To Mother Or Not To Mother, That Is The Question

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

so, I've been contemplating this for a little bit now. I currently have a mother tent with three stains. I'm wondering if it's worth having mothers or would it be more economical to just pop seeds for every grow cycle.

for my first grow, I popped all seeds without any issues, I then popped a couple more seeds to maintain mother plants. With the cost of feminized seeds being $5 to $10 each, it seems more economical to just do the seed thing rather than maintaining a mother with a 4bulb T5 cooking away 18/6 and a fan blowing forever.

I understand that cloning can cut down on veg time, you get the same genetics(for the most part). The downside is the plant gets big if not trimmed all the time, maintenance it a pain, cuts down on the number of legal plants I can have to flower.

I could do some sort of hybrid where I cut a clone from a vegging plant, grow the clone in the clone tent, then when I do the next full cycle, cut clones from the cloned plant and then flower out the cloned plant...if you know what I mean... and just repeat the cycle all the time where I never really have a full grown mother for many grow cycles.

all opinions are welcome

edit: just want to put out there that I'm only legally allowed 12 plants...

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

my current plan is to Veg 6 plants in one tent for 6+ weeks, move them over to a bloom tent when ready, then start a new 6 plants, roughly 6 weeks before harvest. all the time maintaining mother plants to supply the 6 clones every 12+ weeks.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

any thoughts on this? if not, I won't bump this again and let it slide into the forum abyss };-)

I'm considering just taking a clone from my current vegging plants, grow them out in the mother tent and then pull all the clones I need for the next run from that plant. once I've taken the clones, just throw the clone doner plant into the bloom tent to finish it off...

sixstring

sixstring

I dont keep any mother plants here.i have 2 strains that are over 6 years and 7 years old now just by taking cuts of cuts and flowering them as they get ready.unless you want a shitload of clones off a single plant i dont see a reason to keep mothers.sometimes i dont even take cuts until my donor plant has been in flower for 2 or 3 weeks,it helps keep my numbers lower.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I dont keep any mother plants here.i have 2 strains that are over 6 years and 7 years old now just by taking cuts of cuts and flowering them as they get ready.unless you want a shitload of clones off a single plant i dont see a reason to keep mothers.sometimes i dont even take cuts until my donor plant has been in flower for 2 or 3 weeks,it helps keep my numbers lower.
sounds like you are doing what I was thinking of doing. I don't need to keep a mother because I will only be doing 6 clones each veg cycle

420Artie

420Artie

save your self the headache of maintaining mother's and pop seeds. maintaining mother's and my flowering plants have consumed my life well according you girl it has and I think she's right.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

save your self the headache of maintaining mother's and pop seeds. maintaining mother's and my flowering plants have consumed my life well according you girl it has and I think she's right.
yeah, my mothers are fairly neglected... I simply forget to check them and then when I do, they are usually so dry the leaves drooping.....

Top Bottom