Too much nutrients?

• Thread starter Oricson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oricson

Oricson

Are these looking OK? Hindu Kush and Blue Buddha in coco/ perlite mix. Leaves are getting a little yellowish at the end and getting slightly wavey on the BB and the HK is a little on the droopy side. Otherwise they are growing fairly nicely and seem healthy. Currently feeding advanced nutrients grow, bloom, micro base and some sensi mag for cal mag. I've been feeding about 1/4 of what is recommended for seedling.

First time grow so any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, for the cal mag, it says on the bottle to feed once a week as needed. Do I need to feed every time at same dose with coco?

Thanks!

Too much nutrients
Too much nutrients 2
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
In my opinion, your plants are much too young to be showing effects of low nutrients. Typically, plants need to be further along for a while before they show deficiencies. Many of the soils that are sold are already full of nutrients...some are pretty hot and can cause issues with young plants. Adding additional nutrients for blooming, growing, and everything else at such a young age can easily over-fertilize or burn youngsters.
Your plants look pretty good at the moment, although I wouldn't keep pouring stuff on them without knowing if they need anything additional. I grow in Promix, which is similar to what you are using. I don't fertilize for at east 3 weeks after germination unless they need it, which they never do. I usually feed once every 7-10 days and don't use cal-mag at all (local water is ~250 ppm).
The biggest problem that you will have is patience. New growers are constantly looking too close or seeing things that aren't there, getting panicked at every spot on the leaf or yellow tip of a leaf! It's a normal reflex since this is a new adventure and you have seen and heard everyone's success stories. Plants lose leaves and get spots from water splashing around on them. It is normal to lose a few leaves here and there, especially during flowering. Just remember to use patience and restraint. Plants can react slowly to changes, so you might not see positive results immediately (in the event that you have problems), but getting a plant to recover from being overdosed on nutrients takes a lot longer than a plant recovering from deficiencies.
Sorry for the ramble. I just want to point out as few of the pitfalls that I see repeated by new growers. It's like having kids...by your 2nd or 3rd grow, you will laugh at your initial fears of a few spots on your leaves...but you will have learned and won't make the same mistakes. Welcome!

Oricson

Oricson

Thanks, that's great info! I think I'm suffering from overload. It can be overwhelming with so many different suggestions out there.

In my opinion, your plants are much too young to be showing effects of low nutrients. Typically, plants need to be further along for a while before they show deficiencies. Many of the soils that are sold are already full of nutrients...some are pretty hot and can cause issues with young plants. Adding additional nutrients for blooming, growing, and everything else at such a young age can easily over-fertilize or burn youngsters.
Your plants look pretty good at the moment, although I wouldn't keep pouring stuff on them without knowing if they need anything additional. I grow in Promix, which is similar to what you are using. I don't fertilize for at east 3 weeks after germination unless they need it, which they never do. I usually feed once every 7-10 days and don't use cal-mag at all (local water is ~250 ppm).
The biggest problem that you will have is patience. New growers are constantly looking too close or seeing things that aren't there, getting panicked at every spot on the leaf or yellow tip of a leaf! It's a normal reflex since this is a new adventure and you have seen and heard everyone's success stories. Plants lose leaves and get spots from water splashing around on them. It is normal to lose a few leaves here and there, especially during flowering. Just remember to use patience and restraint. Plants can react slowly to changes, so you might not see positive results immediately (in the event that you have problems), but getting a plant to recover from being overdosed on nutrients takes a lot longer than a plant recovering from deficiencies.
Sorry for the ramble. I just want to point out as few of the pitfalls that I see repeated by new growers. It's like having kids...by your 2nd or 3rd grow, you will laugh at your initial fears of a few spots on your leaves...but you will have learned and won't make the same mistakes. Welcome!

Top Bottom