Too much light? 128w CFL + 600w HPS

• Thread starter CyconautiX
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CyconautiX

Hello's to all out there in Internetland. I've begun my second grow using Easy Rider and Purple Jems. I'm truly curious about specifics that these plants need, and I have settled on a 20/4 light cycle. I'm using the same soil from my last grow of giant sativas that hit the ceiling and bent another foot to the side.

My current grow is a little more ghetto-fab from the lack of funds from these difficult times. I have 4 32w Cool White CFL's (no money for new higher K bulbs) and a 600w Eye Hort HPS, all hovering about 18-24 inches above the soil with mylar on most wall space. Temps hang around 80-87 (a vent already exists in there, currently with a small, round fan with a black garbage bag expertly tailored to funnel its air force up and out. a 350 cfm bathroom-esque fan next on my list). I just had three of the six plants sprout (yes, a bit late to gather this kind of information) and I got an uneasy feeling of an excess in light being given to such young seedings I paid good money for.

Does anyone have any idea if this is so? If not, I have another 600w HPS w/ no hood I thought about using for the last two weeks or so sans the CFL's. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to taking to time to be more of a part of this forum..so much going on.. :character0103:

sedate

sedate

CyconautiX said:
I'm using the same soil from my last grow of giant sativas that hit the ceiling and bent another foot to the side.

The SAME soil or the same KIND of soil?

Recycling soil is an acceptable practice, if some amendments (castings especially) and a bit of fresh soil is added.

CyconautiX said:
My current grow is a little more ghetto-fab from the lack of funds from these difficult times. I have 4 32w Cool White CFL's (no money for new higher K bulbs) and a 600w Eye Hort HPS, all hovering about 18-24 inches above the soil with mylar on most wall space. Temps hang around 80-87

That all sounds just fine to me.

80 is okay - 87 - not so much. If it's peaking for an hour in the afternoon, this is okay - if it's consistantly above 85 during you light cycle, your plants will really be stressed here.

What is the K rating if the "cool white" - this can vary ALOT between manufacturers . . ?

I use CFL's to supplement 5000 - 6500K range all the time when I'm stuck with an HPS for veg - throwing them in as lateral light does wonders for lateral growth and internode spacing when an MH is unavailable.

Don't add that second HPS if temps will be impacted - and two 600's kick out ALOT more heat than one -
more light + 95 degrees = shit harvest

Cyconautix said:
I got an uneasy feeling of an excess in light being given to such young seedings

I'd use the CFL's for the primary lighting this early in the cycle - I've had issues with some strains under an HPS that early in the grow cycle - 6500K 42w CFL's are like $10/piece at WalMart - and three packs of smaller bulbs are usually under $7.

If you do use the HPS this early, keep the HPS at least 24" away until you have nice established roots - maybe 6" plants at least - you can horn in with the CFL's instead, particularly this early - more isn't always better, sometimes it's just more.

Cyconautix said:

west Denver here, welcome, welcome.

B

budlover

If you do use that light for small plants move the hps far aways fromt the plants might burn them up being that strong.. cfls is pretty good for seedlings.. and i agree alot with sedate on the rest sound like he leading you in the right direction. soil not good to be reused unless amended..

Peace and good luck

Budlover

C

CyconautiX

Thanks for the input!

The soil I am using is the same soil, well churned up. When would it be good to start fertilization? When they have good roots? The plants are looking pretty good (pics of everything soon maybe) and are started their second or third set of regular leaves. They are only 2.5-3.5 inches tall too! Though this leads me to wonder if it needs more high K light to make it girth up and out.

The light is also 22" up I found out, but during the next night phase I'll utilize your idea of lowing the CFL's and raising the HPS. The CFL's are 4100K, so as soon as I can, I'm going to find ones with higher temps and are for plants. Sadly, my lights need be T12 40w o T8 32w. what would best? Should I go by lumens?

The room temps are now comfortably 70 to 82 at peak usually, having used smoke from incense to discover the best setup of openings and fans for convection to be maximized.

Thanks for all the input, and hello fellow Denverite. I know you don't have to answer so many questions. I'm a half noob when I comes to whens good, so its nice to spread my mind.

Happy days to all! cool0041:

sedate

sedate

Cyconautix said:
When would it be good to start fertilization?

Are you growing from seeds or clones?

Post pics. It's much easier to get a complete picture of a grow - you know - with a picture.

I'd let 'em get 6 - 8 inches tall before starting a minimal fert regimen.

Less is more with fertilizer. Lotsa good options in Denver - what are you using?

Cyconautix said:
Though this leads me to wonder if it needs more high K light to make it girth up and out

Higher kelvin ratings generally lead to better internode stacking, and, generally more vigorous, lateral plant growth. This isn't 100% critical - but my issues usually are trying to get root growth from clones - I usually have a hard time under an HPS but, no problems under a 5000 or 6500K CFL.

Cyconautix said:
The light is also 22" up I found out, but during the next night phase I'll utilize your idea of lowing the CFL's and raising the HPS. Sadly, my lights need be T12 40w o T8 32w. what would best? Should I go by lumens?

Um. Now I'm confused. T12's and T8's are not CFL's . . . they're "FL's" . . .

Cyconautix said:
The room temps are now comfortably 70 to 82 at peak usually, having used smoke from incense to discover the best setup of openings and fans for convection to be maximized.

That's an ideal range.

Clever use of incense.

Cyconautix said:
Thanks for all the input, and hello fellow Denverite. I know you don't have to answer so many questions.

I like bs'ing about weed. It's why I waste time here. :)

C

CyconautiX

I like bs'ing about weed.
You and me both. :banana1sv6:

Um. Now I'm confused. T12's and T8's are not CFL's . . . they're "FL's" . . .
Whoops..lol. My bad I guess. I honestly never thought anything of it, just thought that's what all fluorescent lighting was called. I know T5 is optimum, but i had T8's and holders on hand and thought they could at least supplement some light. I know they seem to be helping a little though, i.e. the plants are not 100% growing right at the HPS. Going to take pics after this.

Are you growing from seeds or clones?
Seeds. Always have. Also, I have a great rooting hormone solution somewhere, I'll see if I can track its name down. That sh*t's grown roots from things I thought never could. FoxFarm is my regular fertilizer. Had good luck with it in my last grow. What one do you use?

C

CyconautiX

Main View Here
http://i43.invalid.com/2ypasyc.jpg
http://i39.invalid.com/w8aux0.jpg

Current Plants Big to Small
http://i42.invalid.com/znqusz.jpg
http://i41.invalid.com/sm641v.jpg
http://i39.invalid.com/5a100x.jpg
http://i43.invalid.com/k3q3c8.jpg

Hand-Made Vent Using Existing Duct & Fan
http://i44.invalid.com/33z785v.jpg

Pardon the hue, my cam did not like the power of my HPS. The plants are a medium/lightish green, very similar to this site's background picture's colors. The third, and more runt-like one (my 'lil' special ed plant, came up missing a starter leaf) is the only one with the slightly lighter lime green color, and seems to be growing a little slower.

sedate

sedate

Looks like a great start man.

I like the homemade-duct - how did you do that? What material did you wrap that in? Where does it terminate at?

Cyco said:
Whoops..lol. My bad I guess. I honestly never thought anything of it, just thought that's what all fluorescent lighting was called. I know T5 is optimum, but i had T8's and holders on hand and thought they could at least supplement some light. I know they seem to be helping a little though, i.e. the plants are not 100% growing right at the HPS. Going to take pics after this.

CFL's are the curly little lamps that replace incandescents - you are using traditional flourescent tubes.

Most equipment snobs would probably scoff, but growing under T8's is classic man - you need ALOT of them - but the light spectrum is right on and they don't get hot at all.

Back in the late 90's, early 2000's, hundreds of great grows on Overgrow.com were done with T8's or T12's.

My current veg chamer stacks twelve T12's vertically under a 600w HPS - so it works out to 2/3 light from the HPS and 1/3 from 6500K T12's - ideally I'd prefer that ratio be reversed, but it's growing the fuck out of the plants in there.

The cool thing about florescent tubes is that you can grow your foliage actually TOUCHING the lamp itself.

Good, usable light, if a bit diffuse for small plants.

Cyco said:
Seeds. Always have.

Why from seed if ur in Denver? Waste of ur plant count if you ask me . . . .

Cyco said:
Pardon the hue, my cam did not like the power of my HPS. The plants are a medium/lightish green, very similar to this site's background picture's colors

My camera doesn't work with my HPS's either - the pulse makes lines in my camera image.

Cyco said:
I thought never could. FoxFarm is my regular fertilizer. Had good luck with it in my last grow. What one do you use?

I like Botanicare ProGrow and ProBloom - I've had some issues with FoxFarm Ocean Forest so I don't use thier products - but I've heard good things about the all-in-one ferts like GrowBig and TigerBloom and all that. This is a "6 of one, half-dozen of another" kind of thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Just be very conservative with your application.

Anyway, keep us posted man. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom