To Much Ph Down Can I Use Ph Up?

• Thread starter The Humanure
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Humanure

The Humanure

I wanted to spray organic pesticided. non oil. I put in PH UP a little to much and hit 7.2
my guy said its only got trace minerals of the millions of PPM and just add PH DOWN.

I did, im weirded out. the spray mix cost $90 but what im spraying cost more.
The maker of the pesticide said plants are pretty safe with PH and get it down to 5.8 to 6.1

FUCK. Its been a day but IM ALIVE

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I wanted to spray organic pesticided. non oil. I put in PH UP a little to much and hit 7.2
my guy said its only got trace minerals of the millions of PPM and just add PH DOWN.

I did, im weirded out. the spray mix cost $90 but what im spraying cost more.
The maker of the pesticide said plants are pretty safe with PH and get it down to 5.8 to 6.1

FUCK. Its been a day but IM ALIVE
HUH, I never heard of Ph'ing pesticide. WTH am I behind the times and there is something going on I'm not hip to? I'm confused :(

Can you clarify a bit? thx

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I think you answered your own question.

The Humanure

The Humanure

I dumped it the fuck out. been stupid under stress.
I have no bugs. I PH my spray so I dont cook the flowers.
Plus I burnt the fucking dinner.

Some days you just need to stay in bed and watch star trek all day.
this is one of those days,.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

HUH, I never heard of Ph'ing pesticide. WTH am I behind the times and there is something going on I'm not hip to? I'm confused :(

Can you clarify a bit? thx

Your about to learn something new today as a licensed pesticide applicator on my farm PH is rather really important in insecticides and pesticides
i should actually start a thread probably become a sticky ..

If you look closely at the pesticide label, chances are you will find a statement cautioning you against mixing the pesticide with alkaline materials such as lime or lime sulfur. The reason for this is that many pesticides, particularly the organophosphate insecticides, undergo a chemical reaction in the presence of alkaline materials which destroys their effectiveness. This reaction is called alkaline hydrolysis and occurs when the pesticide is mixed with alkaline water; water with a pH greater than 7. The more alkaline the water, the more rapid the breakdown of the pesticides.

Lime and lime sulfur are often mentioned on pesticide labels because they are sometimes added to spray tanks. However, they are not the only materials that provide sufficient alkalinity for this reaction to occur. Caustic soda, caustic potash, soda ash, magnesia or dolomitic lime, liquid ammonia--all of these provide alkaline conditions in which susceptible pesticides can readily be hydrolyzed to inactive organic compounds.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Your about to learn something new today as a licensed pesticide applicator on my farm PH is rather really important in insecticides and pesticides
i should actually start a thread probably become a sticky ..

If you look closely at the pesticide label, chances are you will find a statement cautioning you against mixing the pesticide with alkaline materials such as lime or lime sulfur. The reason for this is that many pesticides, particularly the organophosphate insecticides, undergo a chemical reaction in the presence of alkaline materials which destroys their effectiveness. This reaction is called alkaline hydrolysis and occurs when the pesticide is mixed with alkaline water; water with a pH greater than 7. The more alkaline the water, the more rapid the breakdown of the pesticides.

Lime and lime sulfur are often mentioned on pesticide labels because they are sometimes added to spray tanks. However, they are not the only materials that provide sufficient alkalinity for this reaction to occur. Caustic soda, caustic potash, soda ash, magnesia or dolomitic lime, liquid ammonia--all of these provide alkaline conditions in which susceptible pesticides can readily be hydrolyzed to inactive organic compounds.
Well there you have it. Almost 60 and learned something new today. Was not aware of that chemisrty. Thank you for that.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Well there you have it. Almost 60 and learned something new today. Was not aware of that chemisrty. Thank you for that.
People prob never thought when the mix pesticides with tap water :) ph'ing is rather important alkaline hydrolysis happens in mins water supplies have sufficient natural alkalinity to cause hydrolysis of certain pesticides. This means that a pesticide may begin to break down as soon as you start adding water . In practical terms, this means that the degree of pest control may be somewhat less than desirable, or even nonexistent, because a certain amount of the active ingredient will be decomposed to an inactive form before it ever reaches the plant and the pest. And if a spray rig is allowd to stand several hours or overnight before spraying out the contents of the tank, as much as 50% or more of the active ingredient may be decomposed.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Many manufacturers provide information on the rate at which their products hydrolyze. This rate is usually expressed as 'half-life' or the 'time it takes for 50% hydrolysis or breakdown to occur'. With trichlorfon or DYLOX, for example, the time for 50% hydrolysis at pH 8.0 is but 63 minutes; at pH 7.0 50 % breakdown occurs in 386 minutes. and at pH 6, 80 hours.

This means that if the pH of your spray water is 8 and one hour elapses between the time you add the insecticide to your spray tank and the spray dries on the foliage, 50% of the active ingredient has already decomposed. But if your water has a pH of 6, it is not likely that you will lose any significant activity during the process of application.
any application of pesticides one should ph it between 4 -6 range
There are a few pesticide materials which should not be acidified under any circumstances. Sprays containing fixed copper fungicides (including Bordeaux mixture, copper oxide, basic copper sulfate, copper hydroxide, etc.) and lime or lime sulfur should not be acidified. But, if the product label tells you to avoid alkaline materials, chances are good that the spray mixture will benefit by adjusting the pH to 6 or slightly lower.

The major benefit from acidification is obtained during the time the pesticide is in the spray tank; that is, from the time the pesticide is added to the water in the tank to the time the spray has dried on the foliage. If your water source is alkaline, addition of a buffering agent to the spray preparation is an easy and economical way to guarantee maximum results from your pesticide applications.

Its amazing how fast it happens or what 1 point of ph does for instance
Dy-lox or common name Triclorfon 50 percent hydrolosis with ph @ 8 will happen in 6.3 mins from the time you added water
same product @ 7 ph 6.4 hrs @ 6 ph 3.5 days before it reaches 50 percent hydrolosis or half life

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

Oth, straight up high ph water is alleged to have pest deterrent properties. I had No idea about ph & pesticides, good info, though I don't use pesticides.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

not sure about pest mix but I know u are not to use up and down in the same mix I did it for some time before found that out never really seen it hert my plant

Top Bottom