Tobacco Mosiac

• Thread starter utokin2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

utokin2

I hope this is the right place for this thread.
My friend has had to stop all production as his plants got Tobacco Mosiac he grows indoors is clean and up until 4 harvests ago was a very successful grower. I have googled it and I wanted to know if anyone has come across this terrible virus it destroyed 4 crops even though he cleaned really well.
He is a smoker of tobacco and as this can cause the virus he now smokes out of the house. Urgent help needed. Thanks guys

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would be surprised if there's research showing that mosaic virus can be vectored through smoke. I do know mosaic (there are many, many mosaic viruses) can be vectored through bugs, so if he's got fungus gnats or anything else like that, he's got to get control. IIRC, there is no control for mosaic virus, the plants pass it on and on and on, including in seed.

Gimme a minute, we've got some pretty good threads here on mosaic virus. Lemme do a search for ya. Ok, you've got some reading to do.

The first thread has the most, best information in it.

U

utokin2

Thanks Seamaiden I have read your threads very interesting what has us stumped is that the room has been scrubbed and a sulpher bomb was used after the first infection and the cleaning got more rigorous as the next 3 crops failed with the same problem all the seeds were from different stocks so we are really pissed off we are going to take the easiest option and move the grow to another place .
Thanks again

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm surprised it's so virulent, I would then look to insect vectors. I've experienced a slight expression, but in a clone taken from a mother plant that I know doesn't have the disease. Did some reading (the first thread I linked) and realized I needed to control all vectors, which means controlling insects.

Sorry to read this is mucking your grows up so badly. I hope it gets sorted with a quickness. I've suffered significant (two) crop losses to root aphids, it doesn't matter what the problem is when you're talking crop loss, it always hurts.

A

AlienBoyD7

I believe a lot of problems are caused by monoculture, one should always rotate crops. Easy to do in the field, tuff enuff indoors.

U

utokin2

Thanks guys but this one is heavy duty and to keep on losing plants when keeping things super clean even wearing paper suits when entering grow space and scrubbing up like a surgeon it takes the pleasure out of growing this beautiful plant

420Gator

420Gator

post up some pics
how do u know its mosaic?
maybe itd be easier to change location if u know for sure thats what it is and u cant get rid of it

Cort

Cort

If this friend is the same who said in another thread that he grows inside a tent, could you post info about that tent? Some tents have been known to kill crops.

If this is a different situation, just ignore me.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Pics if possible. Tobacco mosaic virus usually yellows leaves in strange patterns. There is no known cure. It destroys young plants by interfering with photosynthesis, from what I've read, and it is most definitely transmitted through tobacco smoke. Mature plants can sometimes finish, although they will not yield the quality or quantity they normally would produce. It is most likely in the mother plants, and will continue to manifest as long as those plants and cuts are propagated.
This is just off the top of my head; don't take it for gospel. But plenty enough to make me a nazi about smoking anywhere in or near my building.

Tobacco Mosaic Virus

An excerpt from the article:
"Unlike fungicidal chemicals used to control fungal diseases, to date there are no efficient chemical treatments that protect plant parts from virus infection. Additionally, there are no known chemical treatments used under field conditions that eliminate viral infections from plant tissues once they do occur. Practically speaking, plants infected by viruses remain so. Thus, control of tobacco mosaic virus is primarily focused on reducing and eliminating sources of the virus and limiting the spread by insects. Tobacco mosaic virus is the most persistent plant virus known. It has been known to survive up to 50 years in dried plant parts. Therefore, sanitation is the single most important practice in controlling tobacco mosaic virus."

Sorry about the bad news, if it IS in fact TMV.

420Gator

420Gator

Good info there af, as if I didn't need more reason to be anti cigs lol

U

utokin2

Thanks altitude you have hit the nail we are trying one last time. We think the virus has mutated all the plants dies except one that was the strange thing. Will keep you all posted on our last try thanks again for your valuable input and happy growing

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

you too; I'd say the best bet is to start over, grrr... I've done that more than I'll ever admit on a message board- LOL.

Latest posts

Top Bottom