Thoughts on Increasing Dark Time During last 30 Days

• Thread starter CrippledArcher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

We flower under a dual 400 MH/HPS.( two Bulbs 1 Hood) I had seen where some increase the dark to mimic the ending of fall to push the plant a little harder to finish up. Wanting a little input from farmers on the Pro's and cons or people that have done this to let us know how the ladies liked the change.

T

tattoojim

im not a pro but i think you want all the light you can get with out triggering a re veg. like i said no pro,but im tryn a progressive flip. i mean that i started my veg at 18/6,now im at 15/9. and in a week or so i will b 12/12. ive kinda wondered about what you asked ,and my question is indoors they cant see the moon but can they feel the change? if that makes sense. outdoor guys normaly plant by the moon right? you never hear indoor guys talking about this.

T

tattoojim

archer.. sry if i rambled bit, but i been make n brownies all day.had one and smoked 2.:animbong:

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I've tried 2 add 15 mins more darkness at week 5 & every week I minus 15 more mins till I chop at week 9.. But I didn't see any difference.. but it always fun 2 try new things.. I might do it again this grow 2 see how it works out again..

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

OK Makingoo since you have tried and didn't see any differences I will add that to the -1 side.Maybe a few more farmers will chime in and we can see more input. I mean my thumbs aren't even green yet but it looks like it would work in theory, plant perceives even shorter days put all energy into flower.

waayne

waayne

Adding more time to their nite cycle the last few weeks will aid in ripening some long season Sativa's, but really isn't necessary for most Indica's or hybrids......:pimp:

If you're trying to increase the quality of your harvest, perfect temps and humidity along with really dialing in your strains is probably going to be more effective.

Happy Harvest!

E

E.T.

waayne is dead on...sometimes with sativa dom plants i will push the lights back to 10hrs to speed up the maturation during the last 3wks, but with the indica's it is not necessary.

ttystikk

ttystikk

archer.. sry if i rambled bit, but i been make n brownies all day.had one and smoked 2.:animbong:

Yeah, gotta watch smokin' them brownies, they'll get you all fucked up!

'Way back in the dark ages (no pun intended), I ran my entire flower cycle at 10 hours light, 14 dark. I did it for power consumption reasons, and I did it with Indica plants, a cross with Northern Lights in it. I also flowered for only 6 weeks, and had a perpetual system set up to get crops on a 20-21 day rotation. Since neither I nor my friends knew any better, we never tried to go longer.

Since it was only one 1000W hood, the crops weren't huge, but they were consistent and some of the best smoke my friends and I had ever had.

I can't say if the short lighting cycle had much to do with the short flowering times because I never tried different variations- what I had worked, so I didn't screw with it! Thinking back on it, I think I just got lucky with an Indica strain, a 10 hour day length and a short 6 week flowering cycle and got great results.

So much for anecdotal evidence- in the wild, plants MUST start to mature before they actually see a full 12 hours of darkness, otherwise they wouldn't finish their lifecycle between Sept 21 and the onset of frost in most temperate climates, let alone mountain grown Indica or Kush varieties.

On the other hand, I think many factors influence the floweng cycle and I bet length of darkness is one of them.

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Adding more time to their nite cycle the last few weeks will aid in ripening some long season Sativa's, but really isn't necessary for most Indica's or hybrids......:pimp:

If you're trying to increase the quality of your harvest, perfect temps and humidity along with really dialing in your strains is probably going to be more effective.

Happy Harvest!

Well with this being the first grow, I think we have came a long way. I can say we have the temps on point and the RH is no problem so far with it being inside closet. It may get to 60% for a day tops when they are all fed, Hovers around 45-55% normally. Seems like we have the nutes dialed in except one,She has been the pickiest bitch of the bunch, She isn't a big feeder at all to much of anything or not enough she will show it in a hear beat. Temps where easy do to it being inside tops 78 now if we slow the fan down night time no less than 68 because old girl hates the cold so the heat pops on at that time. I said no more pictures until I get a new camera,but screw that ! Heading over to take pictures :bong2: Thanks again for all the input Guys, Man I LOVE THE FARM !!

G

giantsfan24

Not meaning to hijack but what if you ran let's say 400w for veg and the last two weeks of flower back that down to a lower wattage like 250w to finish?

It seems to me that the diminished light might trigger a reaction that could produce a quicker finish...

Don't know as I've never tried it but isn't that what the light does as the season gets longer on toward harvest?

I just got a Lumatek digital ballast that is both 250w and 400w...

I was just thinkin... :mmm

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

There is no hijacking ! It questions like this that get responses. Now I am no pro, this is a first grow,but all that I have read and seen here is you want the most light possible during 12/12 .Reason 1 is simply for light penetration ,Once that canopy gets big and bushy you need that light to get in there nice and even. If you have great penetration you should have more bud sights.That's why we rotate the plants everyday ! If anything I may remove the MH the last 7 days,but I have seen where many people favor a mixed spectrum during harvest time so I guess we will keep it the way it is !

ftwendy

ftwendy

Archer- KEEP that MH in your flower room right up to the finishing date. You really want the UV it kicks out, as it helps with maturation. If anything, ditch the HPS.

Cheers, great question and answers. I've always wondered. Tks, Ftw

S

SSHZ

Sativa's might also finish a bit earlier buy cutting back the amount of water. I reduce watering by an extra day and cut back the amount some. Like cutting back the amount of light- this helps signal to the plant that fall is here.......

G

giantsfan24

There is no hijacking ! It questions like this that get responses. Now I am no pro, this is a first grow,but all that I have read and seen here is you want the most light possible during 12/12 .Reason 1 is simply for light penetration ,Once that canopy gets big and bushy you need that light to get in there nice and even. If you have great penetration you should have more bud sights.That's why we rotate the plants everyday ! If anything I may remove the MH the last 7 days,but I have seen where many people favor a mixed spectrum during harvest time so I guess we will keep it the way it is !

Sweet!! Thanks Crip!! I just went to my hydro store and he said the same thing..don't back off on watts in flower..

MH in flower?? No HPS?? :confused0054:

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Sweet!! Thanks Crip!! I just went to my hydro store and he said the same thing..don't back off on watts in flower..

MH in flower?? No HPS?? :confused0054:

We have a dual hood, Somewhere at the start of the grow I shot a picture of it. They have been in this mixed spectrum from day 10 on, CFL before that to get them up and running. But see many people say Yeah, to the MH in flower,something about the bright blue UV make them make more crystals if I understand it right, Maybe a Pro can chime in and clear this up !

G

giantsfan24

We have a dual hood, Somewhere at the start of the grow I shot a picture of it. They have been in this mixed spectrum from day 10 on, CFL before that to get them up and running. But see many people say Yeah, to the MH in flower,something about the bright blue UV make them make more crystals if I understand it right, Maybe a Pro can chime in and clear this up !

I just bought a Ushio GroLux HPS and it's got a great balance of blue mixed into the yellow/red spectrum.

My concern with an MH all they way through flower would be too much blue and not enough red...but I'm a novice..

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

I just bought a Ushio GroLux HPS and it's got a great balance of blue mixed into the yellow/red spectrum.

My concern with an MH all they way through flower would be too much blue and not enough red...but I'm a novice..

IF you take a look at our grow (see signature for link) This hood has a 400 W MH and a 400 HPS inside one hood :bong2:

CrippledArcher

CrippledArcher

Since its a small area we went with a passive intake that was air conditioned, She keep the thermostat on 73 in the heat of summer and now 65 in winter ,with a 430 CFM fan and matching filter never will it go over 78-80 unless I turn the controller down, Hovers around 74-78 in these temps and its cold as hell up here !

Top Bottom