Too Many Tubes

• Thread starter Watashi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Watashi420

I see a lot of people using tube columns as extraction chambers, using a single pass of butane then letting it drip from the bottom. I did this for a long time but I decided to try something new.

I've been using a different method and it's results are stellar and was wondering if any of the pros here can give me input on adverse effects of soaking.

Supplies: 1/2 gal Mason jar, 6 oz. bud/leaf/trim, Case of 5x Power Butane, coffee filters.

Freeze everything, pack your material into the mason jar and freeze it in the jar. You'll want to poke 2-3 holes in the lid of the jar, small enough for the butane tip to be activated when you push, other holes are for pressure vents. Once everything is well froze (about an hour) start shooting butane into the jar until it's full of butane liquid, it's shouldn't be "boiling" much at this point because you froze it first. Once the jar is full put it back in the freezer to soak. Being in the freezer doesn't allow the butane to evaporate much at all, you'll get a bit of boil from just touching it with our hands. After it sets in the freezer for 20ish minutes I take it out swirl the jar a bit and then replace the lid with a coffee filter, replace the ring to hold it down and then pour into a glass dish. From there procedure is the same, double boil/heat the mass of the butane off, then extract @ 29.5" Hg.

I get about 30-50% more than doing it in a tube using the same 6 oz. and 6 cans of Butane.

Now, Am I over soaking the material? can the butane leech out anything else from the plant material. I end up with virtually the same product as in a tube, just curious if anyone sees any issues.

Thanks and hope you give it a try.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

It was always my thinking that the shorter the exposure the better the flavor.
Someone else will chime in and actually have something intelligent to say I'm sure.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

please don't take this the wrong way, but STOP DOING THAT, YOU ARE GOING TO BLOW UP YOUR KITCHEN

your concepts make sense for the extraction, but an open container of liquid butane has no place indoors, especially inside your freezer where there are all sorts of ways it can get ignited, AND KILL YOU AND INNOCENT BYSTANDERS

stay safe, please.

germinator

germinator

Ill assume you blow outdoors....Great technique ......I soak for an hour....definitely keep safe.....My.02

Graywolf

Graywolf

We do a similar thing using a thermos outdoors, which will stay cold without sticking it back in the freezer. The freezer electrical systems produce sparks, so I don't recommend using one after the butane and plant material are combined in a thermos or jar.

We do a thirty minute soak for bragging rights and a two hour soak for reasonably complete extraction.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/bho-extraction/

SkyHighLer

SkyHighLer

001A
001A
I use the Mason jar technique exclusively. The basic instructions can be found in a YouTube video, "New Method for making BHO" by Jamus Herbeau. I do two quick swish and pour offs instead of one, the ring is removed and the first filter is pushed into the jar to allow a second squirt, swish, and pour off (into the same evaporating dish.) Two coffee filters is plenty, though I'm now using 2.5 micron generic lab filter paper and wouldn't go back to coffee filters. One can of Vector butane will do two quick washes of up to one ounce of herb. Yes, I vacuum purge. If you would like pictures or detailed instructions, please ask! Best, John S.

jump

jump

Inefficient filter here and on u-Tube too.
Glass jar is not difficult to replace on thermos.

White Lotus, 6.15 grams, 22.64% return
Perfect! and the idea is wonderful.

SkyHighLer

SkyHighLer

Me, "I do two quick swish and pour offs instead of one, the ring is removed and the first filter is pushed into the jar to allow a second squirt, swish, and pour off (into the same evaporating dish.)"

jump, "Inefficient filter here and on u-Tube too.
Glass jar is not difficult to replace on thermos."

Why inefficient? I've done up to four quick soaks during extraction as described above, each soak about one to two minutes, each time the filter paper was pushed down into the jar, more butane was squirted, a new filter paper was placed on the jar and capped with the sealing ring, and then the jar was rapidly swished, with the previous filter papers being re-extracted with fresh liquid butane. I cede to your research that I'm probably throwing away two to three percent of what's possible by only doing two washes, but wash three and four were of low quality anyway. I also see you're doing longer soaks in the thermos, and again I've found no necessity, except to get every last psychoactive molecule. ;-)

I prefer quart wide mouth Mason jars because I can see how much butane I'm squirting by the volume readings on the sides of the jar. One can of Vector butane, 320ml, can be divided up for two quick soaks of an ounce of powdered herb this way. Placing the filter paper over the mouth of the extraction jar keeps all the herb and the filter paper(s) in the jar, so the process moves along smoothly and efficiently. Also, the butane vapor pushes the liquid butane and oil solution through the filter, which, with some gentle shaking up and down of the inverted jar, gets about every last drop that's going to drip. I also find quart wide mouth Mason jars easy to clean, I can even get my hand inside.

Yes, the glass jars can break from shock, I freeze both the Mason jar and the can(s) of butane for about an hour before extracting and have never had a problem. Also, never seal up butane in a Mason jar! The jar will hold the pressure at room temperature, but just barely!!! Better to keep the butane boiling away at ambient pressure anyway, makes for a colder, hopefully cleaner, extraction. Thanks for the feedback!

SkyHighLer

SkyHighLer

A heavy glass beer mug shouldn't break if frozen and then filled with butane, I never got around to trying the idea out as the Viton o-ring seemed a little tight, and I was afraid of spilling the butane trying to get it on.

001A
SkyHighLer

SkyHighLer

Here's some pictures of how I prepare my nuggs (White Lotus shown). I use a coarse screen (12 spaces/inch) to remove stems and mature seeds, and then a tight mesh screen (20 spaces/inch) to get a fine powder. This will be my starting weight for yield calculations (sometimes I get heavily seeded nuggs, and this removes the seeds as a factor in my analysis.) The coarse screen is all that's really necessary. In the backround is my evaporating dish with cover (CorningWare) sitting on a 20 watt heat mat like it would if I were extracting (outdoors...)

001A
004A
003A
S

slimjoint

Lol post the video of your destroyed kitchen when it occurs.

SkyHighLer

SkyHighLer

Lol post the video of your destroyed kitchen when it occurs.

I'm sorry if you or anyone else got the impression I ever work with liquid butane in the house. The heat mat is plugged in before beginning an extraction and isn't unplugged until long after the boil off is complete.

The video I referenced earlier shows the extraction and boil off occurring outside.
"New Method for making BHO" by Jamus Herbeau

Peace, John (a disabled MMJ patient in Southern California)

pugliese63

pugliese63

Thanks for sharing this technique. I like to run decent amounts (8 to 12 oz.) so I recently bought an XL glass tube with stand from Extraction Experts. Supposedly would hold a 150 grams. Not hardly, 70 grams tops. It also takes about 3 cans to 4 cans of Power 7X to do a run, which seems like a lot. I never feel I'm getting a complete extraction.

One of the problems I get is condensation from all the frost that forms on the outside of the tube. Keeping the the little bit of condensation out of the extract is a challenge. I also get what looks like frozen fat on the screen which I think contributes to the inefficiency of using the tube.

I think this technique will satisfy my needs for processing larger amounts. Ultimately, I really want a Tamisium Extractor, half pound model. Soon come.

Thanks again for sharing this technique. Much appreciated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom