too late?

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
i have some clones that are late to the outdoor game they are bout 12in tall in one gal pots...They are doing really well. But I don't expect to get much from them. Except one of them is gonna go inside and make a nice mother

My question is;

I have made room and got free wood on Freecycle. Should I build a planterbox and Buy 200 bucks worth of soil to plant them in with only a couple more weeks of vegging?

or just let them finish in pots?

I have heard the roots grow a lot during the stretch...So Im thinkin,
I should give em some room. and some Mykos

I will add pics when I have time.
lots to do
.Gotta get busy now!

E

E.T.

i would just go with some larger pots....save the time and $$ on the planter box and throw em into big pots. hit em with myco at the transplant and they'll do great!

S

Sea Of Green

As long as the plant is alive, roots are growing. Root health/maintanence is always important. Mycorrhizae can be supplemented at any time.

I would put them in the ground instead. Prepping the hole with some high-quality soil is a good idea. $200 worth is a bit more than necessary.

You might be surprised how well they do. Especially if we have a late summer this year. As cool as it's been around here this year, it almost feels like summer hasn't even started yet.

BTW, if you're planning on budding out the mother and then regreening it indoors for some clones. Then just transplant that one into a larger container for now. Say a 5 gallon bucket, or bigger. Then you won't have to dig it up. Which would mean less stress on the plant, and a higher likelyhood of it reacting favorably to the process.

H

HolyMunchies

How many clones are you working with?

Personally, I would probably just up the pots to 3gal smarties if possible and finish that way. The more clones you have the better a planter looks.

MendoCruz

MendoCruz

I rocked a bunch of Purp Fx last year that were stuck out in early aug. They were all 12-14" tall in one gal pot when I put them out. I had a 2' x 8' filled with them..I called it "The Peanut Gallery". It worked out very well and I save a lot in soil cost. You might want to step them up to 2 gal size so you don't have to water every day.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
i have some clones that are late to the outdoor game they are bout 12in tall in one gal pots...They are doing really well. But I don't expect to get much from them. Except one of them is gonna go inside and make a nice mother

My question is;

I have made room and got free wood on Freecycle. Should I build a planterbox and Buy 200 bucks worth of soil to plant them in with only a couple more weeks of vegging?

or just let them finish in pots?

I have heard the roots grow a lot during the stretch...So Im thinkin,
I should give em some room. and some Mykos

I will add pics when I have time.
lots to do
.Gotta get busy now!
Depends on a few factors, most significant being what current photoperiod they're on. That will determine to a large degree how they're going to behave once put outside. The other factor that plays a big role in how quickly flowering begins is size of the root ball. The more restricted the mass, the more quickly they tend to go into flowering. I can say this from direct experience.

So, if you put them in-ground, but they're currently on say an 18/6 photoperiod, they're going to want to go into flowering but the roots are also going to grow. This will cause weird shit to happen, that I can guarantee you. If you put them in pots, the smaller the pot the more quickly they'll flip into flower.

You could put them into 2gal pots, and they'll still need daily attention/water if it's warm where you are, but they'll also go into flower more quickly. Or you could put them into 3-5gal pots or buckets, and they will not flower so quickly.

Thing is, right now, as far as seasons go, you're right on the edge in terms of veg vs flowering. Wait a couple of weeks and they should go right into flower, I think. Wonder what Blaze would have to say about it.... <musing>

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thanks for your reply's everyone.

I should have been clearer

These clones have been outside since they came out of the cloner into party cups, about a month ago(?)

Im Not gonna put the "In" the ground".....
Im thinkin of putting them in a 2 foot tall planter box

I don't wanna spend money on pots and soil

And I already have some that are gonna finish in pots

Thing is, the cheap black pots I buy seem to dry out faster than the Planter boxes.

This Wood was Free and I had the 1in chicken wire for the bottom already

I guess Im just gonna try it all

2nd photo is of the clones in question here. I think the might like that box
other photos are ones that will finish in those pots

all are kinda late...but I was asked to grow em for a couple patient friends of mine recently.

Potplanter
Potssmall
Potsmedeium
Potsbig
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you don't have the pots, then I say get some soil and go that route. You'll have the planters available next year to use again, too.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
You could put them into 2gal pots, and they'll still need daily attention/water if it's warm where you are, but they'll also go into flower more quickly. Or you could put them into 3-5gal pots or buckets, and they will not flower so quickly.

Yeah I don't care when they flower really..
.I guess the longer they veg. would be best

we have a squirrel problem that we are also working on here...
So the upper edge of that box will be smeared with Tanglefoot (and so will we)
works though...thanks for the tip :)

S

Sea Of Green

The other factor that plays a big role in how quickly flowering begins is size of the root ball. The more restricted the mass, the more quickly they tend to go into flowering. I can say this from direct experience.

So, if you put them in-ground, but they're currently on say an 18/6 photoperiod, they're going to want to go into flowering but the roots are also going to grow. This will cause weird shit to happen, that I can guarantee you. If you put them in pots, the smaller the pot the more quickly they'll flip into flower.

Thing is, right now, as far as seasons go, you're right on the edge in terms of veg vs flowering. Wait a couple of weeks and they should go right into flower, I think. Wonder what Blaze would have to say about it.... <musing>
My experience's have been different. I haven't seen how root ball size, restriction, or root growth have any appreciable affect on flowering. In fact, I currently grow a strain that requires no veg time at all to support my case. I put my freshly rooted clones(24/0)into a flowering room(12/12) for 6 weeks and they totally fill up 1 gallon pots with roots when finished. They don't need any more or less room for root growth.

