Thoughts on lights.

• Thread starter Elevated1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redshift75

That should be good coverage. Space em to overlap. Scale up as you need to as far as running 1 or both. My LGS just got like 50 of those lights and were testing em they looked pretty nice for the price. They had the non cob version as well and wasnt that bad. I think 2 of those will do nicely for that amount of plants.

Dan789

Dan789

Show us, what's going on... or it's like it never happened...Lol. We're all visual.
Lighting tech is always in transition, we settle on what works today, knowing that different tech is just around the corner. I decided to go all cob, passing up the newer quantum boards. All lights grow MJ, it's just the environment we experience working in the particular light spectrum, choosing the yellow over the bluple/red... Very satisfied with the cob setup's I've put together.

Elevated1

Elevated1

Show us, what's going on... or it's like it never happened...Lol. We're all visual.
Lighting tech is always in transition, we settle on what works today, knowing that different tech is just around the corner. I decided to go all cob, passing up the newer quantum boards. All lights grow MJ, it's just the environment we experience working in the particular light spectrum, choosing the yellow over the bluple/red... Very satisfied with the cob setup's I've put together.
FBE3FB65 2540 4407 ADFD 42C4BD5CE934

Haven’t started the grow yet. Still waiting in seeds. I was just curious if running both lights would be to much? More I’m reading I think both will be needed

Dan789

Dan789

Run them both, (only when the plants get large enough to use the extra light) if you grow too much, I'm sure you can figure what to do with the eventuality...Good Growing.

threatco

threatco

View attachment 970669

Haven’t started the grow yet. Still waiting in seeds. I was just curious if running both lights would be to much? More I’m reading I think both will be needed

I would say it won't be too much for flowering. Need to let them grow up a bit first before getting full light.

You want about 650-900 ppfd to maximize potential yield without CO2. I think you will be a little short of this in the corners with just these 2 in a 5x5.

But if you are doing just 5 plants you might not be going for a full 5x5 canopy anyways.

visajoe1

visajoe1

any reason you couldnt go with HID? is heat an issue? no offense, but with with these LED's you're paying almost double the equipment cost for about half the amount of light. Not to mention you have no idea what spectrum COB's are in that thing, probably not high quality, if so the description would say it. At 16", a 1000w HPS would give you about double that umol on their chart. you can probably still return them and buy something else.

I did the LED thing (custom cobs), and unless I'm running in a place where its 95f outside, I have no need to run them again. If you can run HID, do it, you'll get a better product. Just my opinion though.

threatco

threatco

any reason you couldnt go with HID? is heat an issue? no offense, but with with these LED's you're paying almost double the equipment cost for about half the amount of light. Not to mention you have no idea what spectrum COB's are in that thing, probably not high quality, if so the description would say it. At 16", a 1000w HPS would give you about double that umol on their chart. you can probably still return them and buy something else.

I did the LED thing (custom cobs), and unless I'm running in a place where its 95f outside, I have no need to run them again. If you can run HID, do it, you'll get a better product. Just my opinion though.

Not sure if you are factoring in the cost of electricity to run an HID and bulb replacement.

visajoe1

visajoe1

Not sure if you are factoring in the cost of electricity to run an HID and bulb replacement.
depends where you're at, so i cant factor that in. i run a 400w MH in veg, but i pay .09/kwh, so during flower my 1000w HPS costs about $60/month with fans, exhaust, humidifier, etc. Unless i get the same light output for half the wattage from LED, its not worth it for most tent grows in my experience. if ambient heat is an issue, or energy costs is prohibitive, then its LED all day.

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

depends where you're at, so i cant factor that in. i run a 400w MH in veg, but i pay .09/kwh, so during flower my 1000w HPS costs about $60/month with fans, exhaust, humidifier, etc. Unless i get the same light output for half the wattage from LED, its not worth it for most tent grows in my experience. if ambient heat is an issue, or energy costs is prohibitive, then its LED all day.
1000w of his is 9 amps. Yes and depending on location electricity rates are subjective. Efficiency is what strikes me the most when you talk LED. You'll be replacing an HPS after 6 months, and lets be honest, it's not going to be running 100% factoring in turning it off and on with the timer. You proposed a effective light, but lets consider LED technology today..

Elevated1

Elevated1

I would say it won't be too much for flowering. Need to let them grow up a bit first before getting full light.

You want about 650-900 ppfd to maximize potential yield without CO2. I think you will be a little short of this in the corners with just these 2 in a 5x5.

But if you are doing just 5 plants you might not be going for a full 5x5 canopy anyways.

View attachment 970707

I’ll only be growing 5 plants at a time due to the state laws. I won’t be using the whole 5x5 tent. I only went with a bigger tent to have room for other equipment if needed and room to work inside the tent. I’ll be using more of a 4x4 at best I’d think. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Elevated1

Elevated1

Honestly I felt like these was better quality that the majority of the blurple led lights on amazon and eBay. I’m new to growing and felt confident about the purchase lol. So at this point I’m stuck with the lights. Future upgrades are always a possibility. But for now I’ll have to do with what I have bud. Thank you for the reply.

threatco

threatco

I am not an expert so I could be wrong but I think the actual numbers are better in LED's favor then "same light output for half wattage"

Let's look at a 4x4 tent. 1 with a 1000w HPS at 24 inches. 1 with 2x 1500w (260w at wall) KingPlus LED lights.

source: https://growace.com/blog/why-is-par-rating-a-big-deal-for-indoor-grow-light-systems/

Compare this to 2 of these beside each other.

824 in the middle for HPS, 720 in the middle for this LED

The edge of the HPS readings around 300 PPFD would be around where the #2 is on the KINGLED chart, which is about 400 PPFD.

What this tells me is the 1000W HPS is comparable, or marginally better in a smaller footprint, then this 260W LED.

With 2 of these LED lights, it would be absolutely crushing the HPS using 52% the wattage, especially considering they can be spaced out to more efficiently spread out the intensity.

150$ per light. so 300$ for 2. Not much more than a decent HPS with ballast. And the LED's will last a few years potentially.

visajoe1

visajoe1

Just a reminder, the title of the thread is: thoughts on lights. I gave my thoughts based on experience, I thought that was the idea? lol. Most of the posts I see above is just conjecture. We'll all be curious what happens, keep us posted @Elevated1, happy growing!

Elevated1

Elevated1

Just a reminder, the title of the thread is: thoughts on lights. I gave my thoughts based on experience, I thought that was the idea? lol. Most of the posts I see above is just conjecture. We'll all be curious what happens, keep us posted @Elevated1, happy growing!

Will do my man. I appreciate everyone’s input. Just waiting on my seeds so I can get to growing 😁.

Top Bottom