Too Much Co2? Water Level Too High?

• Thread starter Mids4lyfe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mids4lyfe

If the roots arent in the water than they cant eat,i would keep the water level up in veg,You want all the roots to be in the water,Its DWC not aeroponic.I usually drop my water level after i flip to flower and all the roots are well established.
As long as you feel like your getting plenty of air in the system than i think your good.Plants just look like there not getting enough DO to me.
Watch them aftger the lights come on and if they perk up real nice than dont worry about it.If they continue to look like that than your gonna need to add bigger air pumps.

The roots are definitely in the water. These are the same pumps I've been using since I got the system and haven't had this issue yet.

H

heisen

The roots are definitely in the water. These are the same pumps I've been using since I got the system and haven't had this issue yet.
yeah i dont know what pumps you have so i cant say if its enough but if you have already ran them than thats good,check for PH drops.
If you added these plants to a new system and it wasnt clean or sterilized enough that might also be an issue.Everything is kinda pointing to the roots and or there just in a sleep stage after 15 to 18 hrs of light so your seeing them in that stage.
flip to 18 6 and watch them after lights come back on.

M

Mids4lyfe

yeah i dont know what pumps you have so i cant say if its enough but if you have already ran them than thats good,check for PH drops.
If you added these plants to a new system and it wasnt clean or sterilized enough that might also be an issue.Everything is kinda pointing to the roots and or there just in a sleep stage after 15 to 18 hrs of light so your seeing them in that stage.
flip to 18 6 and watch them after lights come back on.

So I have 2 ET-80 air pumps and a ET-120. The website says that's 240 watts total. My pH yesterday was at 6.0 and today it's at 6.1 so that doesn't seem to be fluctuating. I'm switching them back to 18/6 now. Hopefully that works.

M

Mids4lyfe

Here are a few pics of the roots. They look darker in the pics than they do in person.

IMG 20180621 122447
IMG 20180621 122545
IMG 20180621 122442
IMG 20180621 122606
IMG 20180621 122600
M

Mids4lyfe

I forgot to mention I noticed they were drooping like this around this time yesterday. So is been at least a full 24 of drooping. Before that they looked great.

G gnome

G gnome

I forgot to mention I noticed they were drooping like this around this time yesterday. So is been at least a full 24 of drooping. Before that they looked great.

Cud it have something to do with increased light intensity?

M

Mids4lyfe

Cud it have something to do with increased light intensity?

Very possible. Before all 24 plants were under 2 8 bulb t5s. Now they are under 8 630w lecs. I have them raised pretty high though. Like 3' above the canopy. They looked happy for the first 3 days they were under the lecs though so idk.

G gnome

G gnome

Very possible. Before all 24 plants were under 2 8 bulb t5s. Now they are under 8 630w lecs. I have them raised pretty high though. Like 3' above the canopy. They looked happy for the first 3 days they were under the lecs though so idk.
Then i doubt it is the light

H

heisen

root illness is my guess,your air pumps are just reaching what they need,Its like giving them just enough so any kind of pathogen in the water will show up quicker with less DO in the water.What is your humidity level at?i know in rdwc we are prone to humidity problems cause we dont have big open dirt pots to help add humidty to the environment.
Im thinking they will perk up after you give them 6 hrs of dark.If they still look that way 2 hrs after lights back on report back.

M

Mids4lyfe

root illness is my guess,your air pumps are just reaching what they need,Its like giving them just enough so any kind of pathogen in the water will show up quicker with less DO in the water.What is your humidity level at?i know in rdwc we are prone to humidity problems cause we dont have big open dirt pots to help add humidty to the environment.
Im thinking they will perk up after you give them 6 hrs of dark.If they still look that way 2 hrs after lights back on report back.

My humidity was around 30-40% but I just refilled my humidifier and now I'm back up to about 60%. I can get it to about 70% but then over the AC kicks in it'll drop back down closer to 40-50%

M

Mids4lyfe

I forgot I actually upgraded one of the pumps. It came with the 2 et-80s and an et-100 so this is actually more air than they recommend. You think I should still add more? Like all 3 et-120s? Or is that Overkill?

H

heisen

My humidity was around 30-40% but I just refilled my humidifier and now I'm back up to about 60%. I can get it to about 70% but then over the AC kicks in it'll drop back down closer to 40-50%
yeah man try and keep it up to around 60,I say if your humidity is 50 to 60 after the lights come back on and 2 hrs go by and they dont perk up well look into other options.i think its a good possibility your humidity is to low and your seeing them in there sleep cycle so its freaking u out.

M

Mids4lyfe

I emailed current culture and this was their response:

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern. It seems as if the plants have suffered a bit of shock while being transplanted into the UC system. Given the discoloration of the roots, I would suggest performing a system flush at this time. I have attached our step by step guide which will instruct you on how to do so. This will assist in the efforts of nursing your plants back to health. I hope this information serves helpful.

1. Prepare enough fresh water to fill your system. CCH2O recommends starting with R/O water to ensure starting PPM/EC is close to zero.

2. Drain system using the drain valve and/or recirculation pump with the drain hose fitting. This will leave around 1-2” of standing water in the modules.
a. Note: Complete evacuation will require a wet/dry vac or suction pump to remove any standing water.

3. Fill system with fresh water as quickly as possible.
a. Adjust water level to top of inverted planting deck in Net Pot. Make sure root crown is submerged and has contact with water.

4. Flush with UC Roots: Add 10 mL of UC ROOTS per gallon of water to the system. Dilute UC Roots before adding to the system. This will allow the UC Roots to break down any salts that have accumulated and sanitize the system.
a. Resolve Major Issue: Let UC Roots solution cycle for 24 hours. After 24 hours, drain system by repeating step 2.

5. Fill system with fresh water as quickly as possible.
a. Set the water level to the appropriate depth based on the plants stage of growth. This can be done by adjusting the float valve in your Epicenter.

6. Slowly add diluted Cultured Solutions Nutrients to the system. Refer to the Cultured Solutions feeding schedule for weekly nutrient concentration recommendations.
a. Note: Proper dilution can be done with the CCH2O ADD BACK KIT or by mixing concentrated nutrients into a larger body of water then adding them to the system in small amounts while allowing the solution time to mix.

M

Mids4lyfe

yeah man try and keep it up to around 60,I say if your humidity is 50 to 60 after the lights come back on and 2 hrs go by and they dont perk up well look into other options.i think its a good possibility your humidity is to low and your seeing them in there sleep cycle so its freaking u out.

I'm going to wait until a few hours after the lights turn on to see if I notice any difference before I try the flush they recommend.

H

heisen

yeah man i would wait and see how they look after the lights come back on.i think thats a little drastic and can possibly do more harm,You already put them in a brand new mixed up solution.shocking them further at this point is gonna create ph shock and all kinds of issues.give them 6 hrs of dark and give us a picture after a couple hrs of lights on and make sure the humidity is right.Ive had plants look just like that with perfect white roots after lights come back on with to low humidity.

M

Mids4lyfe

yeah man i would wait and see how they look after the lights come back on.i think thats a little drastic and can possibly do more harm,You already put them in a brand new mixed up solution.shocking them further at this point is gonna create ph shock and all kinds of issues.give them 6 hrs of dark and give us a picture after a couple hrs of lights on and make sure the humidity is right.Ive had plants look just like that with perfect white roots after lights come back on with to low humidity.

I'll report back later tonight with pics. Thanks again for all the help.

M

Mids4lyfe

All the new roots that are coming out are white. It's the the older ones that are a little darker.

IMG 20180621 141350
IMG 20180621 141314
IMG 20180621 141309
IMG 20180621 141225
IMG 20180621 141230
H

heisen

looks like they are fighting off some junk,I would just add another 2ml per gallon of UC roots man and put them girls in the dark,maybe order a couple more good compressors to get your disolved oxygen up in the system and see how they look when lights come back on,Get your humidity up to 60 percent i think you will see improvement.

M

Mids4lyfe

looks like they are fighting off some junk,I would just add another 2ml per gallon of UC roots man and put them girls in the dark,maybe order a couple more good compressors to get your disolved oxygen up in the system and see how they look when lights come back on,Get your humidity up to 60 percent i think you will see improvement.

So they are still drooping. I guess I'm going to try the flush they recommend tomorrow. I need to get another humidifier bc I can't really get it over 40% when the AC is on. I'm in Colorado so it's really dry here.

Sorry about the shitty pic but that's the best I can do right now.

Top Bottom