Time to buy a chiller for mpb - Favorites?

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Alright all you guys with experience with chillers, what are your favorite and why?

I am getting ready to pick up some sort of 1/2 hp chiller for my 5 mpb and want your guys input.

My local shop has an active aqua and the ecoplus. It would be nice to pick it up locally, although if it is not gonna perform or last, I gotta look elsewhere.

Thanks everyone.:nod

-TF :evilgrin0013:

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I've got an ecoplus it works great, but southernfarms recently posted up a link for a titanium 1hp for under 1k that looked really good, heres the link...

E

easypleasie

I have a few JBJ chillers and very happy with them.

My 1/2 HP is a commercial model that's pretty quiet and efficient.

Prod chiller commercial1
L

Lost

I've got an ecoplus it works great, but southernfarms recently posted up a link for a titanium 1hp for under 1k that looked really good, heres the link...

I have the 3/4 hp version on the way. Prime chillers, the modular series is bomb. Mine has been going almost non stop for a year. Right now its trying to cool 225-250 gallons down to 65 a,d failing by 3 degrees (1/3 hp). Then again im running 8100 watts..

B

Bobby_604

i have one..from them..it arrived with no refrigerant in it

..i checked it out via tech support...i didn't bother contacting them because i live too far away

just took it to an a/c shop paid 90$ for a valve and filling it..big deal

if you talk to them you may quote me LOl.

got my pumps and high blows there.

1/2 hp is ok..

even 6k in hot weather is close to being a strain on it..
go big

Ok. I'll get the 1 HP then. Did you get the hiblow 40 or 80?

C

CannaColorado

heres the one i scooped a bit back, had some toruble with shipping from the dude, technically my fault but screw ebay.... anyways itll be here monday so i don't know if its tits or not buts its 929 shipped

L

Lost

heres the one i scooped a bit back, had some toruble with shipping from the dude, technically my fault but screw ebay.... anyways itll be here monday so i don't know if its tits or not buts its 929 shipped

Just between you and me and the internet that guy is a fucking tool.

cardrack111

cardrack111

chiller..

Has anyone had any experience with this chiller?

It's quite a bit cheaper...so I'm a bit skeptical unless I hear otherwise.

Apache69

Apache69

Has anyone had any experience with this chiller?

It's quite a bit cheaper...so I'm a bit skeptical unless I hear otherwise.

I have heard that it is a POS...but thats hear say. I dont think I would want to go too low budge on the chiller. I think that it is one of the most important parts.

Good luck!

Z

zoeronerer

i design aquarium systems....

back in the day when we needed a cheap chiller we would take a mini fridge drill holes in it and put looped tubing inside the unit ..adjust the thermostat on the unit and if u need put the pump that pumps the water through on a timer. i used a regular house fridge on an nft bed i made in the 90's ...worked great .. get thin tube so the heat exchange is good . sometimes a slower pump worked better...adjust the flow..and insulate the outflow to the rez.

i know some of you are doing this with no money and this could cut costs .
mine worked for years so we never replaced it with a real deal chiller.
there are very high end silent aquarium chillers and blowers that are out there but they are 5 times the money u guys want to spend.

sound is my only issue with these systems ..... but money gets around that .

opt1c

opt1c

i like oceanic chillers... coralife is good too but i like the oceanic better and i think oceanic may of bought the coralife brand... the active aqua chillers are garbage

u can also use a coil chiller for home beer brewing as long as it isn't copper

Boylobster

Boylobster

My only experience is with the JBJ Arctica chillers, but of the two I've used, I've been very happy. They're both very quiet, and seem quite efficient at the proper flow rates - that is, they don't have to run for long to bring the temps down. My 2 pennies...

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ory=FICHINQCBC&child=JB1113&tab=1&size=1/5 HP

I've also been very impressed with the customer service at this vendor. Again, nothing definitive - just my experience.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

My only experience is with the JBJ Arctica chillers, but of the two I've used, I've been very happy. They're both very quiet, and seem quite efficient at the proper flow rates - that is, they don't have to run for long to bring the temps down. My 2 pennies...

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ory=FICHINQCBC&child=JB1113&tab=1&size=1/5 HP

I've also been very impressed with the customer service at this vendor. Again, nothing definitive - just my experience.

BL,
I think you are right on the money. I just ordered up a jbj 1/2hp that should be here tuesday. :bong2:

I wish I knew about your deal however... I got a good deal, but your website has it almost %50 off!!! Over $150 cheaper than I got mine for. Oh well. Next time. :doh

E

easypleasie

$875 is super cheap for that 1/2 hp! They didn't have that deal when I got mine. If I ever need a 1 hp chiller, i'll be picking it up from there.

Apache69

Apache69

Latest posts

Top Bottom