However, we're also talking about outdoors in Oregon, and the late-season planting of clones/starts. This I know a little something about. As I've done it more than a few times now. And putting them in the ground is always the way I have/would do it. If you don't need to transport the plant at some point, there's no point in having them in containers outdoors in IMO. Not around here anyways. Western Oregon dirt grows GOOD buds! Always has!
This top was a clone of my Shiskaberry that I put in the ground on July 31 and harvested October 4 of 2004. It grew insanely quick, shooting to 6'+ in ~2 months. Yielded approx. 4.5 oz. Not too shabby. What was also interesting about it was the smell. It was surprisingly different than I've been able to achieve indoors with it. It smelled strongly of pure grapefruit for whatever reason. Mmmmm..I can smell it just thinking about it. Fantastic! Shiskaberry is widely known for it's distinctly berry aroma. Some have labeled it identical to a gooseberry. To me it smells/tastes just like it should. Hash and blueberries(Blueberry x Afghani).

http://i173.invalid.com/albums/w66/MrGeniusA/Outdoor.jpg

Other slower growing strains I've put in the ground late have finished well too here. So I always try to do it if/when I can get away with it. It's never too late in my book!

FYI, you do know that sucker shot a 6'+ taproot down too right? Because it most likely did...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
If you don't have the pots, then I say get some soil and go that route. You'll have the planters available next year to use again, too.

Yep and the worms will be attracted to the thin layer of cardboard on the bottom and join the party

i think these planter boxes get better with time

K

kolah

...need to try some Shiskaberry...and grow some too.

plus I like to say "Shiska- Berry". It just rolls off the tongue nicely. Shiska Berry.

<puts pipe down> :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My experience's have been different. I haven't seen how root ball size, restriction, or root growth have any appreciable affect on flowering. In fact, I currently grow a strain that requires no veg time at all to support my case. I put my freshly rooted clones(24/0)into a flowering room(12/12) for 6 weeks and they totally fill up 1 gallon pots with roots when finished. They don't need any more or less room for root growth.
I'm talking specifically about an outdoor growing scenario, which is what I assumed Ken's scenario to be.

Every year I put my eggs in different baskets, spread them around. So, I'll have girls in a planter--they get HUGE because they have the room. I'll also have girls potted, up on my back deck. Last year I did a lot of experimenting and was able to confirm observations made by others (roots being bound can cause onset of flowering to come earlier, specifically outdoors), and I found that pot size can play a huge role in when flowering begins. Ultimately, I also found that the exact same strains grown in pots of vastly different sizes will finish at different times, and that potted girls finish up weeks ahead of in-ground or planter girls.

Just my observations.

K

KillMachineKill

They look like they are going to go off! I would go box, I have done smart pots for a while now, and am going to individual boxes from now on. If it were me, I would try to use Azos with Mykos, I found out they are supposed to be used together, I just pull out and completely dust the whole soil/root zone until it is white. Plus with the size of pots they are in, they are probably going to jump in whatever you put them in. Here where I am, most peoples plants are really pushing because it is getting closer to transitioning. Excited to see them in flower!! always watch your posts!
@Seamaiden - Sea of Green, I would have to agree with Sea Maiden, although this is a living thing and there are so many different variables that cause flowering. However I have found that a Plant that is in a smaller pot that is put outside or is already outside will always go into flowering quicker then a plant that is actively expanding its root zone quickly. One of the plants main objectives is to reproduce itself to keep its genetic line going, and as its roots space starts to constrict and get root bound I feel like it is easier that it will want to go into flowering to do that. A lot of people I know use the big 300 gal pots seem to have to force there plants into flowering because it can "endlessly" expand its rootzoone. Using the Sea of Green method can be done with almost any plant, seen it done with Northern Lights for a decade, roots will continue to grow through flowering in any planting situation, but this is different then growing outdoors, and you are in more control growing inside with a timer. The Goal for most people outdoors is bigger plants, not sea of greening a 1000 small plants.
Your Shiskaberry looks sweet, takes me back, grew my first grow almost 8 years ago now (wow time has flown) Have never seen it since, got it from some strain hoarders I know (ridiculous) grew it in a 35 gal laundry basket with the bottom cut out placed over a 4 ft deep hole all filled in from soil from kmart. Quite a bit different then how I grew now, used GH 3part with Sweet (which came out that year) and foliared with Dutch Master Foliotech (sp?) and penetrator -which look liked alien blood when you sprayed your plants. pulled 1.5 lbs, not bad for my first year!!
Either way you guys grow is right if it works for you, love seeing all you plants!!

MendoCruz

MendoCruz

4-6 plants in the box would do well, more so if all the plants were planted at an angle or tied down facing away from eachother

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Bout 130 bucks for soil and 20 for a big bag of big pearlite and another 30 bucks for the Mykos
and Im done

4-6 plants in the box would do well, more so if all the plants were planted at an angle or tied down facing away from eachother

Opps...lol..

Well I put 12 in there... I will be happy if I get a pound from this planter.
We will see.

I didn't go with the clones I had planed to put in there.
They will go into bigger pots.

I went with 10 small Himalayan Gold clones and a couple extra Harlequins that are already flowering.

Its not too late to be LST ing them?

I was thinking I would just leave them alone and hope for a zip from each

Newbed
Blaze

Blaze

Looks good Ken! Hey in the future you might want look into getting soil direct from a local soil company. It tends to be a heck of a lot cheaper, and often, better quality than the bagged stuff. I can usually find good quality organic soil for about $45 a yard here, and that includes having to pay a driver to do the 100+ mile round trip to deliver it to my place.

Top Bottom