Tips for growing in closet?

• Thread starter Candi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Candi

Hi everybody,

This is the first time I've ever grown anything before and I'm really excited to do it! I'll try to offer concise information regarding my grow closet.

Closet space:
2ft 3in Wide, 6.5ft Long, 4.5ft High (The closet is taller but it's 54 inches from floor to my grow light)

Lights:
1000 watt HPS w/ ballast and hood [Thanks to my friend for hooking it up!]
4-bulb T-5's with full spectrum and high output
(Planning to pick up a light rail)

Ventilation:
1) The closet is vented into my room since there's no way for me to bring it to the outside so I do plan on purchasing a carbon scrubber but do you think that it would be sufficient? I also have an A/C on to keep the room temperature at about 71F.

2) I've got intake pulling through the louvers of my closet door and exhaust (which is hooked up to a blower) going out through the top of my louvers.

Humidity/Thermometer:
Still need to get this

Stealthiness (??):
I have a comforter that I cut up and made into a door. It has zip ties up top and acts like a shower curtain. I would like to put Mylar or panda sheeting up soon.

My grow plan is to put down about 6-10 of these throughout the closet when flowering. Which pot size should I use for my last transplant?

Another question I have is about this idea I have since I'm limited on where I can place my T-5's. If I were to build some sort of table for my flowering plants on top while installing the T-5's underneath the bottom of the table so that I can place seedling under that light without being damaged. Here's a spatial representation:

(Top to Bottom)
1000w HPS (54inches from floor)

Flowering plants on tabletop

Table

T-5 hooked up to bottom of table

Vegging plants on ground

Is this going to be a viable option or am I better off trying to find another spot to place the light? Thank you so much for your help and opinions!

P.S. I've made it so that my amps do not exceed my circuit but I am concerned about the extension cord I have running to my HPS system. It's a 25ft cord and 14gauge, the 25ft is way too long I'm sure and putting up too much resistance so I will get a shorter cord! But do you think that running this system on an extension cord permanently will be a problem? I have no other way to plug it in :(

Thanks,
Noob ;)

S

seebobsled

I'll help here. I would go to a 12 gauge for long term and make sure it's on a separate circuit. For a mylar solution reflextics double bubble foil is great . Line your comforter with it. And 2- 400 watt hps or 250's would cover the area and control heat easier. 1k is a lot for the intended space. 1 k is good for 4'x4' .
To get by... flower small plants under the t5 till you have more space. Good luck and grow on!

Aforce

Aforce

I've been cut down to a small space recently and I'm doing what I can to maximize it..

What kind of ac unit do u have? Is it a portable unit or a window unit in the bedroom? Is it 71 in ur closet with the lights on? How many btu?
I'd try and use the ac as ur intake, i can show u pics of how I have a portable unit running that doesn't exhaust from the grow space (no smell this way) if that's the kind of unit u have..

It'd be a good idea to grab a carbon scrubber and use it inline with ur hood and fan as the exhaust..

I have issues with a 1k and not having much headroom due to radient heat, I have a bare bulb and about 3.5 feet from bulb to floor tho so u may not have the issue in ur set up, if u use a light mover u surely won't.. It doesn't seem to effect the buds much but some strains leaves canoe on me..

I'm running seed plants right now, they get just under 30 days from germ before they go in to my flower box and I top the b'jeezus outta them.. They are in party cups till a week before flower too, they get an up pot to a 5in X 5in square pot (around half gallon liquid volume) and that's it..

Here's an idea of how it runs/looks.. Space is 3 ft 1in X 3 ft 11in

GEDC0350

Plants have been putting out between 1 and 3 zips depending how they were treated in veg.. majority of the plants in there are stinky chem hybrids and there is no smell outside of the box at all :)

C

Candi

I'll help here. I would go to a 12 gauge for long term and make sure it's on a separate circuit. For a mylar solution reflextics double bubble foil is great . Line your comforter with it. And 2- 400 watt hps or 250's would cover the area and control heat easier. 1k is a lot for the intended space. 1 k is good for 4'x4' .
To get by... flower small plants under the t5 till you have more space. Good luck and grow on!

Thanks, gonna pick up the 12 gauge. Do you think the 1k will be alright? I can't afford another light really cause I spent a good amount on this one since it was a great deal.

I've been cut down to a small space recently and I'm doing what I can to maximize it..

What kind of ac unit do u have? Is it a portable unit or a window unit in the bedroom? Is it 71 in ur closet with the lights on? How many btu?
I'd try and use the ac as ur intake, i can show u pics of how I have a portable unit running that doesn't exhaust from the grow space (no smell this way) if that's the kind of unit u have..

It'd be a good idea to grab a carbon scrubber and use it inline with ur hood and fan as the exhaust..

I have issues with a 1k and not having much headroom due to radient heat, I have a bare bulb and about 3.5 feet from bulb to floor tho so u may not have the issue in ur set up, if u use a light mover u surely won't.. It doesn't seem to effect the buds much but some strains leaves canoe on me..

I'm running seed plants right now, they get just under 30 days from germ before they go in to my flower box and I top the b'jeezus outta them.. They are in party cups till a week before flower too, they get an up pot to a 5in X 5in square pot (around half gallon liquid volume) and that's it..

Here's an idea of how it runs/looks.. Space is 3 ft 1in X 3 ft 11in

View attachment 335072

Plants have been putting out between 1 and 3 zips depending how they were treated in veg.. majority of the plants in there are stinky chem hybrids and there is no smell outside of the box at all :)

I have a window unit @6,000 BTU. My room is about 220 square feet and I'm not sure of the temp in the closet. I do know that a few days ago before I installed my a/c it was definitely in the mid to high 80's and I couldn't put my hand any closer than just over 2 feet. Now with the a/c I could probably get just under a foot under the light with no real heat coming off.

How many plants are you growing to yield 1-3 zips?

S

seebobsled

If you have it now run it. If you can keep it cool great! If not get more space. Watch for light bleaching at worst case .

Haggardass

Haggardass

I have a 4x4 tent with a 450 cfm fan and Dedicated 8k btu ac and my 1000 still creeps the tent up to 79 sometimes. It's all vented outside even, I had no idea how much heat a 1k put out until I turned mine on, that's a lot of heat in that small space with a comforter hanging up, grab some panda film so at least the closet isn't wrapped in kindling. I didn't read all the way through but are you air cooling this light? If so what size fan?

C

Candi

I have a 4x4 tent with a 450 cfm fan and Dedicated 8k btu ac and my 1000 still creeps the tent up to 79 sometimes. It's all vented outside even, I had no idea how much heat a 1k put out until I turned mine on, that's a lot of heat in that small space with a comforter hanging up, grab some panda film so at least the closet isn't wrapped in kindling. I didn't read all the way through but are you air cooling this light? If so what size fan?

I just removed the comforter yesterday and replaced it with panda film. I installed the thermometer/humidity and it's around 80F/40%

I have an exhaust with a 450cfm blower as well as an intake but with no kind of fan (I'd like to try out those computer fans, what do you think?)

Haggardass

Haggardass

Passive intake should be sufficient as long as it's a big enough hole, 80 is a good start just a few more degrees and you're in business is there anyway you can set the ac up in the closet? Or just drop the temp in the room a few degrees and see how that helps.

C

Candi

The a/c is a window mount and I dropped the temperature down a bunch but it doesn't really seem to affect the closet space. I think the problem is I have ventilation running through the light only and not the space itself. Do you think that would make a difference?

Edit: I haven't sealed my room properly yet which I believe the reason to be for the high temperature. Do you know how I might seal off the bottom of my door?

C

Candi

Just realized the jalousies on my window weren't completely shut and when I did this I almost immediately felt a drop in the rooms temperature by a couple degrees. When I looked at my thermometer in the closet it went down to 78 degrees. So tomorrow morning I'm going to pick up some weather stripping and seal the doors in my room. Supposedly the 1/32inch space around a door is like a 2 inch diameter hole right in the middle and I have 2 doors! Will let you know as soon as I do it and what the results are

organicozarks

organicozarks

Firstly, I don't know what your sexuality has to do with growing.

Secondly, I bet your parents will still love you when you come out.

Thirdly, "It's raining men, hallelujah!" :)

Aforce

Aforce

^^ at first i was like lolwut? then i was all rofl ;)

@candi

there 11 plants in my space right now..

try venting ur ac into ur room as ur intake, as long as ur exhaust is strong enough to create neg pressure u will be golden..

i know its not the same type of ac unit but this might help

GEDC0383

if u vent the cold air into the closet like this the exhausted air should still keep ur bed room cool and ur closet frosty :) no smell will leave ur closet like this either if u have a carbon scrubber inline with ur hood at the exhaust.. u will lose stealth tho having it running from the window to the closet..

also running ur lights at night time rather than day should keep u running cooler, powers cheaper here at night time anyways so win win :)

C

Candi

Firstly, I don't know what your sexuality has to do with growing.

Secondly, I bet your parents will still love you when you come out.

Thirdly, "It's raining men, hallelujah!" :)

Thanks for your worldly insight! haha
^^ at first i was like lolwut? then i was all rofl ;)

@candi

there 11 plants in my space right now..

try venting ur ac into ur room as ur intake, as long as ur exhaust is strong enough to create neg pressure u will be golden..

i know its not the same type of ac unit but this might help

View attachment 335639

if u vent the cold air into the closet like this the exhausted air should still keep ur bed room cool and ur closet frosty :) no smell will leave ur closet like this either if u have a carbon scrubber inline with ur hood at the exhaust.. u will lose stealth tho having it running from the window to the closet..

also running ur lights at night time rather than day should keep u running cooler, powers cheaper here at night time anyways so win win :)

That's ingenuity at it's best! Love the plastic bag!! I wish I could do the same thing but adding another a/c won't fit with my circuit board and adjusting mine so that it's like yours wouldn't be an option since the a/c is on the opposite side of the room and my bed is between the closet and my a/c.

I'll check to see what I can do with the exhaust/intake for negative pressure

Latest posts

Top Bottom