To defoliate, or not to, this is the question...

• Thread starter tonevangel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tonevangel

tonevangel

Hi guys!
And Merry Christmass! :)

This is my second grow and I'm kind of happy with the results, especially comparing it to my first grow. :D
Currently I'm growing Auto Bubblegum, which is a short strain - about 50cm. tall at max.
It's in 3 gallon fabric pot, it's 20cm. long and it's 24 days old.
The plant is healthy and really thick, but the problem is, that it's really bushy and some of my fan leaves cover my lower bud sites.
I'm not really sure if it's a good idea to defoliate some of the fan leaves, or to leave it like that and do only lst?

Thank you very much! :))

Madmax

Madmax

Your lateral branches will grow up and out past those fan leaves..maybe some guys can help to get your plant in better shape..those leaves should b standing up..

chemistry

chemistry

Can your raise your lights, and a small occy fan to blow air around your space. And don't let your plant sit in a wet dish. Nice colour, so your not far off getting sorted.

quirk

quirk

Merry Christmas to you. Good looking plant.

As far as defoliation, It's grower preference. I grow autos exclusively and always start training by removing unproductive growth under 4th node and tying down to break apical dominance. Not a suggestion, rather a productive method for my grows. It negates popcorn buds, provides room to train, plenty of air circulation and ease of watering. Good luck

IMG 20201014 095734516 HDR
IMG 20201014 095917876 HDR
IMG 20201014 101112564 HDR
DSCN3044 2
DSCN3059 3
tonevangel

tonevangel

At 24 days old it doesn't matter if bud sites are covered up, it's still about roots and green stuff trying to get as big and strong as possible

Lesson learned from my first grow - use proper soil (in this case seedlings soil mixed with a lot of perlite) and give them enough phosphorus at the beginning. :)

Your lateral branches will grow up and out past those fan leaves..maybe some guys can help to get your plant in better shape..those leaves should b standing up..

Yesterday I tried to rearrange them, the way the lateral branches stay on top of the interior leaves, but it's hard when it's so bushy. :D

overwatered can make them look droopy like that

Actually it was a bit dry, but I recorded the video just before the lights go off, maybe the plant was resting? During my first grow I've read a lot of things and I was so scared not to overwater them and overfeed them, that literally underwatered & underfed them. xD (that's why they were so small)

Can your raise your lights, and a small occy fan to blow air around your space. And don't let your plant sit in a wet dish. Nice colour, so your not far off getting sorted.

I use small oscillating fan just for the wind, but I've larger inline fan mounted on top side of the closet moving air from the bottom of the closet.

Merry Christmas to you. Good looking plant.

As far as defoliation, It's grower preference. I grow autos exclusively and always start training by removing unproductive growth under 4th node and tying down to break apical dominance. Not a suggestion, rather a productive method for my grows. It negates popcorn buds, provides room to train, plenty of air circulation and ease of watering. Good luck

Really nice looking plant! :))

That's why I'm wondering if it's a good idea to cut the first lateral branches, because they're really small? The rest of them soon are going to be same level as the top.

Thanks a lot guys! :)))

This video is from today. I've watered my plant with filtered tap water: ph ~ 6, NPK - 18-18-18 (Magnesium, Sulfur, trace minerals) + Calcium. The plant looks happy to me. :)

Madmax

Madmax

I agree to cut the first ones.ive actually done so to my girls.they were no bigger than a bees dick .what you can do with them is let them grow and use them as cuttings if you like.

edit wtf have i done lol to have it underlined

tonevangel

tonevangel

Hi guys! :)
A little update on my plant.
It gets bigger by the day haha, but the problem is it becomes too bushy.
Do you think that I can defoliate it strategically without any major stress?
Thanks again! :))

P.S.: Day 30 still feeding it with veg nutrients: 18-18-18 (and mag, cal, sulf, trace elements), but maybe I can switch to bloom nutes 3-11-38 soon.

tonevangel

tonevangel

Hi guys!
Happy 2021 New Year!
Let's hope it's going to be better! :D :)

Just a quick update of my flower. I'm really happy with her. And I think it's going to finish on time, but will see. Currently day 37.
I think soon I've to defoliate it a bit, just to expose the bud sites.

tonevangel

tonevangel

Just a quick update:
Day - 52
Nutrients - NPK-Mg-Ca-S = 3-11-38-4-15-28, respectively per liter of water: N - 30mg, P2O5 - 110mg, K2O - 380mg, MgO - 40mg, CaĐž - 150mg, SĐž3 - 280mg. I think it's going to be ready for harvest in about 3 weeks. That's why I try to boost it and help it ripen better. Soon I will check the trichomes.
Overall I think my plant is healthy, maybe a little Ca deficiency and a bit nutrient toxicity, but I'm not quite sure anyway. :D

IMG 6032
IMG 6019
IMG 6023
IMG 6038

tonevangel

tonevangel

Day 61 (nine days left according to the breeder)
The more and more the plant goes into late flower I got more and more confused. :D But as a guy once said: "For every plant harvested too late a hundred if not thousand plants have been harvested too early." Sooo, I know patience is the key!
Despite that when I checked the trichomes most of them looked cloudy (it's not really easy to see them through Carson MicroBrite Plus) and here and there amber, so soon it's harvest time! haha
• I think my plant need a week or two more. What do you think?
• And maybe I should stop feeding it PK booster from now on?
• Btw is there any point of feeding it with molasses if it's in non organic soil and I fed it with synthetic fertilizers?
THANKS AGAIN GUYS! YOU'RE NICE, HELPING AND POLITE! :)))

P.S. I've problem with leaves eating 'pests'... :D
IMG 6114

tonevangel

tonevangel

Last update.
Day 72 - tomorrow is harvest time. Woohoo! :D
THANKS AGAIN GUYS! :))

Latest posts

Top Bottom