Top of Plants Wilting and Drooping, Help!

• Thread starter rmarti55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmarti55

rmarti55

Have a small basic outdoor grow that is recently experiencing wilting or drooping plants in the early vegetative state. Already lost two and it's now spreading to one side of garden. Killing plants off very quickly, in a matter of days. Recent batch experiencing problems started drooping overnight.

Plants are in 10 gallon bags, basic 420 mix of soil. Gave an initial fertilizer of organic nitrogen into soil and by watering. Starting happening right away to first plants that were newly transplanted but now spreading to the rest of garden including plants that are still in original pots (not transplanted).

Very distinct drooping and wilting at top of plants even though rest of plant looks healthy, green, leaves are not discolored, stems look strong.

Only thing I can imagine is overwatering but soil feels dry to the touch, bags aren't super wet at the bottom (a little moist). There is a sprinkler that goes off at night, maybe that's doing it, but plants don't seem to look like textbook overwater.

Take a look at pictures, please help!

Top of plants wilting and drooping help
Top of plants wilting and drooping help 2
Top of plants wilting and drooping help 3
Top of plants wilting and drooping help 4
Top of plants wilting and drooping help 5
Top of plants wilting and drooping help 6
Top of plants wilting and drooping help 7
Okie338

Okie338

Have a small basic outdoor grow that is recently experiencing wilting or drooping plants in the early vegetative state. Already lost two and it's now spreading to one side of garden. Killing plants off very quickly, in a matter of days. Recent batch experiencing problems started drooping overnight.

Plants are in 10 gallon bags, basic 420 mix of soil. Gave an initial fertilizer of organic nitrogen into soil and by watering. Starting happening right away to first plants that were newly transplanted but now spreading to the rest of garden including plants that are still in original pots (not transplanted).

Very distinct drooping and wilting at top of plants even though rest of plant looks healthy, green, leaves are not discolored, stems look strong.

Only thing I can imagine is overwatering but soil feels dry to the touch, bags aren't super wet at the bottom (a little moist). There is a sprinkler that goes off at night, maybe that's doing it, but plants don't seem to look like textbook overwater.

Looks like you could possibly have root rot

KLight03

KLight03

I'm not an expert at this and I also grow in coco, but I noticed this wanted to comment so I could follow along. I hope you don't mind. To me, they look like they have too many nutes, but again, I haven't grown in soil. Can you flush out soil like you do coco?

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey marti , what's 420 soil ? You have a pic of the bag ? Looks like it needs to be lightened up with perlite for better drainage ....
What's the outdoor temps , are they in direct sun , they look dry and heat stressed to me....
Maybe give em some water and move to shade , or transplant to lighter soil mix and give recovery time in shade ....

Okie338

Okie338

I'm not an expert at this and I also grow in coco, but I noticed this wanted to comment so I could follow along. I hope you don't mind. To me, they look like they have too many nutes, but again, I haven't grown in soil. Can you flush out soil like you do coco?
You don't want to use cocoa, especially outside because you have to water them or feed them every day! Coco is like a soilless as it's more for indoor, it's basically hydroponic.

KLight03

KLight03

You don't want to use cocoa, especially outside because you have to water them or feed them every day! Coco is like a soilless as it's more for indoor, it's basically hydroponic.
Thank you. I wouldn't think coco would work outdoors since I'm trying to mimic the outdoor environment indoors with coco, so that makes sense. My question is, can/do y'all flush soil if there are too many nutes like you would with coco?

Dr.B

Dr.B

You can flush soil, it won't flush all the nutrient out and it will take longer to dry. If your roots are in distress the plants might not take well to a flush.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Thank you. I wouldn't think coco would work outdoors since I'm trying to mimic the outdoor environment indoors with coco, so that makes sense. My question is, can/do y'all flush soil if there are too many nutes like you would with coco?
Yes I have done that with a soil mix I used for tomatoes, flushed it once let it drain dry out a bit then flushed again with 1/4 strength feed with some worm casting tea let drain dry out a bit then grew up a storm , after being a Nursery man for a few years you have to make up the required mix for what plants your growing at the time we would always hold back on the amount of fert we put in knowing most potting soils are to hot . That’s why if I grow in soil mix I flush I don’t know if what’s on the bag is what’s in the bag you get my drift here . Od

KLight03

KLight03

Yes I have done that with a soil mix I used for tomatoes, flushed it once let it drain dry out a bit then flushed again with 1/4 strength feed with some worm casting tea let drain dry out a bit then grew up a storm , after being a Nursery man for a few years you have to make up the required mix for what plants your growing at the time we would always hold back on the amount of fert we put in knowing most potting soils are to hot . That’s why if I grow in soil mix I flush I don’t know if what’s on the bag is what’s in the bag you get my drift here . Od
Copy that. Thank you very much. @rmarti55 , thank you for your patience while I ask questions on your thread.

Rooke

Rooke

Hey there just a couple of ? For you. When did you transplant these gals? Or have they been in these bags for awhile? Did you harden them at all? Are they in full sun all day if so put your hand on the side of your bag when the sun is at its strongest are the black bags heating up your root zone if so stick a thermometer in from the edge of your bag in an inch or 2 and see what the temperature is at because if you have hot ambient temperatures it could cause issues especially if there’s a lot of peat in your mix. I’m just trying to help you figure this out so it doesn’t get worse and they can recover I’m an outdoor grower and I put heavy white poly around anything black

9CCBA175 4673 48E0 8D6C 79FCD4F4C98D
Okie338

Okie338

I put everything that I grow in fabric pots, inside or outside. To me I can control everything much easier using my own medium which is Pete MosTo me I can control everything much easier using my own medium, 75% peat and 25% perlite, also some growers use a small percentage of coco. Since I've put everything in the crockpot I will flush on occasion everSince I've put everything in the cloth pots, I'll flush a couple times. SLF-100 is a microbe amendment, that's supposed to break down salt left over from nutrients. I just bought it I'm gonna give it a try, from the reviews it supposed to be amazing stuff. You don't have flush as often. Good luck homeboy 💯

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So The Mulch on top needs to come off what kind of soil are you in why are people saying you're in Coco they look like they're too dry and maybe they didn't harden off like mr. Madbud said I would definitely put them in the shade till I worked out the issue

rmarti55

rmarti55

So The Mulch on top needs to come off what kind of soil are you in why are people saying you're in Coco they look like they're too dry and maybe they didn't harden off like mr. Madbud said I would definitely put them in the shade till I worked out the issue
you guys don't mulch?

mancorn

mancorn

Looks under watered to me with the drooping stems. (The leaves typical droop, not the stem if over watered.) If you transplant and the plant starts wilting, the roots are dry. It doesn't matter if the bottom of the pot is wet, there's no roots down at the bottom. You need to water the existing root zone for a few days before moving irrigation out to the pot edge to encourage root growth. If the roots area is dry I’d give them a good watering and move into the shade.

wtfdaemon

wtfdaemon

you guys don't mulch?

I definitely mulch, but I'm up in the dry northern california climate. Water retention (and drainage) are important to me, and I feel like it helps keep the roots/plants a little cooler. Black dirt in black fabric pots can get hot when it's mid-summer.

wtfdaemon

wtfdaemon

Looks under watered to me with the drooping stems. (The leaves typical droop, not the stem if over watered.) If you transplant and the plant starts wilting, the roots are dry. It doesn't matter if the bottom of the pot is wet, there's no roots down at the bottom. You need to water the existing root zone for a few days before moving irrigation out to the pot edge to encourage root growth. If the roots area is dry I’d give them a good watering and move into the shade.

Agree, this looks like underwatering/heat stroke to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom