Top Bud is browning is it Bud Rot?

• Thread starter rax420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rax420

rax420

Hello,
I am 8 weeks into flower of my first grow. Today i noticed some brown sugar leaves on the highest bud, idk if it is bud rot or maybe just a burn. Maybe someone here can give me an educated guess. Ty
Top bud is browning is it bud rot
Top bud is browning is it bud rot 2

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

That's a pretty small bud to have bud rot, but it is possible. I'd take the bud off, bring it to a different room and open it up and see what's up. With bud rot, the affected tissue should just crumble. If it's burnt in some way, the problem should just be on the surface.

rax420

rax420

I did chop the bud and opened it up, there were white hairy stuff and brow nasty stuff inside. I think the rh had spiked in the night so. I hope it didn't affect the other plants. Should I chop the whole plant or can it recover. I brought a dehumidifier inside the tent to lower the rh. Can I do something else, like disinfect the tent or plants or something? Thank you for your help guys

Rooke

Rooke

Hey there I would chop it down ASAP don’t wait as it’s probably spreading already remove the plant and take the affected part off above and below 2-3 inches don’t smoke it. The spores are probably airborne watch for it on your other plants wash your hands really good after dealing with the affected plant and change your clothes best of luck

freezeland2

freezeland2

If the sugar leafs will pull out with the slightest pressure then there is a good chance there will be bud rot present where the leaf detached from.

rax420

rax420

I checked some other buds and cut some open in an other room and they are all good, no mold no easy plucking and so on

Rooke

Rooke

Take anything from 2-3 inches off below it or nearby and keep your rh low like 40% and cross your fingers. Wipe all your walls floor etc. With bleach and water. I hope it doesn’t come back buddy!

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

I've just noticed bud rot on mine, I'm in week 8 of 10, buds are super dense but not finished, im still feeding them. RH is 56%, im finding it impossible to lower further, the area is full of buds, several plants are affected and I've started to chop off affected areas and check inside other buds. I've only ever had bud rot in drying before so I'm wondering if I should chop down the whole crop now without any flush or do I risk the flush and potentially more buds getting rot?

Also I saw a video where they give buds a bath of hydrogen peroxide at a ratio of 4:1 water and hydrogen peroxide. The only hydrogen peroxide I have is an additive called "liquid oxygen" which is 11% hydrogen peroxide but the video I watched they used 3% hydrogen peroxide so im wondering if:
a) Will it work i.e. has anybody tried this personally?
b) Do I still bath it in the same ratio of 4:1 with my bottle being 11% hydrogen peroxide and not 3%???
c) How are you supposed to dry after dunking them in water? Flash dry? Putting buds in water is so counterintuitive to me, seems like it would make things worse???

Ponky

Ponky

I've just noticed bud rot on mine, I'm in week 8 of 10, buds are super dense but not finished, im still feeding them. RH is 56%, im finding it impossible to lower further, the area is full of buds, several plants are affected and I've started to chop off affected areas and check inside other buds. I've only ever had bud rot in drying before so I'm wondering if I should chop down the whole crop now without any flush or do I risk the flush and potentially more buds getting rot?

Also I saw a video where they give buds a bath of hydrogen peroxide at a ratio of 4:1 water and hydrogen peroxide. The only hydrogen peroxide I have is an additive called "liquid oxygen" which is 11% hydrogen peroxide but the video I watched they used 3% hydrogen peroxide so im wondering if:
b) Do I still bath it in the same ratio of 4:1 with my bottle being 11% hydrogen peroxide and not 3%???
c) How are you supposed to dry after dunking them in water? Flash dry? Putting buds in water is so counterintuitive to me, seems like it would make things worse???
When you find bud rot you're racing the clock. I personally chop it. Break it down. Speed dry it. Get rid if it. Buy something better. Every day it advances you lose weight. And it won't get better in quality. And there's generally no stopping bud rot at all.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I always wash my outside buds. After a wash, the water frequently looks a bit dirty. I do this whether or not I've had rot.

3% hydrogen peroxide is what you'll find in the pharmaceutical section of your local Walmart, Target, etc. It's very cheap so it makes sense to use it over your higher priced "liquid oxygen." While I am sure it "could" be used, you would not use it at a ratio of 4:1. You would want it closer to 16:1 with 11% (without crunching the math to be exact).

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

I always wash my outside buds. After a wash, the water frequently looks a bit dirty. I do this whether or not I've had rot.

3% hydrogen peroxide is what you'll find in the pharmaceutical section of your local Walmart, Target, etc. It's very cheap so it makes sense to use it over your higher priced "liquid oxygen." While I am sure it "could" be used, you would not use it at a ratio of 4:1. You would want it closer to 16:1 with 11% (without crunching the math to be exact).
When you wash your buds in the peroxide mix, do you wash them with pure water after? How do you dry them after, just hang them up as normal or put them on cardboard etc.

growsince79

growsince79

Do you think washing the buds makes the mold smoke better? I'd just throw it away and smoke something that's not rotten.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

When you wash your buds in the peroxide mix, do you wash them with pure water after? How do you dry them after, just hang them up as normal or put them on cardboard etc.
I put the buds in a colander like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodcook-Plastic-6-Quart-Green-Strainer-Colander/39665262 and then do a 3 step wash. Fresh water, fresh water/H2O2 mix, fresh water. I fill a mixing bowl part way with cold water and place the buds in the collander and give is a gentle agitation for a few minutes. Then I shake out the access water and repeat until I've completed the 3 steps. Most people hang their buds in a cool dry dark place and use an oscillating fan to move the air. I take my wet buds and dump them in a paper bag, shake them gently and then pour the buds into my drying net with an oscillating fan circulating the air (not blowing directly on the net).

@growsince79 never smoke or try to clean rotten bud (I know you know that). The wash is not to remove mold and rot. It's to remove dirt and bug sh*t and stuff. If it was grown outside, it's dirtier than people think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom