tissue culture question!

• Thread starter digdugdank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

Dig, if you want to get serious about this I'd suggest a book called plants from test tubes. There is good guidance on media prep and stuff, but not much on sterile work. I'm sure youtube has some videos on still air boxes for growing mushrooms to help get you started and understand the technical on sterile work.

monkeymun

monkeymun

Having played with agar at home, I can say that it's pretty simple to produce aseptic conditions for culture work. A clean room is so far from necessary it's laughable. Once you've made your plates up, triple wrap them so that they don't dry out and stick the in a bag in the fridge. They will last a long time that way, but eventually will dry out. If in jar, they should last forever, as technically, they shouldn't even be able to dry out.

squiggly

squiggly

One slight correction.

A laminar flow hood should be enough to ward off contamination in tissue culture if you are using proper technique. Its just that most people aren't anal enough for this.

Of course you still want to be in a room with the cleanest air possible--but a decent laminar hood is enough to get the job done for fungal and bacterial cultures (which are much more prone to contamination).

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
So much reading! :o the kit I got contains Ms media 4.43 grams per pack, agargellan (no description) ,BA hormone 0.1mg/ml, nna hormone 1ml, and ppm preservative 1ml. It's nice getting my feet wet with this kit, but I will eventually want to mix my own! You guys are all a great help with information, thank you all! :) the explants I took are showing signs of growth, and the stems are thickening! So cool. I'm gonna run to the book store this week and pick up more literature! I included a picture of the kit manual! Thanks, digdug!
IMG 20130112 171508 0

IMG 20130112 171508 0
IMG 20130112 171508 0
rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

Does phytotech make that kit? Or does someone just box that shiz up and blam!

sounds like a rooting media. BA is a cytokinin which influences shoot production. NAA is an auxin which influences root production. The greater amount of NAA should influence roots. Got any picks of your cultures?

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
Not sure what brand! I took some pictures, kinda hard to see, but you can see what's going on inside! I'm down to 7 clean jars, I'm gonna need to clean the explants better for sure next time! Hope you like the pictures! Thanks digdug! IMG 20130113 151806 0 IMG 20130113 151830 0

IMG 20130113 151830 0
IMG 20130113 151711 0
IMG 20130113 151724 0
IMG 20130113 151737 0
rootsnshoots

rootsnshoots

Yo dude! Sorry I've been out, I had to go to the midwest for a funeral. What's the stats on your jars?

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
Glad your back roots, :)! I have left jars alone, all 7 of my clean jars are doing well! The tips are growing just like very small clones! The pieces of stem with nodes but no growth are not growing, but not contaminated! I think these tubes I used let steam in on the sterilization process, and diluted my mix. I'm gonna use baby food jars next! I have to move this month!! (Stupid busy)!! Thanks for reading, I will keep posting, thanks digdug!

Top Bottom