Tnelz thread about whatever!

• Thread starter Tnelz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toaster79

Toaster79

Exactly. Except that I made a mistake and written 3x instead of 4xCOB.

If you have enough overhead than I would choose CXB over XM-L2. The thing is you have 50W with a single CXB and you need to spread that ammount of light with raising your lights say 1ft where with XM-L2 you have 5W so you don't have to raise them so high for the same spread and coverage. Also with many small light sources the spread is way more even.

20150403 075211

This plant for example was grown under 3 XM-L2s ran at 1400mA, which makes about 13W and didn't get burnt or bleached. That top is about an inch away from LEDs.

Basically its all simple math once you get to know what numbers to put in the equation.

About the build and cooling. I'm planning to build a 200W unit with 4xCXB2540 and the aforementioned driver for my 1x1m tent. For cooling ill be using CPU heatsinks. The ones I've got my eyes on are Arctic Freezer 64 LP

2015 06 11 213703

You can use any other type of heatsink as long as it's able to cool your light sources. Why I choose this one over any other one? You have ready made mounting holes to mount it on the construction, you have copper base and you get two fans. The Idea is to keep your LEDs at the lowest possible temperature, so you need to pick materials with highest thermal conductivity. But the copper core heatsink is not enough. You need to have the best possivle contact between your LED and heat sink. So let's use thermal paste like Arctic Silver or similar product. Good enogh I'd say. The chinos are using silicone based products which are crap so anything better than that should do. Well not where I'm comming from ;) I say solder those fuckers on the heatsink :D (I have issues, just so you know) But yeah, my current setup is built with thermal glue and is doing just fine so don't go breaking your neck over that.

You can also use large cooling ribs for passive cooling so your setup will be silent and less power consumptive. If let's say using XM-L2 s you can use extruded aluminum heatsinks 2" wide and 1" high to bring down the costs. Pretty much the BML Spydr architecture.

There are manny ways to skin a cat.

Hope I didn't get you even more confused than before :D

Let it shine!

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

Well shit... Something is missing from the picture over here.....
The quickest way to ruin your plans is to announce your intentions to the gods...

20150611 123913
20150611 124011
20150611 124001
20150611 123946

....there will be no Blue Moon Rocks crosses... they will now be rare dankness Blue Ox crosses...
the Glue will now be hit with Chemdog D and NorCal Catpiss will now be hit with Moontang...

I continue to adapt and overcome....

SourDank

SourDank

Well shit... Something is missing from the picture over here.....
The quickest way to ruin your plans is to announce your intentions to the gods...

View attachment 515506 View attachment 515509 View attachment 515508 View attachment 515507

....there will be no Blue Moon Rocks crosses... they will now be rare dankness Blue Ox crosses...
the Glue will now be hit with Chemdog D and NorCal Catpiss will now be hit with Moontang...

I continue to adapt and overcome....
What happened to the BMR dude??

Never mind, I see he's shooting blanks. That sucks brother

Tnelz

Tnelz

Yeah that's what I thought homie. Yeah she's getting that doughy smell.
I used Terpinator on this garden and my other with adub killer and octogon kush in it. These garden are reeking 10xs more than they ever have. That shit really enhances the terp. profile of the plant. I gotta quit using it, its a big security risk. That shit works tho!
That Face Off really surprised me! I wasnt expecting that plant to be my keeper. The leaves were extremely crinkled in veg. She's a beaut now tho!

Not too
Been saying how good terminator works for how long now? Looking amazing bro and I'm glad u gave the product props. It's the truth. Saw tests from a few people at the hydro store using terp and not. The terp plants tested slightly lower in thc but off the charts in the terrine category. Respect.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I realize I say this every so often but feel compelled to say it today. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread. Its really gone places I haven't expected and I love it. New growers and ogs alike . Just saying thanks to all of y'all. Respect and good vibes to everyone.

Pimp T

Pimp T

Platinum LED p300 has blown um the fuck up. Im a believer in led now well at least in veg.

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

@Toaster79 Nice! That heatsink looks pretty awesome! I checked out a review of it and it said when they we're testing it that the heat sinking surface was concave in areas, making it unsatisfactory for it's heatsinking fuction until they milled it down to make it flatter.

here's the review I was checkin out--

Is this a typical problem that you've heard of from others with this setup? Would I be better off getting the Arctic cooling 64 Pro?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

It only has 1 fan but it rated much higher in the thermal test results on the site I was looking at.

What do you think about these heatsinks? I don't mind spending a little more time and money to get the job done clean and efficiently.

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

Been surfing around for COBs and the closest I've been able to find to 5000k is:
CXB2540-0000-000N0HW230G

looks like it's not perfectly in the color range I was looking for but its pretty close- the CRI is 80 on this'n. This would still work for veg right? @Toaster79 Maybe I'm not finding the right sites to source these things but I was trying to stay with the reputable firms.

Top Bottom