with 14 1000W DEs, two rows of 7, and a 5 ton air conditioner. After buying a single Cycloptics Greenbeam I'm blown away by it.

I was thinking about in the near future dropping 2 DEs and spacing my lights out so I have two rows of 6 DEs with 5 Cycloptics 315W CMH in between the DEs.

Does it sound like a good idea?

Can't answer your question, I have a similar setup but with 16 Gavita 750's and wondering if you are running a burner and what your temps are at?

H

Highatollah

Are the 1000s too much hear for a 7 foot roof? I have two 315w but I'm looking to get more lights for an 11x13 area.
My lights are about 10' off the ground and my plants are 5.5' tall and I get minimal light burn.

Can't answer your question, I have a similar setup but with 16 Gavita 750's and wondering if you are running a burner and what your temps are at?
Yes a burner and my temperature is at its lowest in my cycle at 73°F.

Top Bottom