Timers....I need help or suggestions

• Thread starter 420Gator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Gator

420Gator

So I'm using two 40 amp timers, each for four 1Ks. Ive ran into a couple problems over the past few months.

1)they have a noticeable variation day to day when they turn on/off, they may be off by 2-3 minutes faster or slower. They never seem to get too far from the set time so this isn't a big problem as I only have 4 lights in use at the moment but i plan on running a flip-flop soon and I'd like to synchronize the two boxes but if they arent very accurate I'd have to sacrifice several minutes of light to compensate any fluctuation.

2) This is the big problem. Every now and then they don't like to work at all!!!. Like ill show up to the spot 30 minutes after lights on and the ladieas are sittin in the dark:(. Or this morning when I woke up and two hours after lights off and they were still working on their tans:angry Im at the point now where its like whats the fuckin point of having a timer when I have to be here to make sure they work properly? may as well flip the lights my self.

Any help very appreciated

Timersi need help or suggestions
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

How old are the timers? Are the start and stop pins tight? I have seen these timers as they get older they lose time. Also had complaints that they don't start on time because the pins slip ever so slight. Pins should be very tight.

420Gator

420Gator

only a few months old. Ill crank down on the pins and see how that works
thanks CJ

C

cheyenne

Yeah def make sure the pins are tight. Ive had problems in the past when those have loosened or popped off. Other then that those Intermatics are typically pretty bomber.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use a T103 and I am completely unable to get the set pins tightened enough by hand that they'll stay set, so I use a pair of pliers. As for getting the timing itself, I will literally stand there with something that tells the correct time and wait for it to be an exact minute (on the clock or quarter hour) and then set it. That's the closest I can get and that's good enough for me. Other than that I guess you have to go digital.

Olyver

Olyver

For about $50 more than the T103, you can buy a nice 240V/30A digital PARAGON (EC4000 or EC4004) and AUBE timers(TI040) . They are both very reliable digital timers.

C

cymbaline

dam pins get me too, I try and remember to go back the following day
and retweak them..
I bought extra pins so I'm about to put a second one after the first as a fail safe..

420Gator

420Gator

I use a T103 and I am completely unable to get the set pins tightened enough by hand that they'll stay set, so I use a pair of pliers. As for getting the timing itself, I will literally stand there with something that tells the correct time and wait for it to be an exact minute (on the clock or quarter hour) and then set it. That's the closest I can get and that's good enough for me. Other than that I guess you have to go digital.

I do use pliers but i guess the loosened just enuff, ill just tighten em once a month from now on

420Gator

420Gator

For about $50 more than the T103, you can buy a nice 240V/30A digital PARAGON (EC4000 or EC4004) and AUBE timers(TI040) . They are both very reliable digital timers.

actually plan on upgrading to this at some point

420Gator

420Gator

dam pins get me too, I try and remember to go back the following day
and retweak them..
I bought extra pins so I'm about to put a second one after the first as a fail safe..

fucking great idea

C

cymbaline

fucking great idea
I tried the extra pins last night and I don't know exactly what the issue is but it didn't seem to shut off on time.
I placed them directly behind the primary pin and I think
it might have created too much resistance and it wouldn't let the timer turn. It sounded like a good idea..

420Gator

420Gator

I thought the extra weight might affect the wheel, was a good thought tho

C

cymbaline

I think because of that (sticking pins on top of each other)it couldn't get past the "trip mechanism"
I don't see any point in placing them back an hour from the primaries. But yea at this point the follow-up the next few days after switching times seems to work the best..
It might be a weight issue but I'm pretty sure you can place several of those pins on these timers for different times of the day when a hot water tank would need turned on for example.
I was going to go digital when I bought this but I was afraid none of them would be heavy duty enough over the long run.

420Gator

420Gator

Whats the difference in time with the pins touching? 30 min?

420Gator

420Gator

Just a warning to everyone, the pins CAN be overtightened!!!! I recently re-tightened and woke up the next morning with half my power out. What happened was the metal lever which flips back and forth got stuck halway between on and off. Ill post a pic up later of the 100A breaker that exploded

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Im with ya on that Digi timers. Those timers the were around 50 bucks at the depot. The Digi's were 59 bucks.

J

Jalisco Kid

I use the aube 7 day programmable on my installs. It is rated for 20a which I use less then a tenth of that as it just is used to trigger a relay. $24
JK

Top Bottom