Threatco - Little black circles - Flowering day 22

• Thread starter threatco
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

What is wrong with my leaves? (A and B)

• It's probably a fungus, and you should treat it.

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • It's probably a fungus, but some small amount is normal. Don't worry about it if it does not spread

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's probably something else.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was using about 2/3 the recommended dosage of Remo's Bloom, Micro, and Astroflower until a week ago when I made this post. Since then, 100% recommended.

I was using 1/20th recommend Magnifical until a week ago when I made this post. Since then, 100% recommended.

View attachment 974630

View attachment 974631
View attachment 974632
High P can kinda present as high nitrogen at first and can affect calcium and magnesium uptake. I'm kinda thinking it's plausible this could could be what you are seeing. Especially if added cal mag haven't helped.

threatco

threatco

High P can kinda present as high nitrogen at first and can affect calcium and magnesium uptake. I'm kinda thinking it's plausible this could be what you are seeing. Especially if added cal mag haven't helped.

Too much P you are saying? So maybe go easy on the Astroflower for a bit you think?

I was considering upping the mag/cal a bit.

Or reducing the light intensity.

Thoughts?

FYI Reservoir temp is 17.8 C (64f)

threatco

threatco

I am thinking perhaps my attempts to keep ph in 6.0 to 6.5 (sometimes goes to 6.8 before I can check it) in order to aid calcium absorption has contributed to P lockout?

Maybe I should give it some 5.5PH water for a bit?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Too much P you are saying? So maybe go easy on the Astroflower for a bit you think?

I was considering upping the mag/cal a bit.

Or reducing the light intensity.

Thoughts?

FYI Reservoir temp is 17.8 C (64f)
If you added cal mag and it's still progressing 4-5 days later then I may look to another reason calcium may not be being taken up. That's could be a few reasons. High P could be one reason.

If you haven't tried some cal mag then I would try some first and give it 4-5 days to see the response from the plant. The existing spots will not go away so look for new or spreading deficiency.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am thinking perhaps my attempts to keep ph in 6.0 to 6.5 (sometimes goes to 6.8 before I can check it) in order to aid calcium absorption has contributed to P lockout?

Maybe I should give it some 5.5PH water for a bit?

View attachment 974636
Dude ime never go over 6.1 I generally like 5.6-5.8 and let it drift up to 6.0 never above.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Wish I looked at these nutrients earlier. Ditch the astro all together. Way to much pk seems bloom nutes fuck up so many grows atleast this is not bad yet. High P and high K both fuck with calcium and other nutrients.

Adjust the ph and your problem should be solved.

threatco

threatco

I took a few steps today. Thanks, @Aqua Man for taking extra time and to share some very helpful knowledge.

I changed out my reservoir today with fresh nutrient solution. I used close to the directed amounts (~7ml/gal instead of 8) of Bloom, Micro, MagnifiCal each. I ditched the Astroflower (aka bloom booster) under the hypothesis that it was contributing to the problem with too much pk for late flower.

I also learned that with my super low ppm water, it is okay to use some PH UP (about 1 tsp/5gal) prior to adding nutrients and then finally adding PH down. I was struggling with 0.5 to 0.8 PPM swings over several hours. So I will be using my Potassium Hydroxide 34% for now, and shop for some potassium silicate to use instead.

With this mix, my 6.8 ph 30 ppm tap water went to 12.00, and ppm went to 150 after adding 1tsp/5gal.

After adding my nutrients to the water the ph went to 8.0 and ppm went to 850.

After adding about 3 tsp of phosphoric acid 34% the ph came down to 5.5 and stayed there with a PPM of 880.

I also changed the lighting, taking out the 650 actual watts of "full-spectrum" blurples, and replacing it with a single 240w V4 hl lm301b quantum led. Once I see no more signs of burning I intend to up the DLI incrementally by adding more lights.

This light has 512 pcs Samsung lm301B leds (even mix of 3000k and 4000k)+32pcs Epistar 660nm.

I have also changed from flooding every 3 hours 24/7 to only flooding during lights on. I used to just be too lazy to set the actual time on it. And am flooding at 50% greater frequency during that 12-hour lights-on period than I was before. (every 2 hours instead of 3)

Fingers crossed that the girls respond well and finish their last half of flowering on their best foot.

