Too few leaves ?

• Thread starter sspitfire
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sspitfire

sspitfire

Hi. This plant is 40 days old. Its about 20inches high (50cm) Do you think it has too few leaves ? Its some unknown strain. I took the seeds from a bud and planted them just to experiment. So do you think I can fix this somehow? Light is CFL bulbs. http://invalid.com/photo/my-images/804/imag0120u.jpg/

Too few leaves
PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

You can fix/add more branches to it by topping it or using LST method. Looks pretty healthy at the moment. Might want to transplant it soon. (and upgrade lighting if possible) GL with your grow! Take care.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

It doesn't look like there are too few leaves, just too much space between nodes. This could be caused by a few things, my first assumption would be that your light is TOO far away from the plant. If you are using CFL's you can keep the lights a mere inches above the top of the plant. The close proximity of the light will help keep the nodal spacing tight and your plants a bit more compact. This is important if you have limited vertical space for flowering. You may also simply have too little light. You stated you are using CFL's, but how much? It could also be genetic, some sativa dominant plants are very long and lanky, and since you just used some bag seed this may be what you have. As PDX said, some Low Stress Training (LST) may be necessary at this point to keep your height under control.

sspitfire

sspitfire

Thanks guys!!

3 more questions -

1.I plan to get a HPS lamp. So what wattage do I need for 6 plants like that in a small growbox (large enough just to contain them)

2. What distance should I put it from the plant? I read different opinions on this.

3. Do you think this plant in the picture is ready to enter flowering stage?

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

sspitfire, you have to stop being so vague. What is a small grow box? The dimensions make a difference. A bit of advice I would give you instead of answering your questions directly is to be exact and keep very detailed notes. This will help you more than you can even imagine. Now to your questions:

1)Wattage depends on available space, in all three dimensions (height, width and depth.

2)Again this depends on what light you will be using and how much space you have.

3)Do you think it is ready for flower? Do you have the room for that plant to triple in size? If you really wanted you could place a plant into flower at 3 days old.

sspitfire

sspitfire

Smoking Gun you're right. Here are the details
Growbox:
1.5m height
0.6m width
0.8m length
Volume: 0.72 cubic meters = 25 cubic feet

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

If you are going to HPS I would just go to a 250w, no higher, your space is not all that big. You will need to keep that space well cooled if you want to use HPS. You will only need to put it at the top of the grow space and leave it there. And I would have flowered yesterday. You are at almost 2 feet tall and you may well see three times the stretch in flower, and your space is not 6 feet tall. Do some training and then flower ASAP.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Yep, thats good advice! That plant is going to triple in size easy due to low light enviroment. You need to get the lights close like within one inch of the plant if it is CFL's bulbs. HPS need to be about 12 inches away depending on plant size and bulb wattage.

You are going to need to do some serious bondage on that girl to control her in flower at this point. Super cropping would probably be easier IMO.

Get your lights and environment right before you proceed but you need to start flower ASAP.

Ideally you want to do all your super cropping and topping before you go to flower.

Good luck!

B

Bluenote

Yep, thats good advice! That plant is going to triple in size easy due to low light enviroment. You need to get the lights close like within one inch of the plant if it is CFL's bulbs. HPS need to be about 12 inches away depending on plant size and bulb wattage.

You are going to need to do some serious bondage on that girl to control her in flower at this point. Super cropping would probably be easier IMO.

Get your lights and environment right before you proceed but you need to start flower ASAP.

Ideally you want to do all your super cropping and topping before you go to flower.

Good luck!

That 12 inches you cite is situation dependent based on wattage and cooling system for the light and in his size of cabinet it's real likely to be too close. I run the 400 MHs I use to harden off in veg prior to flowering a lot higher than 12 inches and they're cooled.

Sooner or later I'll go to LEDs for veg , when I find the right deal , until then a combo of T5s and T8s for clones and seedlings and the 400Mh's for final veg has worked quite well for years , and anecdotal though it may be it seems that hardening 'em off pays a great deal of benefit as regards vigor in flower , the difference is incremental but adds up and can be physically seen in comparison to a batch that I vegged just under straight T5s/T8s.

vaporedout

vaporedout

heres a good trick, tie a string/twine to your light, that is 12 inches, ( i used 18 for my 1000w) so as your plants grow you can keep the light adjusted.

sspitfire

sspitfire

heres a good trick, tie a string/twine to your light, that is 12 inches, ( i used 18 for my 1000w) so as your plants grow you can keep the light adjusted.

v nice advice :D
so LST - i just tie the top of the plant so it bends? and this produces new tops?

Nutts

Nutts

Get a big ass light like 600hps, slowly day by day pull it over till it's growing sideways and all those branches will grow in..did you remove anything from the plant?
It should have branches, two at every set of leafs

philly kush

philly kush

Hi. This plant is 40 days old. Its about 20inches high (50cm) Do you think it has too few leaves ? Its some unknown strain. I took the seeds from a bud and planted them just to experiment. So do you think I can fix this somehow? Light is CFL bulbs. http://invalid.com/photo/my-images/804/imag0120u.jpg/

Plant looks ok u can top it if u want it 2 bush out. u should get a cutting from it then flower the cutting 2 c if u have a female so your not wasting your time.I would def. pick up a hps bulb 4 the flowering. goodluck with everything.

Top Bottom