Thousands of microscopic translucent/white bugs that look like ants in coco?

• Thread starter JohnnyScience
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JohnnyScience

I just found out I have a serious bug problem.

I am running coco & the following nutes:

CNS17 Grow
Liquid Karma
Superthrive
Silicon nute
BioRoot
Great White
Cal-mag+
Flavorful

After watering today I had my hands in the pots by the coco & all of a sudden it seemed like there were hundreds of micro bubbles popping all over & out of the coco. After a few minutes of studying it & putting my hands in it, I realized it was hundreds & thousands of microscopic bugs!

They really couldn't be seen by the human eye, it really just looked like hundreds of micro bubbles popping at first. So I took a 60x hand scope & as best as I could tried to see what these things look like.

They look like a white/translucent ant or something and were crawling around inside the coco like an ant colony. And one second they're under the scope & the next they "pop" or jump away, it's crazy.

Has anyone heard of these?

The bud doesn't seem to have anything on it & they are strictly on the coco (for now) So it's safe for now. We were hoping to be able to run them for 2 more weeks & not have to chop them now, so if these are bad & we can clean them up, that would be preferred.

I also couldn't tell you if this has been going on for weeks or days, I just noticed it a little bit.

Could it be the Great White? I've used it A LOT, probably more than the jar says to.

Please help!

Thanks.

J

JohnnyScience

A couple of other people on another forum just replied saying springtails too. Except I can't find any that look like mine? They are completely translucent/white, no other color.

Seems others say they are harmless & hard to get rid of anyways?

Where in the world did they come from? The Great White?

I have perlite & worm castings mixed in with the coco.

So you think smothering them on the surface with perlite would work? But what about all of the ones living inside the coco? I seen them coming in & out like an ant farm.

420Gator

420Gator

Ive only ran coco once and had minor bug problems similar to what youre describing. I dont think the perlite "smothers" them but it keeps them from coming up, I guess they have a hard time climbing up it and that kills them somehow, like theyre no longer able to reach the surface

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
i was told once ..that springtails are water born o_O...ive had springtails so bad you could watch my soil dance..they seem to thrive off wet soil, but hate it when you flush...a infestation could cause problems, like thousands of them..they hate spectracide..but only good to use early in veg

soserthc1

soserthc1

the word thousands kinds of alarm's me , you say two weeks left , I would start my flush now and flush really well , then add the perlite or verm on top and check in a day or two , are you buds looking normal , leaves looking healthy , where is your grow located , do you have it in veg plant's , mothers ..........

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Went through exactly what you described. Researched it alot. There are different species of springtails. " blind springtails" are what you are seeing. They love coco also. Suppose to be harmless. I had a link on blind springtails but it dont work now. When I had them they never affected anything i could tell. RB

motiv303

motiv303

Amputating Fakeness
Supporter
Definitely springtails, i get em every time in canna or cyco coco (when i run coco that is).Theyre not harmful to your plants and actually consume dead plant matter, but they reproduce at an alarming rate and its kinda nasty but.......is what it is. I dont even bother with trying to get rid of them. Peace! Motiv.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

oh sorry, skimmed too quick and missed your 'popping away' comment.

hm's eat fugnat larvs, so they're always welcome in my garden, got thousands of them running around now in fact.

D

Don007206

Mite eggs ... Asa ax works ok but it's a on going battle at best ... I have been told judo is the shit but can't find it..

D

Don007206

Ok you guys give me a brake I was say ing it works on eggs and pest it just came out wrong smoking - nd text typing on I pad not the best combo, and what do you think he should use your jokes might work ,

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Ok you guys give me a brake I was say ing it works on eggs and pest it just came out wrong smoking - nd text typing on I pad not the best combo, and what do you think he should use your jokes might work ,

LOL.......

I got a joke.....

why do Dr's slap babies on the ass?
-to knock the dicks off of the dumb ones.

:D

I dont think it will kill springtails though.....lol...

C

cctt

Springtails are microbivores, so your microbial inoculants are likely promoting their presence in your coco. I wouldn't worry about it. All my best plants have been teeming with springtails. Just part of a healthy ecosystem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom