to sog or scrog??

• Thread starter mrduke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrduke

i have a 12x4 F&D table with 3k over head, I've been running 2 gal pots and veging to about 14" with 20-24 plants. but next round i was thinking either sog or scrog. I just cut 35 large healthy clones ( green crack) was thinking of all of 'em in 2g's and veg for just 5-6 days. or picking the biggest and best 8 and vegin' for a few weeks then placing a screen over to scrog thru. which do yall think will do the best? as is i pull 4+ hoping to get closer to 5????:confused0054:

dankworth

dankworth

I plan on getting caught due to some unforeseen bullshit some day. So I am compliant with state laws. So I scrog. You should adjust your technique to the legalities of your area to sleep better at night, if that is your main concern.
Now I don't live in fear. Now I have a leg to stand on.
But sog is straight up better for Operation Mr. Duke's Pocket.
Having a separate pre-veg area with 1-2 1k MHs really helps me manage things so that my flowering room does not have too much vegging happening in it.

M

mrduke

of course that operation number two, one i staying out of the pookie and not rooming with a large fella named bubba for years.

Dank--how long do you veg for? right now i have 20 plants @ somewhere around 18 day veg and the room is stuffed. maybe do 10-12 and veg like 3 weeks??

dankworth

dankworth

I rock 27 gal home depot totes. I have a strain that wants lots of rootspace, and likes any excuse to feel rootbound, and stall, and throw up mad preflowers. And I fought root aphids.
So I lost track of veg time. But it was enough to make me plan on reconfiguring how I do things.
It really depends on the cultivar.
But check out the rooting with IBA thread. And get yourself some of Capulator's bennies for your rootzone. And rock EWC teas. And manage VPD. And try to have the most intense veg light possible, even if it is backed way up to the ceiling. This will keep them maintaining momentum. Momentum in growth is what we should strive for. And use drippers and timers instead of handwatering. And run co2 if you can.
And you will cut your veg time down to a minimum.

Maybe I should have said Operation Mr. Duke's Personal Jar.

M

mrduke

after thinking so more and reading a few threads. I ran out and cut 6 more clones bringing the total to 43, so i figure I'll have 40 good ones to run. I'm aso considering running beds with about an inch of hydroton one the bottom and 5" of coco/perlite over the top 4x6 beds with 20 plants per veg for about a week to ten days with a trellis at about 20" from the coco. what cha think of that?

dankworth

dankworth

after thinking so more and reading a few threads. I ran out and cut 6 more clones bringing the total to 43, so i figure I'll have 40 good ones to run. I'm aso considering running beds with about an inch of hydroton one the bottom and 5" of coco/perlite over the top 4x6 beds with 20 plants per veg for about a week to ten days with a trellis at about 20" from the coco. what cha think of that?

Numbers are a delicate topic, but let me say that taking the strongest 1/2 to 1/4 of your clones really pays off if you have things timed correctly to take full advantage of this.

I have been playing with coco/perlite for a while. Some of the big kids on this site are getting better growth rates with chow mix(hydroton/coco). The are doing buckets with 60 or 70% clay pellets. I would at this point recommend that course of action.

20" is much too high above the coco. My scrog is 16" above my container. I wish it were 8" above. It would have saved me veg time. If I were you I would go no higher than 12" if you can help it. And if you have a floppy cultivar you will want a horticultural trellis 6-12" above your scrog screen.

M

mrduke

so if i understand you right your saying two nets/screens one at 10" one at 20" roughly depending on streatch of strain. i'll have to look into the chow mix, any good threads to watch? thanks for your help dank

dankworth

dankworth

No real journals on chow mix that I can recall offhand. But Jalisco Kid and Northone have a couple of things to say about it.
The best trellis solution I have found so far is the 4' x 7' sheets of concrete reinforcing mesh, that has a 6" grid. Maybe cut that to 4' x 6'. Then bend two 1' 'wings' so you have a base platform of 4' x 4', and two 1' sections sticking straight up. Make the wings flex very slightly outward. Secure horticultural trellis to the top of the wings. That way, you have your metal screen with 6" grid to twist-tie your colas into exact position with, and the horticultural trellis 1' or so above the metal screen to catch the colas when they flop. Because when colas fall down, it blocks light they really need at the end of their life cycle. Yield and quality suffer when colas fall down.

Top Bottom