To Take Sucker Leaves Or Not To Take Them

• Thread starter Nybadboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nybadboy

Nybadboy

ok guys my first indoor grow ever and I'm trying to get the most yield that I can so my question is should I be taking the big fan leaves from the top and middle so the inside of my plant get lighting?

Smerb

Smerb

ok guys my first indoor grow ever and I'm trying to get the most yield that I can so my question is should I be taking the big fan leaves from the top and middle so the inside of my plant get lighting?
Remove leaves here and there, bigger old leaves can go but not a lot at one time, you don't want to stifle growth. That's about it for thee moment.

T

Taylor Smith

theres really no such thing as a leaf sucking energy even the ones in the shade still produce enough energy to prevent them from sucking energy from the rest of the plant. photosynthesis happens much more efficiently when there is less light, there could be 100 times less light but the leaf my produce only 10 times less energy ( just an example not actual numbers) the purpose of leaves is to generate glucose for other parts of the plants once a leaf is matured and no longer getting larger it has very little energy needs for itself. how ever leaves do age and there efficiency can decrease over time, they can block out light from other more efficient leaves and buds and restrict air movement and transpiration which can ultimately restrict photosynthesis . large fan leaves can also slow the growth of lower branches. in veg it really doesn't matter as long as your canopy is full when you start flowering excessive defoliation will slow growth in veg. In flowering i personally do not remove any unless leaves airflow is restricted or maybe if they are blocking out light from buds but for me it is preferable to just tuck them out of the way . even when i lollypop i only remove lower buds not healthy leaves . the lower leaves aren't in the way of any buds and as i said i do not believe they will suck energy from the plant. in flowering energy is focused on flowers. if a leaf is not getting enough light to sustain itself it is more like to just slowly die as opposed to sucking energy.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Ok I've been looking at the pros n cons on this subject my first indoor grow I didn't do any de leafing or pruning which i was a bit hesitant to do I had a lot of waisted energy with the plants growing all the bottom bio mass so this grow I de leafed and pruned them and I can see a incredible amount of how the tops have taken over having no competition with the scrappy shit on the plant lower story . I'll keep the leaf and lower story bio mass stripping style going it suits my growing style sweet . This is only my opinion I'm sure there's a lot of growers doing it .

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Ok I've been looking at the pros n cons on this subject my first indoor grow I didn't do any de leafing or pruning which i was a bit hesitant to do I had a lot of waisted energy with the plants growing all the bottom bio mass so this grow I de leafed and pruned them and I can see a incredible amount of how the tops have taken over having no competition with the scrappy shit on the plant lower story . I'll keep the leaf and lower story bio mass stripping style going it suits my growing style sweet . This is only my opinion I'm sure there's a lot of growers doing it .

straincreation

straincreation

Don't know about that
Well that why he gave you the knowledge now you know about that, I love how people come here for facts, get them, bUT shut them down cause they've never heard it before.. haha Imo the @jammie and @Taylor Smith are spot on that's coming from over a decade of XP. So take it for what it's worth happy farmin!

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
theres really no such thing as a leaf sucking energy even the ones in the shade still produce enough energy to prevent them from sucking energy from the rest of the plant. photosynthesis happens much more efficiently when there is less light, there could be 100 times less light but the leaf my produce only 10 times less energy ( just an example not actual numbers) the purpose of leaves is to generate glucose for other parts of the plants once a leaf is matured and no longer getting larger it has very little energy needs for itself. how ever leaves do age and there efficiency can decrease over time, they can block out light from other more efficient leaves and buds and restrict air movement and transpiration which can ultimately restrict photosynthesis . large fan leaves can also slow the growth of lower branches. in veg it really doesn't matter as long as your canopy is full when you start flowering excessive defoliation will slow growth in veg. In flowering i personally do not remove any unless leaves airflow is restricted or maybe if they are blocking out light from buds but for me it is preferable to just tuck them out of the way . even when i lollypop i only remove lower buds not healthy leaves . the lower leaves aren't in the way of any buds and as i said i do not believe they will suck energy from the plant. in flowering energy is focused on flowers. if a leaf is not getting enough light to sustain itself it is more like to just slowly die as opposed to sucking energy.
I'm really very curious where you get your information from on this.

I disagree with most of what you just said.

The Terps

The Terps

I do a pretty good defoliation around day 20. It helps with ligh penetration and airflow. If I don't my tops are the only thing getting light but by the time week 5-6 come around you wouldn't think I removed a single leaf ever.

straincreation

straincreation

I'm really very curious where you get your information from on this.

I disagree with most of what you just said.
Shroom can you enlighten me on how this doesn't make sense to you? Ya there's a few things there that are a lil outlandish, he hit the nail on the head, your telling me that you encourage removing fan leaves during flower?? Rather than tucking, or even doing duel harvest?

Let's take away dead leaves, diseased leaves, weak leaves, and anything that is 50%or more damaged outta the picture. And of course the day 21 lollipopping.

Happy farmin!

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
This is the shit you remove right here!!! Just like he did... then if you have a yellow leaf here and there you can pop them off too.
Ehh it didnt pull the quote... im talking about the picture one drop posted... cut all that crap off for less popcorn and better air flow

xavier7995

xavier7995

I clip leaves that block lower growth. My reasoning being that I want the smaller branches to have exposure and to encourage them grow into productive branches.

I clean up the underside right before I flip and then again a couple of weeks into flower. I like to wait until they have stretched a bit to see if anything down low looks like it will produce. Best to get rid of most of it as it is not going to produce viable buds and is where I most often see issues spring up, but I give each branch the chance to avoid the clippers. I usually just use that stuff to make clones.

xeamonk

xeamonk

This is the shit you remove right here!!! Just like he did... then if you have a yellow leaf here and there you can pop them off too.
Ehh it didnt pull the quote... im talking about the picture one drop posted... cut all that crap off for less popcorn and better air flow

YUP

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

Your light diminishes greatly the second it leaves the bulb..... it's getting weaker the further it travels. So why would I want to remove top growth to encourage the further away growth to get more light????

@One drop great job wish I had taken the time to trim my girls up like that ;)

Top Bottom