tissue culture dryed buds?

• Thread starter 420bliss
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420bliss

420bliss

hey farmers, been wondering this for a lil while now, not that i have the space/equipment to do it, would it be possible to tissue culture dryed material or does it have to be living part of the plant?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm fairly certain it has to be living.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You know what I would like? Remember the thing on Star Trek that people got their food and stuff out of? Damn if I can remember what it was called... The Simulator? Anyway, I'd never grow again if I had my own Simulator. As long as it's not operated by the HAL OS, of course.

420bliss

420bliss

it does have to be viable tissue, IE alive.

damn that suck. it would be so cool to be able to grow pretty much any dank bud you want, just save a lil piece. maybe one day they will find a way to

Hermitian

Hermitian

hey farmers, been wondering this for a lil while now, not that i have the space/equipment to do it, would it be possible to tissue culture dryed material or does it have to be living part of the plant?

Plant tissue culture is a cloning technique from living plant cells. For most plants -- Cannabis included, specific cells called "meristem" are needed. These typically occur at growth tips of the plant or in callous material at stem joints. From a practical standpoint, the easiest and most productive location to obtain meristem cells is from tips of actively growing roots or rhizomes. For more information see this article on Wikipedia: Meristematic.

Now for the more general scenario you have raised of cloning from dried material, genetic synthesis would be required. We (humans) do not have techniques for this and probably will not for decades or centuries. It is far more advanced than genetic modification techniques (GMO) currently used to produce hybrid organisms.

420bliss

420bliss

Plant tissue culture is a cloning technique from living plant cells. For most plants -- Cannabis included, specific cells called "meristem" are needed. These typically occur at growth tips of the plant or in callous material at stem joints. From a practical standpoint, the easiest and most productive location to obtain meristem cells is from tips of actively growing roots or rhizomes. For more information see this article on Wikipedia: Meristematic.

Now for the more general scenario you have raised of cloning from dried material, genetic synthesis would be required. We (humans) do not have techniques for this and probably will not for decades or centuries. It is far more advanced than genetic modification techniques (GMO) currently used to produce hybrid organisms.

thank you for taking the time to answer my question , you seem like a very knowledgeable person, nice to have someone with actual agricultural experience

ttystikk

ttystikk

You know what I would like? Remember the thing on Star Trek that people got their food and stuff out of? Damn if I can remember what it was called... The Simulator? Anyway, I'd never grow again if I had my own Simulator. As long as it's not operated by the HAL OS, of course.

That would be the 'replicator', and while it might be fine to use to produce a cup of "tea, Earl Grey, Hot!", I am fairly certain we wouldn't want it replicating our favorite buds... Look at what they did to poor innocent booze, turning it into 'synthohol'; according to Guinan (Whoopi Golberg's character) the bartender in Ten Forward, while it will give you a mild euphoria as soon as duty calls, you become instantly sober! Since when is THAT progress?!

Okay, now I've done it- exposed myself as a Trekkie AND a total nerd...

Y

Ythor

Done tissue culture for 20+ years; the material needs to be alive. It can also be frozen (usually preserved with DMSO to prevent ice crystals from forming), but making live stuff from dried, dead tissue is a huge leap beyond anything we have today.

420bliss

420bliss

Done tissue culture for 20+ years; the material needs to be alive. It can also be frozen (usually preserved with DMSO to prevent ice crystals from forming), but making live stuff from dried, dead tissue is a huge leap beyond anything we have today.

ya i guess it was just a stoner thought. have you ever tissue cultured cannabis?

Y

Ythor

ya i guess it was just a stoner thought. have you ever tissue cultured cannabis?

Some day the technology will be there to "resurrect" dried plant matter- or, at least, with considerable difficulty, it will be possible to bring back dried, dead plant matter under some conditions.

As for TC'ing cannabis- sure. It just doesn't offer any advantages for the vast majority of growers; it takes a very large demand in terms of number of plants for it to become an economically feasible proposition. You're talking hundreds or thousands of plants before it becomes competitive with simple vegetative techniques. Plus, the entire process is about as non-organic as you can get, and some people have issues with that.

There's also a lot of nonsense out there about being able to rejuvenate "tired" plants, or clearing viruses, etc. using tissue culture, none of which seems to have any basis in fact. (Individual plants can be cleared of viruses, but just "washing" through tissue culture is insufficient; in fact, TC can be used to propagate viruses in the most spectacular fashion, and unless the source material is properly indexed- and the plants produced in TC re-indexed when "finished" to assure they're clean- TC is nothing more than a very expensive vector. Very few people have the skills set, determination, and tools to eliminate viruses from infected plants.)

TC may offer the advantage of cryogenic storage; undifferentiated material can be DMSO'd and frozen, but that's not without problems, either.

Simply put, the legal constraints on the number of plants that may be maintained in culture exceed the logistical boundaries in terms of what can be done. Ideally, instead of trading cuttings in the fashion that plants are often made today, it would be possible to purchase a 25mm tube with a healthy, rooted cutting that is in axenic culture- free of pests and pathogens, indexed for viruses, and produced in a lab setting where the identity of the parent stock was tracked cradle-to-grave.

While I'm at it, I'd like some world peace with a serving of feeding all the starving children, please. And the extermination of the Guinea worm. Hey, so long as I'm dreaming, right?

G

glassking420

good shit bro...couldnt have said it better myself

Top Bottom