Tired of trainwrecking other peoples threads? Well then, come party at the captains! Trainwreck this thread with…….trains? Anything goes here……….

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dankfrank83

dankfrank83

I want to win a lot.

It's difficult to give an exact number because we live in different countries, but I want enough to have a massive grow room and to start calling my boss "Muffintop" on a regular basis without fear of economical consequences.

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

You can only bang your head to some meshuggah. You can't bang your head to all meshuggah.
Just like tool. Some songs you can bang your head. Some songs you have to kinda just listen. That 5 beat, 7 beat, 11 beat stuff.
Not to be a contrarian, this is just where my bread gets buttered lmao.

Tool uses odd time signatures, almost never touches syncopated polyrhythms. But the VAST majority of Meshuggah's stuff is actually 4/4 or 3/4, it's just heavily syncopated and polyrhythmically layered. Rhythmically the only thing they actually have in common, is they dont feel like your usual standard 4/4 metric.

From my particular musicians perspective, you can absolutely bang your head in time with polyrhythms.Its hard to not leap from my chair headbanging whenmeshuggah comes on personally, although to most it prob looks completely absurd. You gotta find that common denominator between the two layered time signatures. It comes with practice lol. Once you have a lot of practice grooving with a polyrhythm, you can feel em out just fine without even counting.

With meshuggah, all i can say is zero in on that hi-hat and that crash, IGNORE the kick and snare as hard as that may be to begin with, youll find your sea legs real fast then and itll become second nature to feel the main groove of a syncopated passage. The cymbals with them tend to be counting the main 4/4 time signature, while the kick snare patterns are following the guitar and bass in a separate time signature over top of it usually. As music fans, its really hard to not zero in on that guitar riff and how it relates to the kick/snare, but with meshuggah, you actually cant do that lol.

Sometimes with Meshuggah a song will feel a million miles an hour in the weirdest time signature imaginable, but in reality its 4/4 at 55bpm. Seriously lol. Rational Gaze, the track i linked is 3/4 at like 50bpm. The same time signature and roughly same BPM a Waltz (yup, the dance) would be in.

You can even lay a polyrhythm out with two 4/4 time signatures if you want so long as both metrics are a different tempo, so long as theres a common turn around point in the passage itll work, and you can feel the groove without having to count at all. It does take a lot of practice, but theres not nearly as much counting or math as you would expect. At that level of musicianship, theres actually NO counting or math going on at all. Most will use various muscle flexes and movement to keep the groove in time so they dont have to count, and this is why Meshuggah's guitar players seem so spastic and jerky while largely just standing in one place.

/end ramble lmao

Last edited:
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Heck we need a sticky

How many times do we ask;
How close is the light , what wattage is it & is it dimmed or words to that effect

I have to close down after this grow for government lead Electric tests and hard wired smoke alarms after that I think I should fry a plant and post what happened and how to advoid it

It’s these stupid manufacturers light ranges they add to thier manuals
Even mine said 12” like they all seem to do we should hound them to correct the information imo

Then again what would I do all day 🤣

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Anyone ever grow some Memory Loss OG?

The terp profile is spectacular 🤌.

Nice sour/sweet hazey nose, with a little bit of mystery fruit (maybe an apple pie with a healthy pinch of spice?)

The flavor is earthy, with a little bit of pink candy, and has the funk.

The lineage is Amnesia Haze x Face Off OG... i'm a fan, to say the least, anyone buys seeds from a place you'd recommend?

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

Anyone ever grow some Memory Loss OG?

The terp profile is spectacular 🤌.

Nice sour/sweet hazey nose, with a little bit of mystery fruit (maybe an apple pie with a healthy pinch of spice?)

The flavor is earthy, with a little bit of pink candy, and has the funk.

The lineage is Amnesia Haze x Face Off OG... i'm a fan, to say the least, anyone buys seeds from a place you'd recommend?
View attachment 2157250
North Atlantic Seed Company has been my favorite seed supplier for a couple years now.

Z

Zill

Well that was an easy round, no drinks, but also no tips.

Im almost totally done with a strat i hand built. Mostly with hand tools aside from routing the cavities, neck pocket, and shaping the headstock.

Body is Sapele mahogany, flamed and a little bit of curl both. Thats not a flamed maple top/cap, it's a flamed Sapele body. Neck is kiln fired flamed maple (ill probably never work with this stuff again, its like working bubinga or something, its very hard). Fretboard is pau ferro from stew mac. Finish is boiled linseed underneath tru oil on the body/headstock face. Straight boiled Linseed on the neck.

Mainly an occasional hobbyist woodworker, played around with tables and some furniture growing up when i had acces to my dads good equipment. Went in to this expecting to fail miserably. But honestly, it's the best damn guitar ive ever had. The frets pressed so perfectly i didnt even have to level and crown, just polish. flawless victory so far. Aside from the fact i drilled for two string trees on the headstock before checking to find that i had cut the nut so well, it only needed one 😑

Didnt make the pickguard its just some job from amazon.

Coincidentally, what i hate more then anything in woodworking, is making a somple box or a speaker cabinet. I do not now, and have never owned a table or band saw lmfao, just used to use my dad's. Im a circular saw/jigsaw cheapskate kinda guy. I cut the body from a blank with a jig saw and chisel, lots of blisters hand sanding. Shaped the headstock with a jigsaw.

Sorry for pic quality, currently have a pretty dog doo phone. But yea, i am IMMENSELY proud of this. It makes me seem a lot better at wood working then i take myself to actually be

Beautiful guitar! The wood grain is amazing.

Check out these speakers I made last year. They sound great. I made the cabinets from Ash. We had an enormous ash tree that succumbed to that ash borer. The grain was something I wanted to preserve and use on the front baffle board.

Latest posts

Top Bottom