Too soon to switch to 12/12 light?

• Thread starter Kirkb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kirkb

Kirkb

Hi. My two plants are about 17” tall and 14” wide. I honestly can’t remember how long they have been in the vegetative stage due to having problems when they were smaller. I’d say about 2 months. My question is can I go ahead and switch to flowering now or will my yield be very little? I do have more seeds where I can let them go longer but I have no supply and would like to just rush these two even if I get a small yield. Also, won’t these grow almost double in size during the flowering stage anyways? I’m still new to this. Thanks.

Too soon to switch to 1212 light
Too soon to switch to 1212 light 2
Too soon to switch to 1212 light 3
Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Determine your hight limit first and how big you want your plants to be. They will stretch double its hight and at times even more during the flowering stretch

coherent

coherent

Nope not too soon. It's up to you based on what you want to do and available space etc. Generally speaking longer veg equals bigger plants and more yield. You can switch when they are seedlings if you want (obviously your yield will be small) or keep it in extended veg and lst, top, or just let it grow. Normally a plant will double or so in size after the switch. It's completely up to you!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
with those lights it’ll take forever in veg to grow big, what lights you using for flowering?
trust me and invest in what you need to make it work good.
that way is just not worth it and you’ll see.

growsince79

growsince79

Nope not too soon. It's up to you based on what you want to do and available space etc. Generally speaking longer veg equals bigger plants and more yield. You can switch when they are seedlings if you want (obviously your yield will be small) or keep it in extended veg and lst, top, or just let it grow. Normally a plant will double or so in size after the switch. It's completely up to you!
That is true, however shorter veg times can produce a much higher relative yield. You can spend 4 months veg to get a pound off one plant, or you could veg 4 plants for one month and get your pound in half the time.

Kirkb

Kirkb

with those lights it’ll take forever in veg to grow big, what lights you using for flowering?
trust me and invest in what you need to make it work good.
that way is just not worth it and you’ll see.

Really? I went to these CFL lights cause of this site and suggestions. I do have other LED’s but the ones currently being used seem to work great. I just add more so the bottom fan leaves receive the light as well.

71D973E6 A53E 46D3 AA13 74FE07FDC642
8B18499D AF75 4A93 A8C8 08C2F8C2EF60
growsince79

growsince79

IMO cfl is the best light you can have for seedlings and a short veg. Beats hid or lead hands down. A mixture of warm and cool white is perfect. For flower you will do better with hid or led.

Kirkb

Kirkb

IMO cfl is the best light you can have for seedlings and a short veg. Beats hid or lead hands down. A mixture of warm and cool white is perfect. For flower you will do better with hid or led.

Ok, just added a led after these posts. Going to 12/12 probably tomorrow.

hotrod717

hotrod717

What type of LED is the question? Most times people are referring to LED Quantum boards, not household LED bulbs. Not that it wont work, but for light output, efficiency, and yield, HID and now Quantum boards have been the most prominent type of grow lights used and recommended.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Transplant into 5gal. Wait 1 week. Then flip.
Mr.G

Kirkb

Kirkb

I went ahead and got the 600 watt LED and yes, I’m already seeing a difference in grow. This light has the option for veg lights or bloom lights so I have them both on.....that ok? Also how imperative is it that I seal off the top where no light escapes? I have cut outs in the side of the tent so I can get some air flow in there via a small fan so I need to leave them open but wondering about the top.

4815A406 44B0 4B98 96FF 9D4AEBE9DF5B
FA75DE8C 070F 4CD5 BA23 57FE8A9401CB
32A1CB58 C297 48FA 90F2 B86C8F3FEDCA
688E8404 99BF 4450 A3F1 EDE22FC58A62
C670D61F 77E6 4D12 9765 181BBF0F26FA
3EFC976B 13FC 4A49 8649 5BF948903183
E21D9CAC A07C 467F ACE6 3E3E2C59B85B
growsince79

growsince79

Hi. My two plants are about 17” tall and 14” wide. I honestly can’t remember how long they have been in the vegetative stage due to having problems when they were smaller. I’d say about 2 months. My question is can I go ahead and switch to flowering now or will my yield be very little? I do have more seeds where I can let them go longer but I have no supply and would like to just rush these two even if I get a small yield. Also, won’t these grow almost double in size during the flowering stage anyways? I’m still new to this. Thanks.
If yield is no concern, it's never too soon to go 12-12. IMO a healthy plant grown to maturity 12-12 from seed or clone will have the exact same terps and potency as if it was vegged 6 months before flowering to maturity. I've had plants that start flowering at 6" and made less than 1/2 ounce, and I've had plants that didn't start to flower for 3 months and made 1/2 pound at maturity. I've also had everything in between. In all cases, the 12-12 from seed plants had the exact same taste and potency as their clones that were vegged. So if you think big plants are more potent or taste better- you are wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom