To hot or to Cold

• Thread starter foreverherb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

foreverherb

Ok now winter is coming we're having trouble keeping temperature above 18c/64F in the dark period. Somone I work with has decided its best to turn aircon off and heat the rooms up an hour before the dark period. However hes heating them up to about 34c/93F, I think thats bad.

Which is worse, having a room thats around 13c/55F during the night or having the room 34/93F for an hour before night.

I think it would be better just letting them suffer the cold than make them suffer an hour of heat, whats your opinions?

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
A 29F temp swing is a really bad idea IMHO. Temp variance between night and day should be closer to 10 or less for optimal plant performance.

jj

D.I.Y

D.I.Y

Cold night might bring the colours out,i use a little fan heater with a built in thermastat so that kicks in if it gets too cold

P

ProGroWannabe

^...great advice right there. Also, JJ is right on with keeping the temp swing as tight as possible.

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

Having the same issue. Hung panda plastic to split basement in halves and put an electric heater in the half my tents are in to keep temps above 61. When lights are on and heater is not needed as much thermostat shuts it down. Seems to be working so far. Only downside is more :cash on the electric bill.

U

USMCtanker

im lucky to have a wall heater that kicks in if temp gets to low

B

bonbonbondia

My grow box is in my garage and it has started to get cold in there at night. Instead of putting a space heater in there; I opted for the solution of running the lights during the night hours instead of during the daytime. It worked out last year, hopefully it does the same this year.

F

FastForward

Cold night might bring the colours out,i use a little fan heater with a built in thermastat so that kicks in if it gets too cold

I use a 2kW oil heater - cost about 70 quid, but it's got a digital thermostat built in, so I set it for 18c and it only comes on when necessary to maintain that level. Better yet, oil filled radiators retain heat after the heating element has turned off...so they're more economical to run through the winter than convection fan heaters...

A

ace70568

I would'nt want to use anything that kick's out vapor's
while flowering cause it seem's like it might effect the final product,not for sure tho.

Dont they have portable air conditioner's that also is a heater?

budboy299

budboy299

Always gotta remember too that in the northern hemisphere....most growers wait till right before a frost to chop. During that time the daytime temps are not that high either and the night times get down to about 40F or lower. Lower temps certain may slow the growth a little but surely won't hurt the plant. In fact it seems alot of times the cold helps bring out the trichromes
same thing can be applied to cold temps indoors

M

mrdjk5

try sumat like this maybe good for your room
also b&g do a small wall mountable heater thats ukp 9.99
that works fine safe to no smells or extreme heat

B

bon

Premium Member
Supporter
i don't think the cold is that bad... Even seen a guy on a dutch forum growing at 15°c during light on and 8°c during lights off, and he had great results...
it's all in what they are used to, if u start from seed with low temps, they can probably handle the cold better later...

I'm growing in a barn, temps get to -10°c. So i've build a closet around my homebox, in this closet there's a oil filled electrical heater, and i never put it above 750KW.

cheers

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Isnt it the average temperature we need to worry about, im in an out buiding and temps are seriously low, like FF said i use a oil filled electric radiator does a great job but temps are still around 19c during the day and 6 at night which is way to low but nothing i can do really... plants have slows down a bit in veg, hoping Spring temperatures will come round for when i flower, got to say guys, ex cheese is one forgiving plant.

R

RansacktheElder

My temp swings are a bit above normal as my box is in my basement/garage. I have an oil heater blazing to keep it manageable. I really hate the bill though. I also thought it out and timed my cycle for the lights to be on at night. The stems have purpled up, especially around the perimeter of the grow area, but so far so good. Looking forward to summer time though.

R

RansacktheElder

Temp.

Them temps be just fine bro! trust me i dont know what im doing! after a week in that enviroment the plants get themselfs acclimatised to it! it will help bring out some coloration of the buds, at the same time making it longer to heat the room when lights do come on!

if it bothers you to much all you need is a 4 " extractor that brings air from your living space into the room at night! maybe from a warm bedroom?

You've just put my mind at serious ease. Thanks!:party0023:

My lights off temp is 64 and lights on it's 78.

Latest posts

Top Bottom