Timers-Amps-Lights

• Thread starter GirlCarny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GirlCarny

I have no real world experience just 2nd hand knowledge from reading various boards From what I have read these timers are not recommended for 1k lights because they melt down or fail fairly quickly Anyone have any experience with the plug in timers and 1k lights?

410Xnfi158L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2nd question. We are still debating using either 1 1k or 2 600w lights for our grow We were given a 600w Lumatek ballast hood and the above timer So financially it would be cheaper to buy another lumatek Does anyone have a recommendation for a plug in timer that can run 2 600w lights Or do you need those professional hard wired timers?

Thanks for taking the time to read, now go buy a corn dog. :evilgrin0040:

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

A professional hard wired would be the best. Hydro stores will have some relays that will handle more lights, and they just plug in. If you wanted to keep it the cheapest, I suppose you could use 2 timers. Problem is if the 2 timers get out of sync. If they are supposed to be unreliable on 1000, 1200 is definitely a no go. I only go for the digital timers myself, for accuracy, and memory back up.

true grit

true grit

Havent used that specific one, but have ran numerous 600's and 1k's on the same little digital type from Harbor Freight (same one hydrofarm rebadges)....

If its a tent and you have space i would run 2 (600) instead of a 1k...more lumen flux and watts.

budboy299

budboy299

This was my result of running 2 600watt Lumatek ballasts through the same timer.(I mean same as in through a single timer, not meaning same as in the same brand)
Damn timer continued working too, even in this state. The melting was due to both lamps striking at once.

Probably could of been avoided by having 2 timers and having one light fire up, then the other light fire up a few mins later. They can both shut off at the same time, its just firing up that is the HUGE current draw.

better yet, run the lights through contractors that way the current passes directly to the ballasts and not through the timer.

100 0001
100 0005
G

GirlCarny

True: Thats what we would like to do, run both 600w inside of a 4x8 tent Im stumped though on what to use as a timer or how to get both ballasts to start at the same time That picture buddyboy posted scares the hell outta me My electrical knowledge is really lacking

Buddy: So what are you using now?

thanks for the replies

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
>>jsut by two timers<<those timers are fine:)
easy

:passingjoint:

gtd

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Yep,
What GTD said. If ya gots no electrical bacground, the juatuse 2 timers. I would go digital. Then you could even stagger the two lights firing on by a minute or two.

budboy299

budboy299

definitely with that type of timer, use one per light. I would still stagger the "on" time by a couple mins. That way the power spike from one is over before the other fires up.
Fires are just not something to take any chances on.

I am currently running a contactor but it really isn't something to do unless you have some electrical know-how or have a friend with that knowledge.

B

Bobby Smith

Hey BudBoy (or anyone else who knows), do the digitals use as much startup amps as a comparable magnetic? While I'm pretty sure the answer to that is "no", I guess a better question would be "can two digitals run on the same timer"? 600 watt lights, timer is the link below (15 amp digital from Home Depot).

"GE 15 amp 7-Day Plug-In Dual-Outlet Digital Timer"

Was hoping to run two lights per each timer, but if the digis have that high startup draw than I guess I'd need two more timers............which I'd really like to avoid, if possible.

budboy299

budboy299

I've read that too Bobby, but I am not 100% certain either.

The back of the burnt out timer said..

15A 125VAC, 1/3HP 125VAC

thats why I figured it good for 2 - 600watt lights. Now Either the spike was too much with both firing at once or possibly even a faulty timer. (it was bought new just for this purpose)

Lumateks draw (just from memory) 6.3 amps or somthing like that, when run on a 120V household circuit. So my mind thought that it would be plenty for only the 2 lights. For whatever reason it was not.

Top Bottom