too much light??

• Thread starter red I
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

red I

whats good peeps, im doin a hydro grow normally use one 600 over 1 plant but now im experimenting and have put 600 x 2 over it and its lookin very sexy indeed but im having second thoughts too weather its too much? the temperature is sorted never goes above 27 but was jus wondering if its possible to give a plant too much light, i thought as long as the temp dosent rise above 27 it wud b ok but i could be wrong? any info very much appriciated!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, it is possible to cause lumen or light shock (or stress). The way to avoid this is to start with the additional light up high, then lower as the girls become accustomed. If your girls are showing no problems or stress with the added 600, then I would surmise that you haven't stressed them. Watch for strange bleaching, more difficult to accomplish than simple burning, but I assure you that it can be done with a single 600W bulb. If that happens, up the feed a little bit.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

too much light usually comes from your lights being to close
you ladies will show a little bit of stress before anything gets bad
as long as you can check them at least once per day your totally fine
too much light will slowly yellow your leaves unless there is way tooo much
i think you would be really happy running one mh and and one hps
mixing spectrums will cause some crazy awsomeness

R

red I

nice 1 cheeser mate! what do u mean when u say run one mh and one hps, like what those terms mean? thought i knew a fair bit about the trade but am new to this site and its made me realise i stil got alot 2 learn especially all theese abreviations! lol maximum respect

Mike49048

Mike49048

I got to much light now what

So what can you do to correct the bleaching from to much light after the fact. I mean besides move the light up of course.
My problem is I had vegged under flo til they were about 3ft tall, about 2wks ago I put them under a 1500w and been having problems with them bleaching ever since.
I just flipped to 12/12 last night I hoping that might help....... any ideas?

hiboy

hiboy

My girls drooped when i vegged for 7 days with h.p.s., when on 22/2 schedule. Once my correct height was reached , then i went to 12/12 and everything started looking great again

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So what can you do to correct the bleaching from to much light after the fact. I mean besides move the light up of course.
My problem is I had vegged under flo til they were about 3ft tall, about 2wks ago I put them under a 1500w and been having problems with them bleaching ever since.
I just flipped to 12/12 last night I hoping that might help....... any ideas?
Feed more, i.e. push the nutes a little harder.

Light is a driver, a motor of sorts for the plants. When you install a larger motor in your vehicle, chances are it's going to use more gas during operation, right? That's kind of how it is with the plants, they need more fuel to do the mad crazy growing that light is telling them they need to do right now.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Light is a driver, a motor of sorts for the plants. When you install a larger motor in your vehicle, chances are it's going to use more gas during operation, right? That's kind of how it is with the plants, they need more fuel to do the mad crazy growing that light is telling them they need to do right now.

love the compairson
do they make superchargers for my lights?lol

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ballasts with a 'super-lumens' setting, yeah, why not? Suicide shifter, FTW!

Mike49048

Mike49048

Thanks for the input Seamaide. I'll start giving them a bit more and see if it helps.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

If you happen to have a light mover. They are perfect for this situation. If I am running tables, I would use around 75-100 watts per sq foot. What I would do is put the lights on movers and only let them move about a foot or so. What this does is let the lights not sit in one spot. This works very well to avoid light or lumen burn.
Like SM said, you need to gradually move the lights to the plants. Listen to her!
Another thing is you cannot really tell light burn by the temp. Or by having your hand under the light does not really work for light burn. What I am trying to say is heat burn and light burn are 2 different things.

Mike49048

Mike49048

If you happen to have a light mover. They are perfect for this situation. If I am running tables, I would use around 75-100 watts per sq foot. What I would do is put the lights on movers and only let them move about a foot or so. What this does is let the lights not sit in one spot. This works very well to avoid light or lumen burn.
Like SM said, you need to gradually move the lights to the plants. Listen to her!
Another thing is you cannot really tell light burn by the temp. Or by having your hand under the light does not really work for light burn. What I am trying to say is heat burn and light burn are 2 different things.

I understand the different between heat and light burn. What I think happened was I vegged under florescent s till they were 3ft tall and then put them under a 1500w hps that was about 18" above them for 18/6 for a week. I was only still vegging because I wanted them to heal a little from some bending and pruning I had did. Anyway I'm pretty sure I lum shocked the hell out of them.
I don't think I can put a mover on the light, I was thinking that myself. After talking to a hydro store owner he told me it won't be a good idea because I've got the light air cooled. 8" fan set up
I since have moved the light up a little and have put them under 12/12 about 4 days ago. I'm going to take SM advise and give them a little extra in their feeding tonight.

K

K-DUB

with this i agree

lights ... equal energy + fuel(food) ... equal bigger more dense buds.

if bleaching occurs raise lights or drop a bulb size

Top Bottom