Thoughts on these leaves...

• Thread starter Nascent
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nascent

Nascent

Just wondering about the inner of the leaves having a slight darkening... any thoughts or does this girl look healthy?

Thoughts on these leaves
NairnM16

NairnM16

Just wondering about the inner of the leaves having a slight darkening... any thoughts or does this girl look healthy?
Looks fine to me just looks like new growth grown faster than it can should be fine,
Maybe remove some inward facing leaves to expose more bud sites

Nascent

Nascent

Thank you! I have been debating on the appropriate amount of defoliation to do... as in finding the proper balance of removing enough leaves to allow light to those sights, but still keeping a sufficient amount for energy for the plant. Some people seem to do a lot and I don’t know if that in turn slows growth due to lack of sites capable of storing energy for the plant.

NairnM16

NairnM16

Thank you! I have been debating on the appropriate amount of defoliation to do... as in finding the proper balance of removing enough leaves to allow light to those sights, but still keeping a sufficient amount for energy for the plant. Some people seem to do a lot and I don’t know if that in turn slows growth due to lack of sites capable of storing energy for the plant.
Week 2 flower on my 4x4
Literally just done a wee strip there probably won’t do another till day 42
Just remove the ones covering bud sights
Maybe a few of the lower ones as well
Minimise popcorn nugs nd more light penetration

NairnM16

NairnM16

You can defoliate in the first 3 weeks
All growth uses light nd Nutes
If you remove some of the lower growt,
the top colas are gonna be taking up more additives in theory bigger colas nd less popcorn

Nascent

Nascent

Darker veins in the centre looks like the beginning stages of nitrogen deficiency to me. The lighter green areas will start to turn more yellowish over time if that’s the case
Everything has been moving along well. I will post new pics in a few days. Luckily no other sign aside from the inner darkening.

Anthem

Anthem

It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks is causing the light/dark fan leaf's. Someone mentions taking off fan leaf's to expose lower bud sites, I would recommend taking any grow in the bottom third off the plant including buds. Secondly, I take off all buds below the 5th or 6th nod. This allows for the remaining bud sites to grow larger. This makes for better overall bud quality because you eliminate the smaller popcorn buds.
As far at the light/dark leaves I am going to say the plant needs more nutrients. What is your grow media, light and nutrients ?

Nascent

Nascent

It will be interesting to see what everyone thinks is causing the light/dark fan leaf's. Someone mentions taking off fan leaf's to expose lower bud sites, I would recommend taking any grow in the bottom third off the plant including buds. Secondly, I take off all buds below the 5th or 6th nod. This allows for the remaining bud sites to grow larger. This makes for better overall bud quality because you eliminate the smaller popcorn buds.
As far at the light/dark leaves I am going to say the plant needs more nutrients. What is your grow media, light and nutrients ?

4X4 w/2 ES300s , using FFOF soil and only using Big Bloom and Grow Big.

I have compared two plants side by side in identical conditions, the plant that was not defoliated (only changed variable) as heavily is smaller, with less bud sites, but producing seemingly more dense nugs.
The plants which were defoliated, pretty much as you suggested, are bigger and have more bud sites, however, they’re production/ growth is not as rapid and I can see the nugs will not be as dense if my assumptions are correct.

I know this is inverse of what you suggested and my assumptions may be wrong... but I will post pics later today for comparasion.

see @nacewindu n IG for current fliccs.

Thank you to all who have provided input.

Anthem

Anthem

I have compared two plants side by side in identical conditions, the plant that was not defoliated (only changed variable) as heavily is smaller, with less bud sites, but producing seemingly more dense nugs.
The plants which were defoliated, pretty much as you suggested, are bigger and have more bud sites, however, they’re production/ growth is not as rapid and I can see the nugs will not be as dense if my assumptions are correct.

I know this is inverse of what you suggested and my assumptions may be wrong... but I will post pics later today for comparasion.

Did you grow from seed or clones?

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Darker veins in the centre looks like the beginning stages of nitrogen deficiency to me. The lighter green areas will start to turn more yellowish over time if that’s the case
Agreed looks like you’re stopped veg nutes and gone all bloom. Overall looks like a nice grow. Try Natural light photos, easier to diagnose.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That's because defoliation is bro-science, but that aside here's this..
20200317 211046

Nascent

Nascent

Do the leaves snap off clean..or are they hard to break off? Rubbery like?

They have been a variety tbh. I would say that typically more rubbery is what I’ve dealt experienced though... pls expand on these indications...

Nascent

Nascent

Secondly,
What are 2 es300's? I am not familiar with that light.

Electric Sky 300’s ... running 2 of them in a 4x4.

they are an LED light mfg by Green Sunshine Co.

I have enjoyed them and they are proving to be very efficient for my setup.

Anthem

Anthem

Electric Sky 300’s ... running 2 of them in a 4x4.

they are an LED light mfg by Green Sunshine Co.

I have enjoyed them and they are proving to be very efficient for my setup.
Those are good LED lights. I checked them out but was not going to work for me. From what I have found with LED's is that the plant does like more N than under HPS as well as more Cal Mag. I am presently running soil. Also the overall nutrient requirements of the plant goes up due to the increase in metabolism.

Top Bottom