Tips & Tricks for Cannabis Photography

• Thread starter outwest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Figured I would start a thread to share advice on how to get the best images from your garden. I'm using a decent point n shoot digital camera with pretty complete manual controls. However, most things can be done with even basic point n shoots, or in post processing software. Most of these tips are for taking photos while under your HPS, but also apply for taking nug shots. Keep in mind I'm just a point n shooter so I may not have all the language correct, but you'll get the idea.

1) Don't take photos of shitty weed.

2) Use a flash. It may seem contrarian when photographing something under bright lights, but using the flash will eliminate shadow and help bring out detail in your flowers.

3) If your camera has white balance setting, set it to tungsten if you are shooting under the HPS. If it can't be set to tungsten, set to auto white balance.

4) Use a tripod. Since you are trying to capture details of the flowers, the more still the camera, the better the chance of capturing detail.

5) Use the timer setting. Some cameras can just be set for a 2 second delay, that way the press of your finger doesn't bump the camera. As in the point 3, the stiller the camera the better.

6) Understand the basic function of a camera. Understand how the aperture, exposure, and ISO factor into your image. You want the subject well lit, but you don't want the photograph washed out.

7) You probably want to lower the ISO if you can. For those of you who recall film cameras. Film came with different ISO settings. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive the film to light exposure, and vice versa. Setting a low ISO will help keep the photo from being washed out.

8) (most importantly) Tinker, tinker, tinker. Get to know your camera, take lots and lots of shots, only keep and share the best. The more photos you take and the more you tinker with your camera's setting the better you will understand how to take that perfect shot.

9) (how could I forget 8?) Get really fucking high before even thinking about taking pictures of your garden.

outwest

p.s. - I welcome tips and tricks from others!

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Here's a cheat sheet for general manual mode camera operations

Tr manual infographic

juniorgrower

juniorgrower

Thanks OutWest, my photos suck!! Always glad to have some good tips to help me improve.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
You hit on a valid point Mr. Kherbs. It's easier to take photos of Cyndi Crawford then Roseanne Barr.

Let's make that rule 8. Don't take photos of schwag.

outwest

If you think on it longer you'll probably come to the conclusion it should be rule #1 :)

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

great tips outwest!! thats a perfect starting (or refining) list for those trying to take nice photos. it really doesnt take much effort to go from a shot that people scroll by, to one they stop and wowow at.

subcool has a good thread called Digitizing the Dank. solid read for anyone trying to up their photo game.

i do it once in awhile when i get bad shots (usually say so) but for anyone that wants to be a little less wow'd by some pictures, open an editor and play around with the sharpness, lighting and white balance on ok nug shots. click..click..boom.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Awesome....I mean think about it how can this picture come out bad?

View attachment 274996

Also not everyone is as old as us so just in case...hey youngsters this is Cindy!

You the man OW

Thanks, Dan. No matter how old we get. Cyndi Crawford will still be hot.

great tips outwest!! thats a perfect starting (or refining) list for those trying to take nice photos. it really doesnt take much effort to go from a shot that people scroll by, to one they stop and wowow at.

subcool has a good thread called Digitizing the Dank. solid read for anyone trying to up their photo game.

i do it once in awhile when i get bad shots (usually say so) but for anyone that wants to be a little less wow'd by some pictures, open an editor and play around with the sharpness, lighting and white balance on ok nug shots. click..click..boom.

Thanks, Mr. Powers. I'll be sure to peruse the article you referenced. You also make another excellent point about post-processing. Meaning you can make a crappy photo a little less crappy with a few mouse clicks using the correct software. Doesn't really take much, iphoto, photoshop elements, the software your camera came with. . . .

If you are a iOS/Android user check out camera+ for post processing.

Thanks to everyone for stopping and adding feedback.

outwest

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Check out Cindy's new photos guys she's still hot Thanks for the knowledge Outwest and DK

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Figured I would start a thread to share advice on how to get the best images from your garden. I'm using a decent point n shoot digital camera with pretty complete manual controls. However, most things can be done with even basic point n shoots, or in post processing software. Most of these tips are for taking photos while under your HPS, but also apply for taking nug shots. Keep in mind I'm just a point n shooter so I may not have all the language correct, but you'll get the idea.

2) Use a flash. It may seem contrarian when photographing something under bright lights, but using the flash will eliminate shadow and help bring out detail in your flowers.

3) If your camera has white balance setting, set it to tungsten if you are shooting under the HPS. If it can't be set to tungsten, set to auto white balance.

4) Use a tripod. Since you are trying to capture details of the flowers, the more still the camera, the better the chance of capturing detail.

5) Use the timer setting. Some cameras can just be set for a 2 second delay, that way the press of your finger doesn't bump the camera. As in the point 3, the stiller the camera the better.

6) Understand the basic function of a camera. Understand how the aperture, exposure, and ISO factor into your image. You want the subject well lit, but you don't want the photograph washed out.

7) You probably want to lower the ISO if you can. For those of you who recall film cameras. Film came with different ISO settings. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive the film to light exposure, and vice versa. Setting a low ISO will help keep the photo from being washed out.

8) (most importantly) Tinker, tinker, tinker. Get to know your camera, take lots and lots of shots, only keep and share the best. The more photos you take and the more you tinker with your camera's setting the better you will understand how to take that perfect shot.

9) (how could I forget 8?) Get really fucking high before even thinking about taking pictures of your garden.

outwest

@OW - yo, i dont have a fancy digital camera, just my smart phone... but i did follow rules 2-3 and messed around with the ISO and this is a pic that i just had to throw at you! thanks for the tips, literally best pics of my bud takin while under my HPS. (looks like a dropped an eyelash on top!)

Pictured below: Alaskan Thunder Fuck @ week 6
2013 02 10 09 18 40 31

ganjaguy66

ganjaguy66

outwest

Thank You outwest for the awesome thread. I have been trying to figure out my Finepix S from Fujifilm. My girl lost the user manual and I am clueless as to what this camera can do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom