Tiny golden speckles on only some leaves?

• Thread starter Mothman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mothman

Mothman

I’m hoping someone has seen this symptom before and can help ID the problem. It’s my 2nd grow, coming to the end, and I’m a bit nervous. 😳

A week or so ago I started seeing this light speckling on the top side of several leaves about 4-6 inches down from the colas.

Details: It’s a Holy Grail Kush fem photo. I’m at 12 wks from seed, 6 wks since flip, indoor tent, 3-gal soft pot with 1part perlite and 10parts FFOF. Hand feeding the primary 3 from FF as directed, + for the past 4 feeds they got small amts of Ca/Mg (due to naturally soft water). Feeds alternate with pH adjusted tap water, so every 4th day it gets a feed of 2.5-3 qts). I have a 480W LED bar light set at 815 ppf (tent is 1 sq. meter). The light is about 21 inches or so from the tallest tops. (I can take it up another 2 inches without having to do major revision to my grow setup.)

The speckling is not on the other two plants (different strains) so I doubt it’s a bug, but I did see a single spot of damage on the underside of one leaf yesterday. These are not the lowest leaves or the highest, just nearer the top than bottom.

I added a longer shot for context. Ever seen these speckles?
Tiny golden speckles on only some leaves
Tiny golden speckles on only some leaves 2
Tiny golden speckles on only some leaves 3

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I’m hoping someone has seen this symptom before and can help ID the problem. It’s my 2nd grow, coming to the end, and I’m a bit nervous. 😳

A week or so ago I started seeing this light speckling on the top side of several leaves about 4-6 inches down from the colas.

Details: It’s a Holy Grail Kush fem photo. I’m at 12 wks from seed, 6 wks since flip, indoor tent, 3-gal soft pot with 1part perlite and 10parts FFOF. Hand feeding the primary 3 from FF as directed, + for the past 4 feeds they got small amts of Ca/Mg (due to naturally soft water). Feeds alternate with pH adjusted tap water, so every 4th day it gets a feed of 2.5-3 qts). I have a 480W LED bar light set at 815 ppf (tent is 1 sq. meter). The light is about 21 inches or so from the tallest tops. (I can take it up another 2 inches without having to do major revision to my grow setup.)

The speckling is not on the other two plants (different strains) so I doubt it’s a bug, but I did see a single spot of damage on the underside of one leaf yesterday. These are not the lowest leaves or the highest, just nearer the top than bottom.

I added a longer shot for context. Ever seen these speckles?View attachment 1260648View attachment 1260653View attachment 1260656
Looks like the root zone is too wet/not enough air or naturally using up their leaves nutrients,the buds look nice.

Mothman

Mothman

Looks like the root zone is too wet/not enough air or naturally using up their leaves nutrients,the buds look nice.
Thanks, buddy. I was hoping that's what it is. This pot is and always has been nearly bone dry when I check for watering/feeding every other day. I’m guessing it’s your “end of flower” theory—it makes more sense to me. Thanks again!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In addition looks like they have been a bit overfed and now entering a lockout. Very common mid to late flower after plenty of time to accumulate.

Next feed id flush 3x pot volume of temp and ph adjusted water through each pot. Then 1x with half dose of your recommended dosage.

Lots if work but I honestly feel this is needed. Im going of the sign of a few tox and deficiencies at once. That’s usually a lock due to extreme ph issues (which i doubt) or a buildup of salinity (which im fairly confident in)

Mothman

Mothman

In addition looks like they have been a bit overfed and now entering a lockout. Very common mid to late flower after plenty of time to accumulate.

Next feed id flush 3x pot volume of temp and ph adjusted water through each pot. Then 1x with half dose of your recommended dosage.

Lots if work but I honestly feel this is needed. Im going of the sign of a few tox and deficiencies at once. That’s usually a lock due to extreme ph issues (which i doubt) or a buildup of salinity (which im fairly confident in)
Excellent, thank you. I’ll do that today. If you have the time, I’d like to learn (for educational purposes) what those tox/def signs are that you’re seeing (besides the speckling). It’s dark green, but otherwise I haven’t noticed any other issues with the plant until now.
Thanks again, @Aqua Man!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Excellent, thank you. I’ll do that today. If you have the time, I’d like to learn (for educational purposes) what those tox/def signs are that you’re seeing (besides the speckling). It’s dark green, but otherwise I haven’t noticed any other issues with the plant until now.
Thanks again, @Aqua Man!
The shining dark green with some of the tip burn is N tox. Cal deficiency is also part of the tip burn and speckling. The rounded drop to the edges of the leaves is transpiration so that tells me they are struggling for one reason or another to take up water.

They are likely starting to drink much less and the media takes longer to dry?

This can can be from high salinity or watering issues and i likely assume both.

Your issues are not caused by nutrient ratios so simply adding or cutting a certain nutrient will not help. But as i say water flow from high salinity to low salinity so the higher the salinity in the media the slower the uptake if water (transpiration salt stress).

Now watering can compound it and effect this to… watering to often can lead to poor gas exchange in the media. This means the plant doesn’t have the oxygen requires to process uptake (transpiration).

Under watering or chronic excessive dry back will concentrate nutrients leading to a high salinity, low Ph and other issues. Plus the fact it has no water to uptake for a period

So the advice i have given will help reset the ph, ppm (salinity) and nutrient ratio of your media. I advised a light feed after because once you flush you will wash out almost all available nutrients and if you dont give a light feed you will start seeing deficiencies.

Then you need to ensure when your water that you saturate the entire media and let it dry back well before doing again. When using availabile nutrients like synthetic or organically derived you need to get a bit of run off each time you water. When using organic or slow release you do not want to have runoff unless you see some signs of tox or need to flush.

This is why i dont recommend mixing the 2 but rather once the organics is depleted and you start using synthetic then you start to make sure you have runoff each time.

Mothman

Mothman

They are likely starting to drink much less and the media takes longer to dry?
Thanks for the master class! I learned some stuff.

I’ve noticed it has started drinking slightly less. I’ve gone from 3 qts every other day to about 2.5 qts, same frequency, and I’ve rarely had more than a pint of runoff, usually much less). I check moisture daily and the soil mix doesn’t seem to be dry enough after 1 day, but at 2 days it feels very dry, as it has for most of flower phase. I figure watering every 1.5 days might be best but I can’t reliably do that.

I’ve prepped about 10 gal of water today and will give her a flush/drain/feed this evening, per your advice.

Since the other two plants in the tent have been receiving the same feed mix on about the same schedule, is it safe to assume they need the same treatment? I don’t see anything to concern me, but my eye is not as practiced as yours. Is this a case of, “When in doubt, flush it out?”

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’ve noticed it has started drinking slightly less. I’ve gone from 3 qts every other day to about 2.5 qts, same frequency, and I’ve rarely had more than a pint of runoff, usually much less). I check moisture daily and the soil mix doesn’t seem to be dry enough after 1 day, but at 2 days it feels very dry, as it has for most of flower phase. I figure watering every 1.5 days might be best but I can’t reliably do that.

I’ve prepped about 10 gal of water today and will give her a flush/drain/feed this evening, per your advice.

Since the other two plants in the tent have been receiving the same feed mix on about the same schedule, is it safe to assume they need the same treatment? I don’t see anything to concern me, but my eye is not as practiced as yours. Is this a case of, “When in doubt, flush it out?”
So go by lifting the pots because the too can be dry and bottom still wet. Try to water early in lights on to give them a chance to uptake more before lights off.

Mothman

Mothman

So go by lifting the pots because the too can be dry and bottom still wet. Try to water early in lights on to give them a chance to uptake more before lights off.
Got it. Yeah, I hoist 'em to check moisture levels. I'll try to do my watering earlier in the day. I appreciate the advice, brother.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry missed that question… water each as they need… some may require more or less often

figolus

figolus

Hi , it's very dark green , How look now Ur plant ? Looking Like N intoxication...
Try to see the EC nutrient soup. Ph need to be 6.5
Try to Practice a washing Roots and After give Ur plant only water with enzyme.... Ouch 2022😂 to late sorry

Mothman

Mothman

Hi , it's very dark green , How look now Ur plant ? Looking Like N intoxication...
Try to see the EC nutrient soup. Ph need to be 6.5
Try to Practice a washing Roots and After give Ur plant only water with enzyme.... Ouch 2022😂 to late sorry
No worries man. I’ve done it myself! Blame it on the smoke!

Top Bottom