Thoughts on up-potting during flower pros/cons ?

• Thread starter GarrPhunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

With limited headroom, and floor space,I was thinking of starting flower in 3gals and after initial stretch up-potting to 5gals????
It’s indoor soil grow
Plants are clones in 2.5 qts now- def past time to transplant. I have read that smaller pots will reduce size, but can I transplant again from 3 gals at start to 5gals 3rd week of flower?
All advice appreciated
Thanks

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

With limited headroom, and floor space,I was thinking of starting flower in 3gals and after initial stretch up-potting to 5gals????
It’s indoor soil grow
Plants are clones in 2.5 qts now- def past time to transplant. I have read that smaller pots will reduce size, but can I transplant again from 3 gals at start to 5gals 3rd week of flower?
All advice appreciated
Thanks
Are you trying to keep as many clones as you can so you can pick the ones you like best when you up-pot to 5 gal?

If this were my grow, I would skip the 3 gallon pots and go directly to the 5 gal. I start mine from seed and go from 1 gallon pots directly to 5 gallon fabric bags and then veg a few weeks before flip.

It sounds like you want to keep all you can and then save the best. You won't kill them by transplanting during flower, but you do stand a chance of transplant shock.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Once a plant is flowering, it doesn't invest much energy in building new leaves or roots. The roots you have going into flower are the roots you are going to have. You want them to grow roots during vegging. Changing pots during flower isn't going to help much.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

It’s indoor soil grow
All advice appreciated
Thanks
Go to the big pots and supercrop the things. Very easy to do. Clones are not as easy as a plant from seed to top but that can be done to control height as well.

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

@MIGrampaUSA
To clarify, I should have said plants are from clones - in 2.5qts now.
thanks for the input everyone

@OldManRiver - if the 2.5qts are root bound will the roots at least find space if up-potted and flipped or is it best to always up-pot and give veg time before flipping?
I was intentionally keeping them in the 2.5s as I went a little over board cutting clones 😁 and was trying to bide time til flower room was empty.
Now they def have to be transplanted or I have to water morning and night.
9B263BA8 D7F4 4A40 B119 B713682F9635

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

@Pushrod Monkey
I’m trying to learn manifolding etc
The super cropping is not hard to do - physically. Getting myself to do it mentally is the challenge - but I have accidentally broken and propped a branch or two that are now flowering with nice nugs so I know it works. LST is much easier on me - lmao
Pic is of two I have recently done
Thanks for the input !!!
CAB15B05 8597 4C2E A823 2384BB7C4C18

growsince79

growsince79

Once a plant is flowering, it doesn't invest much energy in building new leaves or roots. The roots you have going into flower are the roots you are going to have. You want them to grow roots during vegging. Changing pots during flower isn't going to help much.
Agree kinda. Depending on the plant, sometimes it's okay to flip and transplant first day you see sex. I wouldn't wait until after stretch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom