To Lec/cmh Or Not To Lec/cmh That Is The Question!

• Thread starter FireBeard77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stumpy420

Stumpy420

My Dr 90 has been working well for me. Only a 3x3x6 but I got 5 plants in there very bush lookin lol.

pug1010

pug1010

Regarding the talked about heat issue … I am starting to get the impression that some 12ov/240v ballasts run a lot hotter on 120v. If run on 240v with a step up transformer they seem to run cooler.

What step up transformer are you using FireBeard and do you notice any heat or noise coming from the transformer?

Thanks

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

While cmh is a nice light, quality LEDs are more efficient in that 100% of their light hits the canopy. Reflected light has nowhere near the intensity, and hoods need to be replaced annually

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

Thanks for the grow tent comments FireBeard and sorry it's not up to scratch. I totally understand the appeal, as I have had height envy for the taller gorilla tents for a while.

You saved me going down that track. I will have to look at mainlining to keep things a bit lower and go with a SJ again. I hope you can work with the limitations and get it working to fit your needs.
Thanks for the comment.Ive been talking to one of the techs at gorilla for a few days now.He is trying to tell me that the light leaks aren't a big deal and that the ambient light of the room shouldnt make it through the holes in the tent and zippers and won't affect my grow at all.I understand the moon light argument and even agree with it to some degree. But im still not all that comfortable with any kinds of light leaks. I mean for a grow tent that claims to be top Dog one would think that they would seem to care abit more about such matters. We are frigging grows around here and we care about such issues lol.

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

While cmh is a nice light, quality LEDs are more efficient in that 100% of their light hits the canopy. Reflected light has nowhere near the intensity, and hoods need to be replaced annually
The problem I've ran into with leds is that everyone says something diffrent about them. The vids and reviews mostly seem to come from the makers of said units.So it just comes off as a pretty shady venture.Not saying they don't work,just alot of mixed reviews out there.
On a side note during my search for new light,most of the shops in denver told me leds were a joke and thats why they didnt carry them.
I asked why they said that and what actual experience they had with em.They said hands on exp and the leds did grow things just lacked density and such.So idk lol

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

The problem I've ran into with leds is that everyone says something diffrent about them. The vids and reviews mostly seem to come from the makers of said units.So it just comes off as a pretty shady venture.Not saying they don't work,just alot of mixed reviews out there.
On a side note during my search for new light,most of the shops in denver told me leds were a joke and thats why they didnt carry them.
I asked why they said that and what actual experience they had with em.They said hands on exp and the leds did grow things just lacked density and such.So idk lol
Also, I'd probably try em out if they didnt cost so much.Also if I knew which brand or unit worked the best.

BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond

So far my ladies seem to like the 630's just fine. Maintaining 16-20" from the canopy. Seems to be the sweet spot for me. 26 days into flower. I like what I'm seeing from the LEC's.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Yes, the lies (all plants need is chloro a & B, and green is not needed), backed by pseudo-science is overwhelming, but when we stop to think that through, it smells.

After getting hosed buying a b/r led ufo 5 years ago, I decided to role up my sleeves, and learn the truth. What we do know is hps/mh have been used successfully for decades. Their main problems being heat and incomplete spectrums. So why not start with white but tweak the missing spectrums? White diodes were not readily available, and quite expensive, but red and blue diodes were abundant. enter the pseudo-science carpetbaggers.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that plants prefer a full PAR spectrum as provided by white light. Now, many are using various white CoBs solo and getting excellent results, but they can be further enhanced with a few key separate 450 blue and ~ 620 reds. Many tout 660 red as critical, but science proves otherwise. ~ 620 provides > 90% of what 660 does, but is much more efficient= longer life

Why stores call them shit? well, most are shit, but, virtually all quality led manufacturers do not have retail margins

hth

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

Yes, the lies (all plants need is chloro a & B, and green is not needed), backed by pseudo-science is overwhelming, but when we stop to think that through, it smells.

After getting hosed buying a b/r led ufo 5 years ago, I decided to role up my sleeves, and learn the truth. What we do know is hps/mh have been used successfully for decades. Their main problems being heat and incomplete spectrums. So why not start with white but tweak the missing spectrums? White diodes were not readily available, and quite expensive, but red and blue diodes were abundant. enter the pseudo-science carpetbaggers.

Basically, it boils down to the fact that plants prefer a full PAR spectrum as provided by white light. Now, many are using various white CoBs solo and getting excellent results, but they can be further enhanced with a few key separate 450 blue and ~ 620 reds. Many tout 660 red as critical, but science proves otherwise. ~ 620 provides > 90% of what 660 does, but is much more efficient= longer life

Why stores call them shit? well, most are shit, but, virtually all quality led manufacturers do not have retail margins

hth
I can see what you are saying.I was talking to someone about this a few weeks ago.He said he uses led light strips along with the new t5 power hortilux bulbs setup vert.He says a few guys in denver are running a setup. With leds and those power veg t5 bulbs and are killing it.Im pretty handy so I might look into building an led setup like the ones on the yt channel someone posted in this thread or maybe another thread i seen it in.The dude builds them and seems to be doing good with em.

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

I can see what you are saying.I was talking to someone about this a few weeks ago.He said he uses led light strips along with the new t5 power hortilux bulbs setup vert.He says a few guys in denver are running a setup. With leds and those power veg t5 bulbs and are killing it.Im pretty handy so I might look into building an led setup like the ones on the yt channel someone posted in this thread or maybe another thread i seen it in.The dude builds them and seems to be doing good with em.
Mainly something I can hang vert to go with the lecs?Do you have any suggestions as to where I van pick up good parts/leds?

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

So far my ladies seem to like the 630's just fine. Maintaining 16-20" from the canopy. Seems to be the sweet spot for me. 26 days into flower. I like what I'm seeing from the LEC's. View attachment 596565View attachment 596566View attachment 596567View attachment 596568
Looking nice there bro.Ive been having problems with heat atm.The bulbs don't seems to put off much heat but the transformers do alil bit.For some reason the room I have the tent in is the worst room in the house.Its like something you would hear about on coast to coast am lol.Im not kidding out of the whole house this 1 room retains heat like no other.It could be 30 degrees out in the house and this room will be sitting at 70 lol.Its dry as a mofo too.I bought a portable swamp cooler that hold about 2 gals of water.Ill load it up and over nite it will blow through the 2 gals and the humidity in the tent/room will be 45%like wtf really lol.
Also the air pump puts off an insane amount of heat the active aqua pump.It get so hot around the diaphragm None of my older pumps ever put off the heat this one does.He guy at the shop said it was normal.I said so now I need a water chiller because its pumping hot air into my system fuck me with all this new junk from china.I should have just kept my old gear pfft.anyways its going decent now.I just need to cool the room and im limited to 15 amps atm which sucks.
20160429 172028
20160429 171712
20160429 171748
20160501 101531
20160429 172028
20160429 171712
20160429 171748
20160501 101531
20160429 172028
20160429 171712
20160429 171748
20160501 101531
20160429 172028
20160429 171712
20160429 171748
20160501 101531
20160501 113704
20160429 172028

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

Looking nice there bro.Ive been having problems with heat atm.The bulbs don't seems to put off much heat but the transformers do alil bit.For some reason the room I have the tent in is the worst room in the house.Its like something you would hear about on coast to coast am lol.Im not kidding out of the whole house this 1 room retains heat like no other.It could be 30 degrees out in the house and this room will be sitting at 70 lol.Its dry as a mofo too.I bought a portable swamp cooler that hold about 2 gals of water.Ill load it up and over nite it will blow through the 2 gals and the humidity in the tent/room will be 45%like wtf really lol.
Also the air pump puts off an insane amount of heat the active aqua pump.It get so hot around the diaphragm None of my older pumps ever put off the heat this one does.He guy at the shop said it was normal.I said so now I need a water chiller because its pumping hot air into my system fuck me with all this new junk from china.I should have just kept my old gear pfft.anyways its going decent now.I just need to cool the room and im limited to 15 amps atm which sucks.View attachment 596669 View attachment 596671 View attachment 596672 View attachment 596673 View attachment 596669 View attachment 596671 View attachment 596672 View attachment 596673 View attachment 596669 View attachment 596671 View attachment 596672 View attachment 596673 View attachment 596669 View attachment 596671 View attachment 596672 View attachment 596673 View attachment 596675 View attachment 596669
Idk why it tripled the pics lol sorry.
20160501 131107

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Check out Growmau5s YT videos. The best IMO. The problem is you don't really save that much over Amare, which is a fantastic light, excellent customer service and a nice warranty

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

Check out Growmau5s YT videos. The best IMO. The problem is you don't really save that much over Amare, which is a fantastic light, excellent customer service and a nice warranty
Have you used all leds in a grow start to finish?If so can you post up some end result pics?

FireBeard77

FireBeard77

That amare website looks impressive.Do you have one of their setups?If so can you give details as to how good it is compared to 1k hps?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Have you used all leds in a grow start to finish?If so can you post up some end result pics?

Yes, but unfortunately, I deleted final pic pre-harvest of the whole plant that was grown under the Amare SE 220. First pic is horizontal branch that I had to snap as the plant was outgrowing the height of my tent. The bud/phone pic: that bud was> 30" BELOW the light.

The full plant was grown under hot5s mixed with 2 Transcend Lighting red led tubes + 24 ZooMed Florosuns. This grow I am using all TLs, mix of 4 white and 4 red= 240w, so I am expecting bigger buds

IMG 3172
IMG 3176
IMG 3056
IMG 3148
IMG 3124
FireBeard77

FireBeard77

Node stacking is crazy never seen anything like it.right off the bat stacked right on top of each other.Insane!!
20160503 220136
20160503 220136
20160511 081318

Top Bottom