To Lec/cmh Or Not To Lec/cmh That Is The Question!

• Thread starter FireBeard77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FireBeard77

FireBeard77

This will be a thread about new lighting options.
I have everything else dialed in as far as grow setup,methods,strains etc.
Im well versed in hps/mh/cfls.As with us all,we are always looking to improve upon things.
So as I've been searching for something to replace hps/mh'Not that there's anything wrong with hps/mh'. I've run into as it seems a marketing web of sales pitch after sales pitch. As it seems the only reviews i can seem to find are iffy and seem to be from the companies and or the guys pushing their gear for profit.
So I guess my first question is a simple one.
1.Does anyone know either from hands on experience and or had a friends grow that you were able to see any light that is better compared to a 1k hps for flowering?What would I deem better?
Yield
Potency
Less heat
Less power consumption
Quicker finishing without giving up any of the above.
Am I just wasting my time here going down this road?Should I just stick to what i know works?
With all of that said....I'd like to talk about lec's/cmh.The reason is because I first started out down the LED road only to find mixed reviews and the 2 companies I seen that seem to have any truth to them were black dog and spyder.Most of the vids and info I could find seemed again to ve from either the company and or sellers of those products with acouple independent grows that never seemed to give definitive answers.
So back to lecs most of what i read on them from specs say great veg great as side lighting or scrog setups.Yet people say they(630s) are great from veg to finish with good as or better results than 1k hps.
So being that I've never ran lecs I'd like to lay out my plan of action and get some feedback positive and negative if any.
I've ran this by a shop I buy from and their concern was heat and distance from canopy.
I'd like to run 2 nanolux 630s side by side with 3100k and 4200k bulbs in each unit. In a 5x5x8 gorilla tent.here seems to be where it gets murky.Ive read that the 630s put off about half the heat of a 1k.I don't know if that's true or not.If so i dont see all the fuss.i have no problem running a 10k btu ac if needed.but I'm told that the heat isn't the only factor,that light intensity and distance are going to be an issue as some have reported burning and crispy tips with lights lower than 12ft or so.Can anyone clear this issue up?Is it true that the lec's spectrum is so much so that they are too strong for plants and absolutely needs to be 4 to 5ft from the top of the canopy?
If 2 630s in a 5x5x8 tent is too much will 1 be ok and if so will the 1 630 be close,equal or greater than a 1k hps for yeild?
Sorry if this topic has been beat to death.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I have never grown with hps or mh but there are tons of people that swear by full spectrum led lights for taste potency and yield. There are side by side comparisons somewhere, I will post a link if I see it.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

1x cmh in a 4x8 tent to veg, usually I would use two but you can get by with one.

2x cmh in a 4x8 to flower, this was a pollenation run so I didn't prune/trellis like I would for production, and I wasn't going for a yield at all just happy plants. 12 in from canopy with no burn. I'd do 18-24" from canopy optimally.

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

I love the Sun Systems 630 LEC's. Here are my girls 10 days into flower. I've had zero issues with burn or heat.
Nice.I went and bought the ns500s 2 in a 5x5x8 tent.I bought the 240v with step down transformers to split the current to 120v.Im liking them alot so far.Im alil confused at what people have told me about heat.I can put my hand within 2 inches from the bulb and leave it there no problem.About as much or alil less than a t5 in terms of heat I'd say.
In running higgs boson x flight.

BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond

Thanks FireBeard77. This has been an experimental garden anyways. Now that we see initial results. I got 30+ years playing with the mj plants. I'm by no means or no way an expert. I get lucky a lot though. The new lights are impressive with heat. I can Easly Maintain 78-79 all day. 42% RH. I have fully automated the rooms environmental controls. TDS now holds 800PPM an CO2 at 1100-1200PPM. I nute custom blends. Air flow, and currents are automated. Smart pots, and have been only transplanted 2 times. Clone cup to red solo and solo to 5 gal. Veg 5 weeks, 24 dark cycle before coming back up on 12/12 from 18/6. I'm totally organic both nutes and soil.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Black Dog and SPYDR are far from credible. Quality LEDs include; Amare Technologies, Apache Tech, PLC. I am vegging now using Transcend Lighting's nifty hot5 tubes @ 30w (see my threads for it and Amare SE 220). And for the DIYers Growmau5 has assembled a kit being sold by Cutter

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

Thanks FireBeard77. This has been an experimental garden anyways. Now that we see initial results. I got 30+ years playing with the mj plants. I'm by no means or no way an expert. I get lucky a lot though. The new lights are impressive with heat. I can Easly Maintain 78-79 all day. 42% RH. I have fully automated the rooms environmental controls. TDS now holds 800PPM an CO2 at 1100-1200PPM. I nute custom blends. Air flow, and currents are automated. Smart pots, and have been only transplanted 2 times. Clone cup to red solo and solo to 5 gal. Veg 5 weeks, 24 dark cycle before coming back up on 12/12 from 18/6. I'm totally organic both nutes and soil.
I went and bought the gorilla tent for the extra height because of what's been said about the light intensity of the lecs just to be safe.Ive ran grow labs and secret jardins for years.Well I have to say thus far Im pretty disappointed with this tent.
Pros,thicker walls,height.
Cons Well Me personally think the design is flawed.Most that buy tents do so because they don't have a grow room and or they want to run multiple rooms out of a bedroom etc.So space is an issue.Well for starters there is only 1 zip door in the back.If you want to access the sides you have to unzip the whole thing down the sides and to the back top and bottom.
Space is an issue again and hard to deal with having to unzip the whole tent to for side access.Which brings me to the biggest con So far,The zippers.When I unpacked the tent I seen the zippers and thought wow they look very nice and thick and well made.Not so much it seems.They snag every few inches all the time.And the bottom zipper seems defective pretty bad because light shines right through it.Being that the whole tent is 1 big zipper fest it's a big problem.On to light leaks.Its pretty bad compared to other tents it seems.Besides the front bottom zipper all the zippers leak light just not as bad as that front bottom one. light leaks out of almost every seam.What a bummer I want to love this tent not loathe it.The ports weren't well thought out either.the one on the side for the hood is good.But the ones at the top are usless when using the extension to 7"11.Being most bedrooms are 8ft its tight So roof vents are a no go.
Im not biased to any tent I like what works period.Im just giving an honest review here.
20160426 212611
20160426 212611

keiksweat

keiksweat

I'm seriously considering getting a 315cmh ,to go in the centre of my tent,between two led panels.listening to loads of peeps saying these cmh are no good to flower with.but I'm seeing more and more people killing it.with half the watts and heat.gotta be a winner in my book.maxibrite are bringing a new model out.fixed ballast and reflector,gavita style.cheap too.

keiksweat

keiksweat

My cheap tent rocks, very little light leaks, bought a more expensive one with heavier poles and it leaks light like a cheese cloth.

I have no idea if these are good prices for cmh?
http://www.horticulturesource.com/g...d-etc--c39/315w-cmh-pgz18-cdm-t12-lamps-s132/
I always heard all the hype about gorrilla tents being bigger,and twice as thick.....first thought..why that thick..my tent is thin,and can get real hot,real fast.that must be like a pressure cooker in summer.just my observation.

pug1010

pug1010

Thanks for the grow tent comments FireBeard and sorry it's not up to scratch. I totally understand the appeal, as I have had height envy for the taller gorilla tents for a while.

You saved me going down that track. I will have to look at mainlining to keep things a bit lower and go with a SJ again. I hope you can work with the limitations and get it working to fit your needs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom