Time to start this years vegtable garden

• Thread starter putembk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
putembk

putembk

Temps in Denver are going to push 80 today and the soil has warmed and dried out so I think I will till the garden and plant lettuce, spinach, carrots and radishes today. I will wait a couple of weeks and plant beets, broccoli and peas. I should be enjoying fresh veggies by mid to late April. Just in the nick of time as my frozen stuff from last year is running low.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We can only start the seedlings, and many should have been started in January, especially the peppers and eggplants.

We didn't have a summer last year, ran out of our own provisions a long time ago. We had ONE MONTH of tomatoes, September 1--October 1, and that was IT. Got a very few squashes, a few eggplants, enough peppers to fill a bag but certainly not enough to pickle. Same thing with the tomatillos, got enough to make maybe a dozen pints of sauce.

And the beds..? Oh man, they need some serious work. Overgrown and weedy, lots of pulling to be done. Will have to lay down the irrigation after that's done, shouldn't be too hard. But some of those weeds have stalks as thick as my wrist, seriously. None of my cover crops germinated, probably because when they were sown last fall we got a few days of rain and that was it, and I wasn't able to take care of the watering.

Now I'm working to get myself back to where I was physically two years ago. Wish me luck, because I want to eat, to grow, to live me some life.

putembk

putembk

Didn't start anything from seed this year. I started to early last year and we had a cool spring so I had to keep everything indoors much longer than I wanted. I started having a mold problem which almost killed my wife. I will buy peppers, broccoli and tomato plants and everything else will be seeds started outdoors. Garden is now tilled and the dirt is dark and rich looking, smells great when freshly turned over as well.
Just finished feeding the girls downstairs and will now go outside and finish planting. Life is good in the dirt.

putembk

putembk

My radishes popped up this morning. I am thinking about planting peas, cabbage and broccoli later this week. Hot and dry in Colorado right now, it's tempting to think about warmer weather crops but I have been down that road before. Still can get well below freezing let alone frost this time of year. My next door neighbor has a small green house and already has peppers, tomatoes and a variety of warm weather stuff already going. Watching him is humorous though, he allows the humidity to run well over 90% and he is a regular typhoid marry when it comes to bugs, mold, mildew and fungus. I have tried to give him advise several times but he is in his own world. Last year he lost everything to well think about it. I would love to take him down into my basement and watch his jaw drop with what is going on down there.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hehheh, Typhoid Mary. I love it!

I know EXACTLY what you mean about some people not wanting to listen. I met a patient last week, the only thing this guy was interested in was hearing his own flappin' gums. Kept contradicting himself and... it's just difficult to tolerate, but if I'm going to do what I plan on doing, I have to tolerate it. But do I have to tolerate it well?

Oddly enough, we have one seed only that's popped. A cauliflower.

putembk

putembk

I would go out this morning and check but the garden is under 4" of snow. Need the moisture so bad I don't care. Gonna plant peas, cucumbers and broccoli this weekend. Gotta wait on the warm weather stuff, like I said it's snowing.

Mogrow

Mogrow

hey people, it's an early spring across much of the states, my god the azealas have already bloomed at Augusta, the horror of having to watch the Masters without the beautiful flowers of the azaleas......

My garden is tilled, have my root crops going and a few tomatoes that i can cover WHEN the freeze or frost hits, which it will. I was at the garden center yesterday, all the people buying their summer flowers, putting them out on this beautiful day... Last time i looked april 15th was our last frost date and we have gone beyond that date 3 out of the last 4 years....

Planting my outdoor weed like a madman before the full moon...
Best of luck in both your gardens sea and putembk...
ps putembk,, sorry to hear about the state run fires up in your neck of the woods, sounds like they really fucked up and every agency trying to blame the other.. feel for those who lost their lives, homes, land......

putembk

putembk

Hey, Ozark buddy! Chiggers out yet? ha ha Can't say as I miss those little critters. Only one bad thing about Spring, pollen is killing me. Taking all kinds of stuff for it and my nose and eyes run like a fountain. Been sneezing so much it hurts to touch my raw nose. Glad my garden down stairs doesn't have the same effect, wonder why? Love making things green.

urbanfog

urbanfog

got my seeds in containers to start out, done this weekend. Threw out an assortment of maters, spinach, swiss chard, yellow squash, peas, string beans, 3 kinds peppers, red and purple potatoes, zucchini, ca poppies and some sweet corn.

I

inthosegenes

Hey, Ozark buddy! Chiggers out yet? ha ha Can't say as I miss those little critters. Only one bad thing about Spring, pollen is killing me. Taking all kinds of stuff for it and my nose and eyes run like a fountain. Been sneezing so much it hurts to touch my raw nose. Glad my garden down stairs doesn't have the same effect, wonder why? Love making things green.
I feel you putembk. Have you found anything to be helpful at all? Mine seems to get worse at night for whatever reason. Could probably use some duct cleaning at the house nut it's just been brutal so far this year.

Top Bottom