top dressing with mycorrhizae? yes/no

• Thread starter dean1963
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dean1963

i had planned on dusting the roots with it when transplanting but order got delayed until to late.
as usual the internet says top dressing doesn't work and the next guy says it works.
has anyone top dressed with good results here?
or should i just wait until next round?
thanks guys/gals

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

see little benefit to you plant top dressing myco brother, are plants in final container

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

There are a number of products that contain beneficial microbes that can be watered in. Real Grower's Recharge is very good, although pretty expensive. I use Roots Organic's "Microbe Charge" myself. It's quite a bit cheaper. I also keep a bag of Mykos on hand.

If you want to add a top dressing, probably the cheapest route to go is worm castings. I'm not sure if its what you're looking for since the post was specifically about mycorrhizea but there's an abundance of microbial goodness in worm castings as well.

D

dean1963

i'm not sure if it's powder or pellets it's stil not here yet. it's

some people say it has to touch the roots or be within 5 mil of them.​

i tried to find the gaia green grow method thread on here but forgot the guys name, i know he mentioned myko.​

sorry for the bold writing, i can't seem to shut them off after my copy and paste, lol​

D

dean1963

There are a number of products that contain beneficial microbes that can be watered in. Real Grower's Recharge is very good, although pretty expensive. I use Roots Organic's "Microbe Charge" myself. It's quite a bit cheaper. I also keep a bag of Mykos on hand.

If you want to add a top dressing, probably the cheapest route to go is worm castings. I'm not sure if its what you're looking for since the post was specifically about mycorrhizea but there's an abundance of microbial goodness in worm castings as well.
yes the thread was about mycorrhizea and i think it was yours.
i thought mycorrhizea was a fungus for the roots and beneficial microbes were needed to break down the nutes in the soil.
sometimes i never wish i found this awesome site as the more i read on it the more confused i get and the more i try to do.
i think KISS should be my motto
lol

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Mycorrhizea is a fungus. It also falls under what I consider a "beneficial microbe." It's just a specific type. As for starting a thread about it? No but I've answered many ... I believe its one of your best friends as a gardener.

D

dean1963

Mycorrhizea is a fungus. It also falls under what I consider a "beneficial microbe." It's just a specific type. As for starting a thread about it? No but I've answered many ... I believe its one of your best friends as a gardener.
awesome thanks. would you top dress or just wait for next round?
and i think maybe it was shaded method for growing with gaia green?
can anyone point me to the correct thread please. i can't find it now

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

For mycorrhizea to have a benefit to your plants, it does need to be in contact with the roots. However, mycorrhizea colonizes and forms a web through your soil. So if it's in your soil mix (most good mixes have it in there), its likely your roots are already in contact with it. At this point, if it were mine, I would be feeding them aerated microbial teas. The microbes will help in breaking down the organics so the mycorrhizea can help transfer it into the root system.

@Shaded_One can fill you in on his method. I haven't used it, but I know its good. It shows in his results.

S

Stonemason7767

You
You Can top dress they help make your organic nutrients available to your plants. It can also help to protect against disease .if you have to much organic material in your soil they can make it a little hot for the plants at first, by making to much of it available at once.kinda like a compost pile heating up.use sparingly .the less on is not to be a more on when it comes to microbes.you can make a tea also and water them in.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

You

You Can top dress they help make your organic nutrients available to your plants. It can also help to protect against disease .if you have to much organic material in your soil they can make it a little hot for the plants at first, by making to much of it available at once.kinda like a compost pile heating up.use sparingly .the less on is not to be a more on when it comes to microbes.you can make a tea also and water them in.

The longer your microbial tea is brewed, the hotter your soil will be. 24 hrs is as long as I'll ever brew my teas so keep that in mind as well. It goes along with what @Stonemason7767 was stating about frequency ... length of time of aerated brewing is another factor that needs to be considered.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

great, thanks a lot everyone.
i do use activated essential microbes and myco chum along with top dressing gaia green.
i'll wait until next grow to use mycorrhizae that should come soon.
Great White is an awesome innoculant. I always have the "salt shaker" on hand. I don't buy it in large amounts since a little goes a long way. When planting from seed, I'll sprinkle a little in the hole. I use it at transplant from a solo cup to my first larger container. I use one gallon usually for first transplant. I don't use it when I transplant from the one gallon containers to their final home though. Others do but I don't. What you want to do is establish a good colony early on when your plants are young. If you do that, it's there and doing what its supposed to do and stays with the plant through out its life cycle.

S

Stonemason7767

The longer your microbial tea is brewed, the hotter your soil will be. 24 hrs is as long as I'll ever brew my teas so keep that in mind as well. It goes along with what @Stonemason7767 was stating about frequency ... length of time of aerated brewing is another factor that needs to be considered.
I like 24 hours on my tea brews can make very few microbes go a long way.i have a vortex brewer that works great.air stones work good to.i make large 55 gallon brews in the spring to inculate my mulch before I put it down in the veggie garden and paths in the garden.
Its sort of an advanced technique, but if you have the time(and are a big enough nerd) you can collect and breed your own microbes.i made a 400lb pile this fall for my garden this spring. I use 7 different collections from old growth forest near my property. Its about a 2 week process of spreading them through different substrates and native soil.you have to flip the piles every night and morning to keep them under 120 degrees. If it gets to hot in the pile the anaerobic bacteria will take over and kill your boys.

20221112 133454
C

CocoFun

i had planned on dusting the roots with it when transplanting but order got delayed until to late.
as usual the internet says top dressing doesn't work and the next guy says it works.
has anyone top dressed with good results here?
or should i just wait until next round?
thanks guys/ga
Hey brother, you can water it in. I start and finish in the ground. So I can't transplant anything, well, my seedlings but that's a pinch of Miko's, I water mine in. VERRRY slowly. VERRRY slowly.
I like Orca. Orca is the best imo, flexibility.
It's like 20 bucks, last a year.

Top Bottom