I will be cleaning up the dead leaves on the bottom and in the branches.

20200521 173429

20200521 173651

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I took a few steps today. Thanks, @Aqua Man for taking extra time and to share some very helpful knowledge.

I changed out my reservoir today with fresh nutrient solution. I used close to the directed amounts (~7ml/gal instead of 8) of Bloom, Micro, MagnifiCal each. I ditched the Astroflower (aka bloom booster) under the hypothesis that it was contributing to the problem with too much pk for late flower.

I also learned that with my super low ppm water, it is okay to use some PH UP (about 1 tsp/5gal) prior to adding nutrients and then finally adding PH down. I was struggling with 0.5 to 0.8 PPM swings over several hours. So I will be using my Potassium Hydroxide 34% for now, and shop for some potassium silicate to use instead.

With this mix, my 6.8 ph 30 ppm tap water went to 12.00, and ppm went to 150 after adding 1tsp/5gal.

After adding my nutrients to the water the ph went to 8.0 and ppm went to 850.

After adding about 3 tsp of phosphoric acid 34% the ph came down to 5.5 and stayed there with a PPM of 880.

I also changed the lighting, taking out the 650 actual watts of "full-spectrum" blurples, and replacing it with a single 240w V4 hl lm301b quantum led. Once I see no more signs of burning I intend to up the DLI incrementally by adding more lights.

This light has 512 pcs Samsung lm301B leds (even mix of 3000k and 4000k)+32pcs Epistar 660nm.

I have also changed from flooding every 3 hours 24/7 to only flooding during lights on. I used to just be too lazy to set the actual time on it. And am flooding at 50% greater frequency during that 12-hour lights-on period than I was before. (every 2 hours instead of 3)

Fingers crossed that the girls respond well and finish their last half of flowering on their best foot.

I will be cleaning up the dead leaves on the bottom and in the branches.

View attachment 975811
View attachment 975812
Curious to see the ph after 24 hrs. If it's rock stable try cutting back to 1/2 tsp.

threatco

threatco

Curious to see the ph after 24 hrs. If it's rock stable try cutting back to 1/2 tsp.

Just checked and PH was at 6.28. I figure as a result of flooding my grow media and mixing with whatever was left in the roots etc. When I tested 5.5 before it was without doing any flooding.

So I gave it a good 3ml squirt of acid and it went right back to 5.48.

I will see if it now stays put over floods or not.

threatco

threatco

18 hours since my last post.

PH is at 6.39

I would say that shows I failed to buffer the reservoir by much. It is still swinging in the same range, just perhaps taking more hours to do it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

18 hours since my last post.

PH is at 6.39

I would say that shows I failed to buffer the reservoir by much. It is still swinging in the same range, just perhaps taking more hours to do it.
Yup that the point it should take longer. Try going to 10ml per 5gal next water change

threatco

threatco

Make sure water is aerated before using if it's tap.

To be fair I realized I did 5 ml. Per 13 gal, not per 5 gal like I reported.

Seemed like a lot at the time.

Will bump that up next time.

How much aerated do you mean? How do you aerate your water before you mix your chemicals?

threatco

threatco

The plants drank quite a lot of water in 24 hours and the PPM had gone down from 880 to 700.

I had brought the ph down to 5.5 after the last post.

I then topped up about 3 gal of water which had about 5ml ph up in it. Ph went back up to 6.5

Mixed in acid solution to get 5.46 and back to 700 ppm.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Did you check for spider mites? Yeah the ph should be more stable now then. It's a good sign they are drinking well

threatco

threatco

Did you check for spider mites? Yeah the ph should be more stable now then. It's a good sign they are drinking well

I've been looking at affected leaves with a 60 x microscope and I have not seen any sign of pests.

I only grow Hydro and keep outside clothes away. Not even house plants or carpet so hopefully I don't encounter that issue

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've been looking affected leaves with a 60 x microscope and I have not seen any sign of pests.

I only grow Hydro and keep outside clothes away. Not even house plants or carpet so hopefully I don't encounter that issue
Ok just wanted to make sure. Should see it stop progressing in a day or 2. If it's still spreading then it will need some more looking into but I'm fairly confident it won't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom