Too much soap in soap/water solution?

• Thread starter Hatcheteer00
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hatcheteer00

Hatcheteer00

I sprayed my plants the other day with soap and water solution ( 2 Tsp soap to a gallon of water). Got recipe from the Colorado University website so I figured it was correct. Apparently it was off or something, 1-2 days later the leaves look horrible. I'm scared I messed up big time. The leave look dehydrated and burned, most are curling and have brown/ light green yellow spots. I need some info, I can't seem to find any info on anything like this. I'm pretty sure it was too much soap in the solution. Any thoughts out there on where I should go from here? I'm new to the forum stuff so I'm sure I'm putting this in the wrong place and all so don't attack me too much. I'll try to upload a couple pics from yesterday, they look worse today though. Thanks to everyone for looking at my problem.

Too much soap in soapwater solution
Too much soap in soapwater solution 2
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can you put up some whole plant pix? I've used up to 1T/gal water (Dr Bronner's, or whatever super cheap dollar store dishwashing liquid soap we have in the garage) and it's never done that before. It's looking a bit like a Ca-, but... not quite.

Hatcheteer00

Hatcheteer00

Yea I'm thinking it wasn't the soap thou I will make a less potent batch next time. I'm looking at getting some Cal-Mag today and see if that helps. I've been looking around the web at pics and it does look like Cal or Mag deficiency. Thanks for taking the time to look at my question and to make a suggestion.

Natural

Natural

Kinda looks like the wrong soap used to me. Was the burn all over the plant right after you sprayed? I always just used a few drops per gallon..make sure your soap doesn't have any additives like bleach or anything..easy mistake to make if you're not paying attention. I recently switched to a yucca extract for a spreader/sticker...works great.

Hatcheteer00

Hatcheteer00

I used Dawn dish soap which I thought was good to use. Yea it happened within the next day to all the plants. I'm VERY new to growing this so it's all a BIG learning experience for sure lol this is my first time so I've been going light on all nutes and stuff. They all had a few different types of bugs ( Thrips, aphids, springtails) that's why I sprayed the soap water solution.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yea I'm thinking it wasn't the soap thou I will make a less potent batch next time. I'm looking at getting some Cal-Mag today and see if that helps. I've been looking around the web at pics and it does look like Cal or Mag deficiency. Thanks for taking the time to look at my question and to make a suggestion.
See my signature line, brother. Ain't no such thang as a cal-mag deficiency, and once you learn about these two elements you'll smack your forehead and say, "D'oh!"

Find some Ca, find some Epsom salt (aka MgSO4, which is a hint at what it can provide your plants), go from there.
I used Dawn dish soap which I thought was good to use. Yea it happened within the next day to all the plants. I'm VERY new to growing this so it's all a BIG learning experience for sure lol this is my first time so I've been going light on all nutes and stuff. They all had a few different types of bugs ( Thrips, aphids, springtails) that's why I sprayed the soap water solution.
Uh... Dawn is detergent, not soap. Two different beasts.

When you're new to something, it's better to not try to handle more than one issue at a time. Eliminate one problem first, then reassess and move on. Also, learn what's cosmetic and what's really important, that'll save you some headaches. I've got a thread around here somewhere about what every grower should have on hand, too... that's an old one and I can't remember the title, though.

Hatcheteer00

Hatcheteer00

Thanks for the info on Dawn I'll definitely get some Dr. Bronner's or something like that. They are looking a ton better now, most the crappy leaves are gone/leaving and the new leaves are nice and green marking free. :woot: I talked to a dispensary grower and he said just water them. So now I got someone locally to talk to or show pics to too. I'll stick around here too thou for more growers opinions on questions. ;) Thanks again too everyone that's taken a look at my topic.:)

Thoth

Thoth

Dr Bronners is good shit bro. Use for your plants, use it for yourself. Remember, you wouldn't spray dish washing detergent all over yourself, so it's best not to do it to your plants either. ;)

seaslug

seaslug

So I forgot the difference between soap and detergent. From Random House Unabridged:
de·ter·gent (di tûrÆjÃnt), n.
1. any of a group of synthetic, organic, liquid or water-soluble cleaning agents that, unlike soap, are not prepared from fats and oils, are not inactivated by hard water, and have wetting-agent and emulsifying-agent properties.

I've used dish detergent in the shower for decades. Maybe that's why I have no hair on my head?

Hatcheteer00

Hatcheteer00

LOL awsome gotta love the 80's. My plants are officially back to normal now. I will never do that again.:wtf:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's from WAAAAAYYYY before the 80s, brother! I grew up watching Madge put ladies' fingers into the bowl of Palmolive. D'oh!

A

Amillion10

Is this still active? I did the same thing and now my plants look like shit. Please help

C

Cold.prpper3

I sprayed my plants the other day with soap and water solution ( 2 Tsp soap to a gallon of water). Got recipe from the Colorado University website so I figured it was correct. Apparently it was off or something, 1-2 days later the leaves look horrible. I'm scared I messed up big time. The leave look dehydrated and burned, most are curling and have brown/ light green yellow spots. I need some info, I can't seem to find any info on anything like this. I'm pretty sure it was too much soap in the solution. Any thoughts out there on where I should go from here? I'm new to the forum stuff so I'm sure I'm putting this in the wrong place and all so don't attack me too much. I'll try to upload a couple pics from yesterday, they look worse today though. Thanks to everyone for looking at my problem.
Did u spray with lights on or off? Spray when lights go out or right before they shut off. I been doing dawn for years but lights will burn them up.

istien91

istien91

I'm having what I think is a mite infestation..first time ever trying to grow. Almost made the mistake of using dawn for the water and dish soap solution and fortunately saw this thread right before applying it on my little plant . Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Wondering if I should just let it be for now and wait and see if it gets worse. Or try to do something about it now but worried I'll do the wrong thing and cause myself even more headaches .

Latest posts

Top Bottom