Thoughts on Running 400w HPS Alongside LED?

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

I have a 400w HPS light and reflector, plus 3 90w LED and one 130w LED. Was going to put the 400W HPS in the middle and the LED lights at each end of a 4x10 veg area. Thoughts?

My own reasoning for why this may work:
1. Veg area is currently about 5 degrees F too cool at 68, and my clone zone is in the same room.

2. The LED lights alone just don't seem to encourage the girls to really fill out and take off

3. The wavelength things; LED emits light in its tuned spectra in blue and red wavelengths, and the HPS emits light mostly in the middle. Seems pretty complementary on first inspection.

4. Both the 400W HPS and the LED lights have simial penetration, where T5 or CFL would have less.

5. If more light is still needed;
a. how would I know by looking?
b. I could hang CFL or T5 on the walls; I have both.

Anyone find any flaws in the arrangement? Any alternative mounting/lighitng mix suggestions?

P

PatFenis

can't see that it would hurt anything? and it will definately enhance the spectrum of your 400w hps. go for it and post a journal :) I'd be interested in seeing the results!

W

willy led wonka

I dont think you have enought light for 40 sqft. You need to increase your light per sqft upto around 40-60 watts. Normally that size area would have a couple of 1000hps or 3 600 watt hps lights. And the leds you have arent gonna give you enough light to make it work efficiently. You will get the heat from the hps that you're looking for as well as athe benefit of the spectrums from the leds. The quality of your end product should increase significantly. But with the lack of overall light--- the size and yield wont be there. JMO

ttystikk

ttystikk

I dont think you have enought light for 40 sqft. You need to increase your light per sqft upto around 40-60 watts. Normally that size area would have a couple of 1000hps or 3 600 watt hps lights. And the leds you have arent gonna give you enough light to make it work efficiently. You will get the heat from the hps that you're looking for as well as athe benefit of the spectrums from the leds. The quality of your end product should increase significantly. But with the lack of overall light--- the size and yield wont be there. JMO

I think you may have missed the part about this being used as my veg area. Light intensity needn't be as high, and they're moving under 1000W HPS @ 55W/sq. ft. for flowering.

Will set it up and run it for awhile, and take some pics with an update.

K

kes5480

i think that will work just fine for ur veg area.
let us kno how it works out for ya.
I also use a 1000watt to flower and i love it.
peace
Kes

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

You have your head in the right place. Adding LEDs on the side of your HPS is always a good idea. Make sure LEDs are level and never on an angle. Also make sure that the LED components are not getting too hot, due to being next to or near an HPS. Too much heat can cause LEDs to go out.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Now is a good time to come back and share some thoughts on my experiences with LED thus far:

As an adjunct light source in the vegetative phase, they are highly effective; plants love them, they don't heat the space up and they fill in dark corners like nobody's business. Paired with a 1000w MH bulb in an adjust-s-wing reflector in a 4x8 tent, this combo lights my whole veg area with plenty of power.

As an adjunct in flower, I was disappointed, however. Maybe it was my setup, but I saw nothing that suggested increased yield or quality with LED added to HPS. If I placed the fixture closer to the plants to accentuate its potential effects, it ended up shading the plant from the light of the HPS above- not a positive outcome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom