To Toss Pre-flower'd Plants or Not, that is the question

• Thread starter GDub51
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GDub51

GDub51

I had always read that one may as well toss any plants that pre-flower'd, as they were a waste of time/money. Well, I had three do it on me this year but I let them go. The story in pics below...47 shows how they are raised, outdoor "greenhouse" NO artificial light after 1st leaves; Even so, flowers apparent in April; 50. June is looking like harvest soon for the Bonsai premies, shown in the foreground with their sisters that are normal in the back (Girl Scout Cookies) : 34, one of the two Gorilla Bomb "premies"; 38 the one Girl Scout Cookie "premie": 53, 57 & 66; WoW! the Gorilla Bomb is coming up roses for early season Hors d'oeuvres!! AND some Pineapple Haze, started when 1st pre-flowers seen, perfectly timed themselves right into the just vacated 12g pots! December harvest? Not that I'm advocating you should purposely let some of your grow early flower...but it will extend the fun this season!
To toss pre flowerd plants or not that is the question
To toss pre flowerd plants or not that is the question 2
To toss pre flowerd plants or not that is the question 3
To toss pre flowerd plants or not that is the question 4
To toss pre flowerd plants or not that is the question 5
To toss pre flowerd plants or not that is the question 6
To toss pre flowerd plants or not that is the question 7

Reactions: Ina
GDub51

GDub51

Left off an important shot to show new growers what pre-flowers look like. and I couldn't resist another shot of the trichomes! Can't wait for it to cure!
IMG 2611
IMG 3357
IMG 3365
IMG 2611
IMG 3357
IMG 3365
IMG 3357
IMG 3365

Reactions: Ina
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What is a pre flower? The pic above is a flowering plant.

A pre flower is when a vegging plant shows 2 tiny white pistils at the nodes and not all strains show them.

And it sure doesn't mean the plant should be culled.

Am I missing something?

GDub51

GDub51

A pre flower is when a vegging plant shows 2 tiny white pistils at the nodes and not all strains show them.

Am I missing something?
Pre-flowering can happen to photoperiod seeds where, like these. flowers show well before their time like these at only a month old. Photoperiod plants use all the "growing' months from March to October. They are not expected to show flowers until after their vegetative period in which they grow large without showing sex yet. Flowering for photoperiod plants grown outdoors doesn't usually happen until later in June or July any earlier and they have "preflowered". Which will stunt their growth. Note: the top once flowered will not grow taller except from the stacking of the cola, no new colas will develop so production is a small fraction of the expected harvest. Note the miniature size, these are not "autos". Most pull them as a waste of energy and money, yet these got to be like Bonsai auto's so full and heavy for such a runt plant. A little mid-season surprise by letting them go and the bonus of the timing working out so perfectly with the replacement seeds, set as soon as I spotted the pre-flowers, maturing out of their cups JUST as I pulled the premies. These will not likely be ready for harvest till November! So I expect three outdoor harvests this season!

dire wolf

dire wolf

Am I missing something?
Always on it ! 🏆

dire wolf

dire wolf

Pre-flowering can happen to photoperiod seeds where, like these. flowers show well before their time like these at only a month old. Photoperiod plants use all the "growing' months from March to October. They are not expected to show flowers until after their vegetative period in which they grow large without showing sex yet. Flowering for photoperiod plants grown outdoors doesn't usually happen until later in June or July any earlier and they have "preflowered". Which will stunt their growth. Note: the top once flowered will not grow taller except from the stacking of the cola, no new colas will develop so production is a small fraction of the expected harvest. Note the miniature size, these are not "autos". Most pull them as a waste of energy and money, yet these got to be like Bonsai auto's so full and heavy for such a runt plant. A little mid-season surprise by letting them go and the bonus of the timing working out so perfectly with the replacement seeds, set as soon as I spotted the pre-flowers, maturing out of their cups JUST as I pulled the premies. These will not likely be ready for harvest till November! So I expect three outdoor harvests this season!
Cool input , but a bit confusing , where are the " pre flower " pics ?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Your description of pre flower is correct , but your pic example isn't , so it can be a bit confusing

dire wolf

dire wolf

Your plant in a month of flowering , is simply flowering , not an example of pre flowering....
Sorry if I sound like a douche , sometimes I am ......

GDub51

GDub51

Cool input , but a bit confusing , where are the " pre flower " pics ?
The pic that shows the plant at about 10" tall with flowers developing is at only five weeks of age. Even at this young age these flowers are pretty developed (no I didn't get a pic when they first showed) but even the finished product will always be from a Pre-flowerd plant that, like it's sisters in the background at over 3 feet tall at the same age was done in early June at 15" high and less than one ounce per plant while it's full term sisters will finish in October with nearly a pound per plant. Perhaps the confusion comes from indoor growers who control their light timing thru-out their grow and likely never see a "pre-flowered" plant. Most outdoor growers toss premies as a waste of water and time since they rarely develop much of anything. These were so "Bonsai" in their volume and so definitive in throwing flowers at only five weeks, I let them go. My point is sometimes it may be worth letting them go for a mid season treat, especially if you get their replacements started promptly.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So now an early flowering plant outdoors is called “pre flower”?

No. Just no.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Not sure who you are responding to but this is a “preflower” to me. Will never be a bud, they grow as colas on tops in another month or so.

Wasnt responding to you. You showed a real preflower like i described. Im commenting on making up even more labels for stuff that are not needed and are confusing.

Ina

Ina

Latest posts

Top Bottom